Author Topic: CD Article: 2009 Toyota Corolla  (Read 49213 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2009 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2008, 08:15:28 pm »
I think it's naiive to think that this engine will not be as reliable as past Toyota engines.

So we should presume that it is just as likely to sludge up as past Toyoda engines?  ???

My dad drives a 2000 Corolla with 1.8 litre VVT engine, and he never experienced any sludge.

From what I gather, none of the Corollas suffered from it, and just one mistake shouldn't taint Toyota's reliability.  Talk about recent years.  Don't go back 7+ years!

I've had 3 corollas ,mine never suffered from sludge. I always changed the oil at 5000km intervals.like every car i have owned. The sludge issue was apparently with the 3 liter V6. I would have bought another but don't like Toyota's "Saturn Pricing". I like to negotiate a price.

2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2008, 01:35:00 am »
We've had a couple pretty decent test drives in the 09 Corolla now, and this is what I think...

Driving the CE, it is not long on power, but the power/weight ratio is more than enough to scoot in and out of traffic.  I wish they'd gone with a five speed AT, but the 4-speed's ratios are very well chosen and the engine is easy to keep on the boil if you want to.

The interior fit and finish is better than the 08 version.  Materials are a notch higher and the panel fit is excellent.  The ride is very refined and on-ramp performance is not BMW-like, but easily controlled.  The new electric power steering is still overboosted, but feels better than the 08 version.

The exterior is not a major departure, but the lines are smoother and I suspect will age very well.  One of the missions of the Corolla is to retain its value, and this one will.

The Corolla is not an enthusiast car, but as an economical commuter, it is now about the best new car value imaginable.  Civic, Fit, 3 are all priced higher now when equipped like a Corolla.  The CE AT enhanced package is $20,700 including GST (Alberta) and with cruise, pw, pdl, keyless, heated power mirrors and AC, that's a lot of car for the dough.

What sells this car is the Toyota quality.  For someone looking for a no-nonsense sedan that gets exceptional fuel economy and is priced below pretty much all others, this is it.

Now, to choose between the dark grey and bright silver....

Greg B.

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:44 am »
What sells this car is the Toyota quality. 

Be careful. That may no longer be a safe assumption given recent problems.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2008, 09:10:58 am »
133 one note posts.  Statistically speaking, Toyota, Honda and Subaru are still the most reliable brands sold today.  The Corolla, Echo and subsequent Yaris are among the most reliable models sold, period.  You can go on abot Tundra problems, but they have not effected the entry level product lines.  Go ahead and bring up the long gone sludge issue, but who cares?  I don't like that Toyota had to be sued to deal with it, but it's over.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24:46 am »
I dont if that true John, watching the F1, and the Toyota blew apart after hitting a couple of bumps :run:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

The Corolla is not an enthusiast car, but as an economical commuter, it is now about the best new car value imaginable.  Civic, Fit, 3 are all priced higher now when equipped like a Corolla.  The CE AT enhanced package is $20,700 including GST (Alberta) and with cruise, pw, pdl, keyless, heated power mirrors and AC, that's a lot of car for the dough.

19.9 For LE in ON before taxes but all the bells and whistles are in except maybe a sunroof. I seriously had hard time imagining what I would add to LE.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 10:04:24 am by DanYanoff »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Greg B.

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 12:27:12 pm »
133 one note posts. 

Ooops, forgot whose post I was responding to. Sorry to bring up such a sensitive topic. In any event yours is a nonsensical response, equivalent to me saying you have 4900 fanboy posts. I would never contend that.

Statistically speaking, Toyota, Honda and Subaru are still the most reliable brands sold today.

Historical statistics. Those are what Tundra, Tacoma, and Camry buyers counted on. But the failures of those vehicles showed that the recent designs bear little relation to the reliable Toyos of the past.

The Corolla, Echo and subsequent Yaris are among the most reliable models sold, period.  You can go on abot Tundra problems, but they have not effected the entry level product lines.  Go ahead and bring up the long gone sludge issue, but who cares?  I don't like that Toyota had to be sued to deal with it, but it's over.

Clearly the recent efforts of Toyota have not been up to the same standard as their past models. Too much growth, cost cutting for more profits demanded back in Japan, weaker management, who knows, but they are no longer the same sure bet. Why the Corolla would escape this phenomenon escapes me. It may be a very good car but clearly making the argument that "quality is what will sell this car" is speculation at best. More accurate to say "consumers belief of quality as based on past reputation".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2008, 03:15:24 pm »
Ooops, forgot whose post I was responding to. Sorry to bring up such a sensitive topic. In any event yours is a nonsensical response, equivalent to me saying you have 4900 fanboy posts. I would never contend that.

It's not the number of posts.  It's the single "Toyota is baaad" response.  Every maker has problems, and Honda/Toyota/Subaru have not been immune.  How is the assumption that because the Tundra has had some problems so will the Corolla any less nonsensical than the idea that the Corolla has not had problems in the past, so the odds are that it won't in the future?

All stats are historical.  That is their nature.  Predictions are based upon them, and looking at reports from outfits like Consumer Reports (one of a few sources of independant data) we can see that ALL cars have increased in quality over the last 15 years, and the gap between Toyota and Honda and the others has shrunk.  Your odds of getting a long lived reliable car today are the best they've ever been.

But, many of the folks around here rarely consider "Big Three" products.  Why?  The quality of those products has  increased.  Is it a problem of perception?  Perhaps somewhat.  But, the Big Three are also still resting on the massive margins from large trucks and SUV's (and GM still bleeds red ink) and not investing in their compact car lines.  The Focus is in many ways more interesting than a Corolla, but if you're looking for refinement in your boring everyday commuter, the Toyota has it in spades over pretty much everything else.  The Mazda 3 should be easily matched by Ford's offerings (shared platforms) but Ford has no offering with the pizzazz of the 3.

Then The Big Three do come out with some great stuff, but the dealers get in the way.  I visted a Dodge dealer and the last thing I felt like doing was buying a car.  The Ford dealer was no different.  High pressure, obvious lying and deceptive advertising run rampant in the business, and for some reason Big Three branded dealers seem to be worse.

As for being a "fanboy" you're mistaken.  I am loyal to no brand past what I can see.  I owned a series of Mercedes products based on the excellent service and driving experience they provided, but today Mercedes is at the bottom of the quality heap, so they are long off my list.  Subaru, on the other hand, keeps my business as my positive experiences continue.  I have nothing to go on but information based on prior experience, be it in the form of Consumer Reports, my own, or my friends, and others I might encounter.

Oddly, I have never owned a Toyota (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Honda, Acura, Mazda, Subaru, Triumph, Chevrolet, Jeep, GMC, but not Toyota) and I'm looking forward to giving them a try.  Besides, my wife really likes the car, and staying married is the real objective, right...    ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2008, 04:05:57 pm »
The Mazda 3 should be easily matched by Ford's offerings (shared platforms) but Ford has no offering with the pizzazz of the 3.

Why does everyone expect Ford to compete with various Mazda models?  Ford partly owns Mazda!  It's like complaining that Toyota doesn't compete well enough with Subaru.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2008, 04:43:37 pm »
The Mazda 3 should be easily matched by Ford's offerings (shared platforms) but Ford has no offering with the pizzazz of the 3.

Why does everyone expect Ford to compete with various Mazda models?  Ford partly owns Mazda!  It's like complaining that Toyota doesn't compete well enough with Subaru.

Partly owns.  And isn't the Focus a 3 competitor?  I think the Focus could be a class leading offering, but Ford has lacked the daring to do so.  Honda FINALLY made a bold-ish move with the 06 Civic, and it's paid off handsomely.

Mitlov

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2008, 05:25:25 pm »
Partly owns.  And isn't the Focus a 3 competitor? 

30% is pretty major ownership in the corporate world.

The 3 isn't a direct competitor with the Focus.  The Focus is a cheaper, more mass-market car.   The 3 is more of a premium compact car, but you pay a hefty price for that premium.  In the States, at least, the Mazda3 is a little bit of a niche car, whereas the Focus is the one that sells to the people who want cheap basic transportation.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2008, 08:17:24 pm »
Partly owns.  And isn't the Focus a 3 competitor? 

30% is pretty major ownership in the corporate world.

The 3 isn't a direct competitor with the Focus.  The Focus is a cheaper, more mass-market car.   The 3 is more of a premium compact car, but you pay a hefty price for that premium.  In the States, at least, the Mazda3 is a little bit of a niche car, whereas the Focus is the one that sells to the people who want cheap basic transportation.

In Canada I would say the Focus is a direct competitor it's in the same class . Premium or not it's what Ford offers in this size of car. Do we want to do a Mazda  6 ,Ford Fusion comparison also?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
I would agree that Focus and Mazda3 are in the same class. The fact that Ford's option is to offer a lesser car and sell it for less money too is different. I don't think Mazda3 was in any way designed to be a premium vehicle in the class, just a very well built vehicle for a good price.
When I was shopping this class back in 2005, Mazda3 was cheaper AND better equipped than Civic, Corolla AND Focus for as similar as possible trims/options (based on the MSRP prices).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »
Calling johngenx a fan boy is the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a long time.

The Corolla is a great car for its intended market. Now if they would only make the Corolla wagon I might actually buy one. Matrix need not apply.

Greg B.

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
Calling johngenx a fan boy is the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a long time.

If that had occurred then you might have been correct. Since it didn't I have no idea what you are contending.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2008, 06:41:27 pm »
you have 4900 fanboy posts.

Intimation.  Your actual phrasing was convoluted, so we're still not quite sure, but you did use the term, so we're going with that...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:25 pm »

The Corolla is a great car for its intended market. Now if they would only make the Corolla wagon I might actually buy one. Matrix need not apply.

I agree always liked the 93-97 corolla wagon with 1.8 liter engine.  More cargo capacity than the sedan.I 've seen quite a few 09 corolla's
on the road already.

I think everyone on here is a fanboy to some degree. It would be a dull world if we all drove the same cars. ;)

Greg B.

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2008, 08:10:15 pm »
you have 4900 fanboy posts.

Intimation.  Your actual phrasing was convoluted, so we're still not quite sure, but you did use the term, so we're going with that...

No, let's be clear, shall we?

Here's the exact full quote:

In any event yours is a nonsensical response, equivalent to me saying you have 4900 fanboy posts. I would never contend that.

"Intimation"? Utter nonsense, my friend. It could not be more clear that it means precisely the opposite.

Nice try though.

mar1990

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:13 pm »
We've had a couple pretty decent test drives in the 09 Corolla now, and this is what I think...

Now, to choose between the dark grey and bright silver....

I see I've jumped late into the game, but Johngenx, weren't you the same guy very much put off by the Toyota's dealer's arrogance?  What gives?  The "stay married' part   8) 

As an owner of a silver 03 Corolla, I would not get that colour again.   When we chose that colour (by process of compromise,-- see the "stay married" part), we didn't realize how popular/common that colour is. Granted, the 'doesn't look too dirty part' is a bit of a blessing now with salt/wet season taking hold.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2008, 10:11:54 pm »

Agreed about the 09 matrix. I'm yet to see a more ridiculous 09 design. The belt line is too high, the rear visibility is close to 0 and for some reason they reduced the rear window area with black plastic film on it. Some cars look like they do a 100 miles/ hour when standing still. Well, matrix looks exactly the opposite IMO. It looks like a donkey that stretches its legs in all directions so it cant be moved.
I saw a corolla in sport package for half a second and it looks awesome in front.