Author Topic: Which subwoofer is better  (Read 21437 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Which subwoofer is better
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »
Future shop has Energy S8.3 power subwoofer on sale for $100 buck off at $249. It is 100 watt 8 inch.

Best Buy has Infinity PS-28 on sale for $150 buck off at $249. It si 150 watt 8 inch.

I own 16 year old Energy 22 speakers. They were well respected back then and I have been pleased with them. I do not know much about Infinity.

I just planning to use this to enhance my audio system in my living room. I want to provide a richer sound to easy listening. My living room has only wall mounted satilite speaker by Kilpch. They need some help on the low end. I not looking for booming rap music etc etc

For the same money I do not know which is a better speaker. Does anybody know anything about either one?

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Which subwoofer is better
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:29:29 pm »
Is there any chance you can go into FS and listen to them both? 

That said, my money would go to Energy based on their reputation.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
I'd buy them both and take back the one I didn't like  ;)

If I had to pick one, go with Energy. At this price point, the difference will be minimal.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:05:36 pm »
Infinity has a very good reputation for car audio, I can only assume their home products are equally good.  Energy has a very good reputation in general, however.  So you'd probably be very happy with either, but the Energy might offer a little more piece of mind when you meet the cashier.  ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »
I just checked the specs on the web, the Energy has better numbers, low freq is 27Hz, the Infinity is 35Hz. Energy also has higher peak power at 400W. Looks a bit better, IMO.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:00:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I might check them out but leaning towards energy as was suggested by many.

I not a fan of Future Shop's customer service and I suspect there might be a re-stocking fee. I hate giving my money to them but in this case they have what I want.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:36:16 pm »
i tho't "FEEDBACK" woz tha last thing ya wanted,,,,,,,,,,,Oi Oi....BooYaaHHHH..BZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ :bang: :stick:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:42:08 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I might check them out but leaning towards energy as was suggested by many.

I not a fan of Future Shop's customer service and I suspect there might be a re-stocking fee. I hate giving my money to them but in this case they have what I want.

I feel the same way.  Just get in, find what you want, reject the advances of any salesslime, and get out.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »
If ya can READ this yer SUB WOOFER is ...is SOOB STANDARD!!! ;)

barrie1

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:48 pm »
If possible I would take some of my own music with you to the stores and try them both out if possible. I have done this on several occasion in better grade music stores here and it does help in buying speakers of any kind. The Canadian brand speakers are extremely well made and have been for many years jow as well. I do know the Infinity brand has been very good in the car series but don't know about the house equipment. I am useing Bose 901's,501's and a JVC commercial woofer on my system which i know to be quite good as well.   :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:36:29 am »
He's buying from Futureshop those no return issues, just buy both and try it but I agree with initial_D Energy looks good.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38:27 am »
I have to agree with Las. When buying electronics and/or speakers you should find a reputable store that will let you test the product at home first if you are unsure. The environment can make/break how these items will sound so when you get it home, it may not sound like it did in the store.

Besides, many FS stores don’t have good listening environments set up to begin with.

Always know the return policy or get it in writing.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 03:07:38 pm »
Not to sound loike an audio snob but an 8 inch Sub isn't really a sub woofer at all. Especially if the low frequency extension down to 30-35hz. There are many floor standing speakers" that easily go down to 40hz. Save another $100 or so and buy a used 12 inch sub or if you must buy new s decent 10 inch one.

Something that goes down closer to 20hz and that you'll get bass instead of boom.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »
2late: I agree that a true sub should be able to hit 25hz with ease but I think you missed the OP’s request of inexpensive (<$300) subwoofer. Try finding a sub for under $300 that can truly reach 20hz let alone 25hz flat, I don’t think they are out there and if it is, I’ll buy two. The Energy is rated -3db @ 27hz which is really good for this price point. Plus the OP is only looking for something to only fill out the bass from the other speakers, not something that will play pipe organ music with clarity. This sub should excel at the OP’s request.

Also, just because a sub does not reach 20hz it does not mean it will be boomy….that would be a function of poor design. There are lots of great subs out there that are only 8 or 10 inches that sound amazing, quick and tight when listening to music, everybody doesn’t need a sub to play big movie explosions at 120db so their windows blow out. Personally, I would take quality over quantity. Of course, 20 years ago, it was a different story.  ;)

With respect to floor standing speakers that can truly go down to 40hz, these also cost good money but  if they are cheap, you will also get a boomy sound.

But thats just my opinion  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »
Something else to listen for is background amplifier noise. I have a powered 10" Energy sub (old model, an ES-10) and I find the background 'hum' very annoying. Depends how quiet your house is, of course, it couldn't be heard in the store. I much prefer a cheap unpowered sub I use now.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 04:04:07 pm »
Something else to listen for is background amplifier noise. I have a powered 10" Energy sub (old model, an ES-10) and I find the background 'hum' very annoying. Depends how quiet your house is, of course, it couldn't be heard in the store. I much prefer a cheap unpowered sub I use now.

There shouldn't be any background noise with a sub....maybe you have a grounding issue?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »
I bought the Energy 8 inch sub today. I got it because of my previous experiance with energy products. It also looked well made and was canadian to boot.

It sounds pretty good. It will suit my needs just fine. I did not hear any background noise.

Question: It has a phase adjustment control. I do know how to ensure speakers are in phase by connecting them properly. With an RCA connection on sub I have no idea how to adjust phasing. I do not even know how to determine if it is not in phase. I heard about the speaker moving in and out but I cannot visually see that.

By the way. I did not use it in my living room as intended. Here is why.

It was intended to be used in the living room where I have 4 wall mounted Klipsh satelite speakers hooked up to a stereo reciever that has no RCA out jack for a subwoofer. I would have to hook up sub with speaker wire. Because this sub did not have wire connections for speaker in & speaker out I could not hook it up. I decided to buy it anyways and use it downstairs with my 5.1 system by the TV.

I brought up the Mission MS6 sub I had down there because it has the speaker wire terminals I needed for system upstairs.

I wanted the Energy upstairs because it looks better, sounds better and seems to be built much better. I entertain a lot and wanted the best sound upstairs. Oh well another compromise.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 04:20:56 pm »

There shouldn't be any background noise with a sub....maybe you have a grounding issue?

Funny, I was just looking that up, and maybe that is it. It was bought back in the 'pre-google' days so answers were not so easy to find. Will have to try that when I get permanently settled and dig it out of storage. I have to say my Energy speakers have been excellent over the years, despite the continuous moving I've subjected them too.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 04:31:47 pm »
Re: Phase Control

The subwoofer phase control allows a listener to adjust the phase (time) alignment of the subwoofer system relative to the main speakers. Doing so eliminates or minimizes the acoustic cancellation between the subwoofer system and main speakers, the result of them not being in phase within the crossover region as heard at the listener's ear. Phase settings may be a two-position switch (0° or 180°) or a continuous adjustment between these two values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

EDIT:

Where to place your subwoofer?

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/subwoofer-placement-guidelines

Move your subwoofer as close as you can to where you sit. If it's a chair, move the chair aside and place the sub in the spot where the chair was. If it's a couch, slide the couch temporarily out of the way and put the sub about where you usually sit.

Play a DVD with lots of low-frequency effects or a CD with plenty of deep bass, the kind that really kicks your sub into serious bass output. Get out the kneepads and crawl about the room in the general area where you were thinking of locating the sub.

Go several yards in each direction--near the wall, out from the wall, towards a corner, away from the corner, and so on--while you listen for smooth and extended deep bass response, free of exaggeration and "one-note" boom. Mark the spot, then move the subwoofer into that position. Now put the furniture back. If you are using two subwoofers, mark two locations and place the subs in those two positions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:43:35 pm by quadzilla »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 02:05:15 pm »
The shape of my home theater room is horrible for good sound, just a large size room in the basement. I use two 10" powered subs, and they fill the room nicely. None of them handle below 25Hz. Powered subs capable of 20Hz are rather expensive, $500 at least.