Author Topic: EVO and STI CDN Pricing  (Read 10051 times)

Wolfe

Re: EVO and STI CDN Pricing
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 01:14:21 am »
Um, the financial whiz kids and currency traders seem to be waking up to the fact that the US is stumbling face first into a recession, taking the demand for our oil and metals along with it. Say buh bye to parity :hello:

Oil is hovering near triple digits (it actually was pushed up to $100 very briefly) in spite of the US slowdown. 

It hasn't started to bite yet. Patience grasshopper.

Oil prices are being driven by greater-than-ever global demand: there's not enough oil being produced to go around, thanks in large part to China and India's massive growth.  If Americans don't buy it, someone else will. 

That's the conventional wisdom, see my sig for my opinion about the conventional wisdom. (Bonus points if you know who coined the term conventional wisdom. Don't use the Google, that's cheating.)

I disagree, while strong demand has been part of the story behind the large rise in the price of oil over the last few years, I'd argue that the slowing of growth of supply (despite record investment) is the main driver of current prices.

The US is still the biggest consumer of oil. US oil consumption tends to decline during recessions.

Gold has been shattering records lately, too.

In nominal terms, yes. In real value terms it hasn't even gotten halfway back to what it sold for in 1980. I was born in 1980 and in my lifetime there hasn't been a worse performing asset class than gold/precious metals.

The EVO is a hell of a car and so is the STI and both of them are now cheaper than they would have been 5 years ago.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 07:07:05 am »

Wrong way round!  The people lining up to get EVOs will be the die-hards who will pay anything to get one in Canada.  Once they've all paid, then you drop the price...  Apple did exactly that with the iPhone.  They sold it at $599 for the first month or so, and sold tonnes to people who had lined up to get it first.  Then they slashed the price by $200, and in doing so lured in a bunch more customers who may not have bought otherwise.

Not sure if that's what Mitsu wants or is planning, but it's a brilliant (if a bit unscrupulous) move.

That was a very good selling strategy, even if Apple had to give out $100 gift certificates afterwards, to those who bought at the +$200 price.
The $100 gift certificates had to be used at Apple stores only? If so, even smarter move.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 11:24:40 am »
In nominal terms, yes. In real value terms it hasn't even gotten halfway back to what it sold for in 1980. I was born in 1980 and in my lifetime there hasn't been a worse performing asset class than gold/precious metals.

True.  But the explosion of gold prices in the early 80s is an anomaly.  Gold has been climbing since 2000.  Now, if history is a guide, it will begin to fall steeply again in time, but at the moment's it's a good asset to have.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 02:38:34 pm »
Um, the financial whiz kids and currency traders seem to be waking up to the fact that the US is stumbling face first into a recession, taking the demand for our oil and metals along with it. Say buh bye to parity :hello:

Oil is hovering near triple digits (it actually was pushed up to $100 very briefly) in spite of the US slowdown. 

It hasn't started to bite yet. Patience grasshopper.

Oil prices are being driven by greater-than-ever global demand: there's not enough oil being produced to go around, thanks in large part to China and India's massive growth.  If Americans don't buy it, someone else will. 

That's the conventional wisdom, see my sig for my opinion about the conventional wisdom. (Bonus points if you know who coined the term conventional wisdom. Don't use the Google, that's cheating.)

I disagree, while strong demand has been part of the story behind the large rise in the price of oil over the last few years, I'd argue that the slowing of growth of supply (despite record investment) is the main driver of current prices.

The US is still the biggest consumer of oil. US oil consumption tends to decline during recessions.

Gold has been shattering records lately, too.

The EVO is a hell of a car and so is the STI and both of them are now cheaper than they would have been 5 years ago.

I do financial evaluations for mining companies  :) . Now is a good time to buy shares in base mining companies as prices have dropped because of the panic over the situation in the US. In a few years prices will not be quoted in USD as they retreat from being the top world economy  :hello:

ghost

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 02:50:21 pm »
Not sure if that's what Mitsu wants or is planning, but it's a brilliant (if a bit unscrupulous) move.

Not sure that's what's going on, but let's assume for the sake of argument it is.  If the EVO was cheaper from the beginning, dealers would just gouge the buyer.  This way, at least Mitsubishi gets to profit from the initial sales surge, instead of just letting dealers pocket huge mark-ups.

Canadian dealers are not allowed to tack markups over the MSRP unlike in US.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2008, 06:33:05 pm »

Not sure that's what's going on, but let's assume for the sake of argument it is.  If the EVO was cheaper from the beginning, dealers would just gouge the buyer.  This way, at least Mitsubishi gets to profit from the initial sales surge, instead of just letting dealers pocket huge mark-ups.

Canadian dealers are not allowed to tack markups over the MSRP unlike in US.

Do you mean Mitsubishi and Subaru dealers aren't allowed to? Because it does happen with other brands.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 07:59:42 pm »
My Subaru dealer said he would let me have one for $43k without any effort on my part and they have not arrived at his dealership yet.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2008, 11:44:25 pm »
Subaru City in Edmonton has an 08 STi.  No test drives...   :'(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2008, 07:58:12 am »
 ::)"MYSubaru Dealer.............. :rofl: :bang: :stick: :shuffle:...given Mining a PASS eh !!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2008, 11:51:34 am »
So do you think they'll have trouble selling these?

Looking at the US pricing, they're not selling one to me!

robarakira

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2008, 12:34:57 pm »
Everyone thought the EVO would undercut the STi because while the STi went for just over $30k USD, Subaru Canada was exploiting it for $50k CAD.

All I can say is Mitsu Canada will likely never get the inventory to be a high volume player, so they might as well cash in on the few buyers that will come through.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »
So do you think they'll have trouble selling these?

Looking at the US pricing, they're not selling one to me!

That's great. But the question was about whether or not Mitsubishi will have trouble selling these cars in Canada.

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »
My Subaru dealer said he would let me have one for $43k without any effort on my part and they have not arrived at his dealership yet.

My lease on my volvo ends this summer.  Hopefully by then they'll be giving some good discounts.  I doubt it but I can only wish.  I looked at the leasing numbers and for 48months with 0 down payments would be about $820 tax-in.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:42 am »
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news_2008/01/21/080121-1.htm

Mitsubishi announces pricing for Lancer Evolution

Montreal, Quebec - Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada has announced that the all-new 2008 Lancer Evolution sports sedan will have a retail starting price of $41,498. The 2008 model marks the first time that the "Evo" has been offered for sale in Canada.

The Evolution will be available in three trim levels, the GSR, MR and MR Premium. All feature a 2.0-litre turbocharged and intercooled four-cylinder engine producing 291 horsepower.

The GSR includes a five-speed manual transmission and is priced at $41,498. The MR comes standard with a six-speed Twin-Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) and starts at $47,498, while the top-of-the-line MR Premium features a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo with nine speakers, at $51,498.

Aren't the options in the US dirt cheap? Here, $10,000. Sounds steep.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:38 am »
Five-speed stick on the GSR?  Nothing wrong with five speeds, but all of the competition has six, don't they?  Hell, you can get a six-speed in a Nissan Versa...

Jameel

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2008, 11:14:22 am »
Since when did Subaru cut the price of the STI to $44,000?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:51 am »
STiCK it 2 'em..........the early adRAPTORS will pay tha FREIGHT.....us mere MORTALS will toil in Van Vain....................

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:08 am »
Since when did Subaru cut the price of the STI to $44,000?

Not sure, but it makes the 2006 at my local dealer priced at $48K look kinda overpriced... :rofl2:

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:58 pm »
That's great. But the question was about whether or not Mitsubishi will have trouble selling these cars in Canada.

Given the low volume that will come in, SIVIC has it right...they"ll likely sell every one...which I find frustrating as it does nothing to stop the perpetuation of the pricing delta between US/CAN.

I just choose not to participate...which made me feel better to make it public...not that anyone should care.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:39 am »
The current situation is not forever sustainable.
Either CAN prices fall or USA prices rise, what's your pick?
I choose 1, but I feel that 2 is more likely to happen.