Author Topic: EVO and STI CDN Pricing  (Read 10053 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: EVO and STI CDN Pricing
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
Tsuchiya always wins :P

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 02:11:27 pm »
Think about F1 where the two cars of the same team, on the same race but with different drivers render different results.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:17:05 pm by carcrazy »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 02:13:54 pm »
I treat those as a TV Mag Review.  :)

Don't like those EVO sticker numbers, stinks the big one.  :P

JVan

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 02:44:46 pm »
The GSR is going to be the best selling model by far, at 3500 cheaper than the STI you can still get nice wheels, HID's, and a spoiler (though I really like the smaller one) with a little left over.  The only sales the MR is going to get is people who want the performance but want a auto, maybe potentially taking some sales away from the STI, but that same number of people wanting an automatic in this class could be very small.

Good to see the STI coming down in price, I wasn't a fan of the styling at first but it has really grown on me.  With the STI being faster than the Evo and cheaper than the MR models I think it has the slight edge in the competition.

If your disappointed in the performance of the X keep in mind the last time Mitsu switched body styles the VI was faster than the VII, but the VIII and IX were faster than the VI. 

Leviathan

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 03:05:40 pm »
I dunno if it comes with leather but it surely has a lager windshield washer reservoir, thicker winterized door seals for Canada to account for the price difference right?  ;D
Prescription windshields aren't cheap either  :P

Wolfe

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 03:10:50 pm »
I'm guessing Mitsu's theory was that people have been waiting so long for the EVO that they'll pay anything to get one.  Big mistake, imo. 

:iagree: but....

If they had priced it not far from the US pricing, they would have had an awesome opportunity to sell tonnes of EVOs (it would be competing with the WRX, not the STI,

...they can't price the EVO against the WRX because the Ralliart will be priced against the WRX.

I'll be pretty damned happy if they price the Ralliart a couple of thousand $ less than the WRX since I won't be able to afford an EVO or an STI anyway.

and to be "the first carmaker to recognize the Canadian/US price difference".  Would have been the ad company's wet dream...

Um, the financial whiz kids and currency traders seem to be waking up to the fact that the US is stumbling face first into a recession, taking the demand for our oil and metals along with it. Say buh bye to parity :hello:

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 03:32:59 pm »
I don't believe the ralliart will be cheaper than the wrx.  I think it'll be 2000 more.

Buy the way, saw the new STi in person.  Looks ALOT better in real life.  I used to think the EVO was hands down nicer, but not sure now.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 04:15:59 pm »
I think given Mitsu's tenuous presence in Canada they missed a golden opportunity here. They didn't have to match the US price. That's not the point. They could have put the GSR at 39,999 (still 7K more than US) and been a sub 40k "supercar" compared to a 45K STi. What a bargain that would look like.

But maybe they don't want it to look like a bargain...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 04:20:23 pm »
I'm guessing Mitsu's theory was that people have been waiting so long for the EVO that they'll pay anything to get one.  Big mistake, imo.  If they had priced it not far from the US pricing, they would have had an awesome opportunity to sell tonnes of EVOs (it would be competing with the WRX, not the STI), and to be "the first carmaker to recognize the Canadian/US price difference".  Would have been the ad company's wet dream...

Maybe for some reason they do not want to sell tonnes of them. Sounds crazy, but maybe they can only get their hands on so many and figured they will sell out regardless of the price?

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 04:31:30 pm »
I'm guessing Mitsu's theory was that people have been waiting so long for the EVO that they'll pay anything to get one.  Big mistake, imo.  If they had priced it not far from the US pricing, they would have had an awesome opportunity to sell tonnes of EVOs (it would be competing with the WRX, not the STI), and to be "the first carmaker to recognize the Canadian/US price difference".  Would have been the ad company's wet dream...

Maybe for some reason they do not want to sell tonnes of them. Sounds crazy, but maybe they can only get their hands on so many and figured they will sell out regardless of the price?

:iagree:
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 05:16:56 pm »
I still think they misjudged Subaru's move to drop the STi price and they learned about it too late in the game in order to readjust Evo pricing. We’ll see if this theory is true when they announce the Ralliart price, knowing upfront the WRX price. The US Evo pricing kind of supports this theory.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »
Easy for Mitsu to correct, just annouce a $3000 discount for the first 100 EVO buyers.  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »
Easy for Mitsu to correct, just annouce a $3000 discount for the first 100 EVO buyers.  ;D

Yeah, but this doesn't look good for a brand new, hollow model like Evo.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 05:51:43 pm »
So do you think they'll have trouble selling these?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

hoodwinkle

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 08:45:42 pm »
So do you think they'll have trouble selling these?

It's tough to say.  The entry price is still less than the STI.  I don't know why there's no STI option at 41k or so which doesn't include the BBS and NAV.

All I know is that I wouldn't drop 52k on an Evo BEFORE tax and PDI.

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
I think given Mitsu's tenuous presence in Canada they missed a golden opportunity here.

I don't think "tenuous presence" will have any effect on EVO sales.  People who are into these sorts of cars know about the EVO, just like Americans who are into high-performance Japanese cars have known about the Skyline GT-R for years.

I'm not going to weigh in on the ripping-off-Canadians part, but I don't see why an EVO should be cheaper than an STi.  It's not a less expensive car to build.  In fact, given that it's far more electronics-intensive and uses fewer carry-over components from the previous generation than the STi does (it's got an entirely new engine from the EVO IX, for example), I think it might actually be more expensive to build.

Mitlov

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
If this video is any indication, the EVO X is just a contender instead of a champ.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MBhP7KAd-oc

New STi walked everyone.

On the other hand, at the Streets of Willow, with Edmunds drivers, the EVO MR was faster than the EVO GSR, which was faster than the STi.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=124246

My understanding is that the Streets of Willow is a tighter course than Tsukuba.  So it makes sense that the STi's higher power and lower weight would prevail at Tsukuba, whereas the EVO MR's body control advantage would prevail at the Streets of Willow.

And of course, different drivers give different results, blah blah blah.

These cars are both awesome and I'd be glad to own either.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 11:35:27 pm »
Um, the financial whiz kids and currency traders seem to be waking up to the fact that the US is stumbling face first into a recession, taking the demand for our oil and metals along with it. Say buh bye to parity :hello:

Oil is hovering near triple digits (it actually was pushed up to $100 very briefly) in spite of the US slowdown.  Oil prices are being driven by greater-than-ever global demand: there's not enough oil being produced to go around, thanks in large part to China and India's massive growth.  If Americans don't buy it, someone else will.  Gold has been shattering records lately, too.  It's fortunate timing in that the demand for our commodities give us something of a cushion against the US slowdown.  Not to say it won't hit us, but less heavily than it might if oil were $15/barrel...

Easy for Mitsu to correct, just announce a $3000 discount for the first 100 EVO buyers.  ;D

Wrong way round!  The people lining up to get EVOs will be the die-hards who will pay anything to get one in Canada.  Once they've all paid, then you drop the price...  Apple did exactly that with the iPhone.  They sold it at $599 for the first month or so, and sold tonnes to people who had lined up to get it first.  Then they slashed the price by $200, and in doing so lured in a bunch more customers who may not have bought otherwise.

Not sure if that's what Mitsu wants or is planning, but it's a brilliant (if a bit unscrupulous) move.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 12:17:29 am »
In an other thread, I predicted the base price of the EVO at $41,8xx.  Didn't miss by much...

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 12:59:11 am »
Not sure if that's what Mitsu wants or is planning, but it's a brilliant (if a bit unscrupulous) move.

Not sure that's what's going on, but let's assume for the sake of argument it is.  If the EVO was cheaper from the beginning, dealers would just gouge the buyer.  This way, at least Mitsubishi gets to profit from the initial sales surge, instead of just letting dealers pocket huge mark-ups.