Author Topic: Apple does it again!  (Read 7697 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Apple does it again!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 12:58:07 pm »
I have that modem Random it is not a problem it acts in a bridged mode and you can connect using the router just like it is a DSL modem.  You can even have both routers going at the same time if you want but I just disabled the built in one because the range sucked.

The port forwarding is kind of nicely laid out and easy to use though.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »
Yeah seriously I've never heard of a laptop that could go 10 hours -- is it a brick? 10lbs?

That's pretty slow though 1.0ghz I struggle with 2.2ghz core 2 duo :P

I could get 5.5hrs out of my T60 (15" screen, 7200RPM hard drive, Wifi), which doesn't make too many concessions into low-power land, on a 9cell battery, while compiling code the whole time. Granted, with that big battery in it it does weigh about 5lbs.

P-M 1.5Ghz/1.0Ghz will still chew up a fair amount of power compared to a LV C2D. Those things were 130nm if I recall correctly, whereas the Macbook Air runs a 65nm C2D (note, its not the LV C2D, I guess the small package wasn't so conducive to power delivery!). Throw in enhanced power management features in the architecture and you can way, way more performance per watt. 20W TDP so they say (Macbook Pro is 35W).

Back on the battery topic...if you can't replace the battery, what do you do when the laptop is 1 year old with moderately heavy use? :P Bye bye 5 hour pipe dream.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:33 pm »
I understood the article to say that YOU cant replace the battery but it can be replaced...isn't that the way with Ipods and Iphones as well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

dorin

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 04:22:27 pm »
Apparently the battery can be replaced and Apple will do it for you for $129.  That probably means that by the time the battery might need to be replaced, you could probably get it and do it yourself for half that price.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 04:27:08 pm »
The lack of ethernet, FireWire, and multiple USB ports are my biggest turns offs with this machine, though I understand the logic Apple used.  I am simply not in the target market for this computer.  If I were someone that traveled a lot for work, the tiny form factor would be extremely appealing.  One of the reasons I chose the MacBook over the MBP was the smaller form factor - it's very easy to lug around.

The non-removable battery does not concern me terribly.  I've never known anyone to carry multiple batteries with them, and I wonder how long those batteries last - I'll wager the sorts of people who carry multiple batteries do so because they only last two-three hours each.  More and more airplanes these days are also installing in-seat power outlets, so as are trains and other forms of transportation.

Very neat machine...  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:14 pm »
The lack of ethernet, FireWire, and multiple USB ports are my biggest turns offs with this machine, though I understand the logic Apple used.  I am simply not in the target market for this computer.  If I were someone that traveled a lot for work, the tiny form factor would be extremely appealing.  One of the reasons I chose the MacBook over the MBP was the smaller form factor - it's very easy to lug around.

The non-removable battery does not concern me terribly.  I've never known anyone to carry multiple batteries with them, and I wonder how long those batteries last - I'll wager the sorts of people who carry multiple batteries do so because they only last two-three hours each.  More and more airplanes these days are also installing in-seat power outlets, so as are trains and other forms of transportation.

Very neat machine...  :)

I agree. Not for me either.   for all the small form factor it still is too big for an economy class airline seat table

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 05:20:29 pm »
I understood the article to say that YOU cant replace the battery but it can be replaced...isn't that the way with Ipods and Iphones as well.

Makes sense. Not as versatile as one would like, but I guess this is the Apple Way / Idiosyncrasy.

I have two and I've known a few people who carry multiple batteries. Typically library dwellers; we had a distinct lack of power outlets in the engineering library which made things difficult.

1lb extra in the backpack for 5hrs more time or same time with more screen brightness, good deal.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »
Fine to carry a battery if you are just going to go someplace and sit but if you are going to carry the thing all day -- no thanks.

tpl, who uses the tray?  Even my macbook pro can be used comfortably on a plane from my lap.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:09 pm »
..as the Arch Deacon said to tha stewardess................ :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »
Fine to carry a battery if you are just going to go someplace and sit but if you are going to carry the thing all day -- no thanks.

tpl, who uses the tray?  Even my mac book pro can be used comfortably on a plane from my lap.

But was that a chartered plane  :rofl:
I hear big shot car reviews only go first class ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:39:36 pm by airbalancer »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »
And there I was thinking a sub notebook would cost less than a notebook.. Good old Apple ;-)
I think the Air is a neat machine and am impressed by the concept of multi-touch if it works as described.
I also like the true sub-portables other maunfacturers are releasing such s the second gen Asus EEE. I've seen the first gen for as low as $339

What are the changes compared to 1st gen?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 07:31:50 pm »

tpl, who uses the tray?  Even my mac book pro can be used comfortably on a plane from my lap.

But was that a chartered plane  :rofl:
I hear big shoot car reviews only go first class ;D

Yea...for sure.  When I met him when he was in town at the Autoshow, I picked him up at the Hilton.  Big Shooter indeed!!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Squishy

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 07:37:29 pm »
Yeah seriously I've never heard of a laptop that could go 10 hours -- is it a brick? 10lbs?

That's pretty slow though 1.0ghz I struggle with 2.2ghz core 2 duo :P
It's an Electrovaya Scribbler SC-3000, weighs about 3 pounds, 12.1" screen.  1.0 GHz is more than enough for taking notes in class, and I clock it back to 1.5 GHz for anything else.

I noticed that they just came out with a Scribbler 4000...I'm feeling an itch :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:39:20 pm by Squishy »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »
I have two and I've known a few people who carry multiple batteries. Typically library dwellers; we had a distinct lack of power outlets in the engineering library which made things difficult.

1lb extra in the backpack for 5hrs more time or same time with more screen brightness, good deal.

No power outlets in a library?  How old is the building?  Even our 1900-era library has power outlets at every desk...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:53 pm »

No power outlets in a library?  How old is the building?  Even our 1900-era library has power outlets at every desk...

I would guess 60s. Complete with funky smell. The newer libraries have outlets everywhere; unfortunately they also have loud, infuriating artsies everywhere, making it impossible to actually do any work, even though you have plenty of juice.

Squishy

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:54 pm »
I bought a 25-m outdoor extension cord to run across library floors for just this reason.  No one has cared yet, I guess they're used to engineers getting creative.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 10:24:05 pm »

I would guess 60s. Complete with funky smell. The newer libraries have outlets everywhere; unfortunately they also have loud, infuriating artsies everywhere, making it impossible to actually do any work, even though you have plenty of juice.
[/quote]

Noise canceling headphones...  blessing.  :)  We're actually quite fortunate in our setup, perhaps.  Our main library has several floors, and all but the ground floor are designated Quiet Zones, and people are generally very good about it.  We also have a Silent (no talking, period) room, for the truly insane...  very nice place to catch up on reading, with fireplaces and big, comfy chairs.

But yeah, lack of outlets in a library is just inexcusable.  Mind, even in new houses outlets are not nearly plentiful enough.  With your average computer probably requiring ten plugs these days...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 10:38:03 pm »
I bought a 25-m outdoor extension cord to run across library floors for just this reason.  No one has cared yet, I guess they're used to engineers getting creative.

This would have worked, but I'd also need a power bar at which point I'd just look like a massive tool.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 11:42:14 pm »
You can also use a 12V sealed lead acid battery with an inverter to power your laptop.  Will help put definition in your biceps too from carrying it around all day.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 06:25:06 am »
You can also use a 12V sealed lead acid battery with an inverter to power your laptop.  Will help put definition in your biceps too from carrying it around all day.
:laugh: