Author Topic: Acura Diesel  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Acura Diesel
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:03:01 pm »
http://jalopnik.com/344284/detroit-auto-show-acura-goes-diesel-in-2009

Has anyone seen any other info on this?
Will it give VW TDI a run for the money
A RDX or CR-V with a diesel would be something to check out

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Acura Diesel
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:19:26 pm »
I can see it in their redesigned TSX that will later debut.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:08:28 pm »
Diesel TSX is an interesting thought. From no torque to plenty of torque and better fuel economy.

Depending on the displacement (I'm guessing around 170hp, 250tq?), could work well in the TSX, TL, and RDX.

A smaller displacement diesel would be neat in the CSX, but they should really just offer a diesel Civic at that point.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:31:37 pm »
To me "Acura" and "Diesel"  should not go together. Acura has a highrevving past that i can't associate with having a diesel engine.
My how things are changing.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:13:03 pm »
I doubt it would be the only engine offered. And a lot of people have turned their backs on the brand because of the uncompetitive torque numbers & perhaps more important, low torque at normal street revs.

In other words, a different type of driver is not buying. I think they should offer a high torque turbo 4 as well, for the same reason. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:25:58 pm »
For many ppl the Acura perception is the same as of Lexus, Infinity or Mercedes. Since Mercedes makes diesels and ppl buy them despite their stink in a luxury car, they will be likely to buy anything else luxurious with a diesel as well. My bet is their SUVs will sell like crazy especially with people who really drive, tow boats, etc.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »
For many ppl the Acura perception is the same as of Lexus, Infinity or Mercedes. Since Mercedes makes diesels and ppl buy them despite their stink in a luxury car, they will be likely to buy anything else luxurious with a diesel as well. My bet is their SUVs will sell like crazy especially with people who really drive, tow boats, etc.

You sure about what people perceive dan?

Toyota and Honda rate highest in Consumer Reports Car Brand Perception Survey

Yonkers, New York - A new survey by Consumer Reports says that consumers perceive Toyota and Honda brands to be best by a wide margin, followed by Ford, Chevrolet and GMC. The survey also revealed that car buyers consider safety and quality as the most important considerations, followed by value, performance, environmental friendliness, design and technical innovation.

The survey focused on how consumers perceive and rank car brands in those seven key areas, and also looked at which factors are most important to consumers when buying a vehicle.

Toyota topped the overall rankings with a score of 189 points, while Honda was second with 146 points; both took a place in the top five in six of the seven categories. Ford finished with 112, followed by Chevrolet with 110 and GMC with 102. Chevrolet and Ford were the only U.S. brands that ranked in the top five in more than one category. Among brands that fared the worst, Acura finished with 8 points, followed by Audi with 14, Mitsubishi with 21, Mercury (not sold in Canada) with 22 and Buick with 25 points.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news_2008/01/16/080116-1.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:37:21 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36:33 am »
Now I'm not. Whats strange is THE SAME PPL rank Acura in the top reliability/ satisfaction spots. It seems to me some in CR cant count, and that explains Ford  :D

Cortina

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:31 am »
I get the impression that with Honda's Acura version of there Honda cars we're having the wool pulled over our eyes. Acura really are the Euroland Hondas. I'm sure It is not the case with some of their models. But it sure feels like it when I see Euroland Honda driving by with Acura badges IMO. :-\

Honda have been putting in Diesel for a few years in their cars. I just wish we had the Civic Diesel that is sold in Euroland over here. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:03:49 pm by Cortina »

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 02:50:45 pm »
I get the impression that with Honda's Acura version of there Honda cars we're having the wool pulled over our eyes. Acura really are the Euroland Hondas. I'm sure It is not the case with some of their models. But it sure feels like it when I see Euroland Honda driving by with Acura badges IMO. :-\

Honda have been putting in Diesel for a few years in their cars. I just wish we had the Civic Diesel that is sold in Euroland over here. :)

Not true. The only Acura that is truly a Honda designed for Europe is the TSX. The RL is also sold as the Legend in Europe but it was designed as an Acura first. RDX, MDX and TL are all exclusive to Acura. Of course CSX is really a North American civic.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:49 pm »
New Acura TSX will get a diesel

Kathy Jackson
Automotive News
January 21, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — Honda's first U.S. diesel engine will debut next year on Acura's redesigned TSX sedan.

At the auto show here, CEO Takeo Fukui announced that Honda Motor Corp.'s new clean diesel will appear first on an Acura. He did not say which vehicle, but Honda sources say it will be the TSX.

The small sedan will be redesigned this spring. Initially, the TSX may be powered by the same turbocharged four-cylinder that is on the RDX small crossover. The diesel will be added in 2009.

"All along, we've said there would be a diesel in Acura," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co. "The whole direction is to separate Acura and Honda more. In five to six years, Acura will be a tier 1 luxury brand. The face of Acura will be totally different."

Honda's new 2.2-liter, four-cylinder i-DETC clean diesel will be available on the redesigned Honda Accord in Europe this summer. The European Accord and the TSX are basically the same vehicle.

Honda will introduce a V-6 diesel around 2010. That engine likely will go in the mid-sized Acura TL sedan and the MDX crossover as well as some Honda-brand vehicles.

Acura sales fell 10.5 percent in 2007 to 180,104 units. Colliver expects sales to rise this year to just under 200,000 units.

"We get the TSX in the spring and the new TL in the fall," he said. "We knew going into 2007 that we were facing tough times because the product line was aging, and there was a lot of new competition. To compete with BMW, we must build cars in those segments. We need more crossovers and an image car."

Colliver said the top-of-the-line RL sedan, with only 6,262 sales in 2007, "was the wrong car."

"It is due to be replaced in 2010," he said. "Directionally, that car will change." Despite falling sales, Colliver said Acura dealers enjoyed record profits last year, mainly because Honda cut Acura production by 20,000 units to control inventory.

He said Honda dealer profits were up about 4 percent, and Acura dealers "were up more than that."
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:05 pm »
...Initially, the TSX may be powered by the same turbocharged four-cylinder that is on the RDX small crossover...

Seems like that's going to be the base engine.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Special K

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:10:42 pm »
More torque and FWD.  Should be fun  ???

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 10:05:25 am »
The current TSX has no where close to ENOUGH torque.

(Jeremy Clarkson style) Who wants more POWER?