Author Topic: jetta sportwagon  (Read 70867 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: jetta sportwagon
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2008, 01:06:18 pm »
I saw my first new Jetta wagon yesterday on the road. It was a darker blue color. It definitely caught my eye. Looked great!  :)

montrealvue

« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2008, 04:45:41 pm »
Based on VW's reliability history, I'd choose the Sube but thats just me.  I agree that V-Dub should be a notch higher than the Honyota's but why do they make side impact airbags or stability control an option?  You would think with all the marketing they do about their vehicle's safety that  they would make that standard on all of their vehicles!  I think it's a huge an oversight when vehicles like the Legacy wagon or Outback have those as standard and offer more space for about the same price.

Those are rear side airbags, not side curtains. So you could have a total of 8 airbags. But the rear side airbags tend to interfere with outboard child seats so they are an option for a good reason imo. And $450 for stability control is really no big deal. The Legacy wagon is imho significantly more expensive (not in the US mind you, but thats another story), and I somehow doubt that it is bigger inside. Legacy rear seat space is quite an embarrassment.

In conclusion:
-VW does give you 6 airbags standard, optional 8.
-VW gives you a dirt cheap ESP program. Until 2008 this was not even available on the Legacy, outside of the spec B IIRC. It certainly wasn't available with the base 2.5 engine.
-The Legacy has limited interior space, particularly in the back seats.
-The Legacy starts at $3.5k higher than the Jetta wagon. Not chump change in this category.
The Legacy has 97.4 cu. ft. of passenger space / 33.5 cu. ft. of cargo space, the Jetta Wagon has 91 cu. ft. passenger space / 32.5 cu. ft of cargo space.   How can the Jetta be less cramped in the rear than the Legacy wagon?  I think both vehicles are priced accordingly since the V-Dub isn't AWD.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:19:11 am by montrealvue »

loser40

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2008, 07:56:19 am »
I agree with others in this post about VW's market positioning choice for Canada.

VW Europe use better quality materials for their cabins and tend to have the latest VW/Audi groups engines & gearboxes available across their entire range too.

I also agree with tpl, if VW/Audi want to aim for the lower market niche, they should sell Skoda's to Canadians - it would be no biggy dealer & servicing wise, existing VW dealers could take care of all of that, and this would allow VW-Ca to sell EU spec VW's at a higher price with, I would presume, a higher profit margin.

In all probability this may happen... VW have just recently allowed Skoda much more autonomy and independence.  Skoda now have over 1500 of their own engineers & designers and have been given the green light to build what they want, and they also have been permitted to use any components they choose from the VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat parts bins.

I'm surprised this has happened already.  One thing in particular the VW group are excellent at is allowing its buyers to progress not only through a particular Marques models, but more importantly through the VW groups other brands.  It is not uncommon here in the UK for example for new drivers to start with a small Skoda, then progress to say a Seat, then a VW and then an Audi.  It's in the entire VW groups interests to market all of their brands in North America as soon as possible.

Mark.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
The Legacy has 97.4 cu. ft. of passenger space / 33.5 cu. ft. of cargo space, the Jetta Wagon has 91 cu. ft. passenger space / 32.5 cu. ft of cargo space.   How can the Jetta be less cramped in the rear than the Legacy wagon? 

Legacy rear legroom: 860mm
Jetta rear legroom: 901mm

Admittedly much depends on how far the front seat can move on the tracks, but I have seen and driven both cars and the Legacy was very cramped, but the Jetta looked fine.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2008, 01:42:21 pm »
The Legacy has 97.4 cu. ft. of passenger space / 33.5 cu. ft. of cargo space, the Jetta Wagon has 91 cu. ft. passenger space / 32.5 cu. ft of cargo space.   How can the Jetta be less cramped in the rear than the Legacy wagon? 

Legacy rear legroom: 860mm
Jetta rear legroom: 901mm

Admittedly much depends on how far the front seat can move on the tracks, but I have seen and driven both cars and the Legacy was very cramped, but the Jetta looked fine.

860mm is almost unuseable. My V70 has 894mm and is at the limit of what I would call functional room. On the other hand the cargo area is freakin huge. ::)

even the Audi A4 has 871mm, how can the rear legroom in a Legacy be even less? ???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:44:17 pm by ktm525 »