Author Topic: jetta sportwagon  (Read 70911 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: jetta sportwagon
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2008, 04:11:15 pm »
i think the Euros drive their cars half as far on  lil twisty roads and PAY twice as much fer the priviledge.....i'm sure MOST would salivate for our wide open Hi_ways (outside major centres) and cheap Kars and Gas..........  just a thought...... ::) :nono:..
:iagree:

The traffic volumes the 3 times I have been to Europe have been ininsane. Not a lot of "open road".

siwash

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2008, 12:01:14 am »
highways in europe put ours to shame...they are superior on a number of fronts...and if we had their speed "LIMITS" a lot of us would be salivating.... not to mention the fact that they don't have idiots clogging up a passing lane.. wasn't that its intended purpose!?

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:16 am »
i think the Euros drive their cars half as far on  lil twisty roads and PAY twice as much fer the priviledge.....i'm sure MOST would salivate for our wide open Hi_ways (outside major centres) and cheap Kars and Gas..........  just a thought...... ::) :nono:..

The traffic volumes the 3 times I have been to Europe have been ininsane. Not a lot of "open road".
And yet - there is nothing like a winding A or B road in the UK - think of it as the coastal highway in California - winding all over the place. Much more challenging and enjoyable to drive than our point-and-shoot highways that never end and rarely turn. You can understand why big NA cars don't sell well there - they look for vehicles that can turn in without tons of nose dive or lean.

If you want to get somewhere - our highways are indeed excellent and beyond compare (with the exception of the Autobahn). But if you want to enjoy the drive, then get off the 4-laners and hit the lesser traveled routes.
JWW

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »
To get this thread back on topic, here are some pics of a slightly modded one... SEXY!  8)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:30 pm »
That is HOT!  :thumbup:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2008, 02:29:23 pm »
I agree with Paris...it is hawt.   ;D

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2008, 05:00:43 am »

And yet - there is nothing like a winding A or B road in the UK - think of it as the coastal highway in California - winding all over the place. Much more challenging and enjoyable to drive than our point-and-shoot highways that never end and rarely turn. You can understand why big NA cars don't sell well there - they look for vehicles that can turn in without tons of nose dive or lean.

If you want to get somewhere - our highways are indeed excellent and beyond compare (with the exception of the Autobahn). But if you want to enjoy the drive, then get off the 4-laners and hit the lesser traveled routes.

Those roads breed different kind of drivers with different requirements than the NA drivers. Having driving experience both in NA and Europe, I can only confirm that the experiences are quite different. Personally, I find grid plans and concrete barriered highways boring - and who wouldn't. You get much less of that in urban areas in most of Europe.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »

I tied the "lesser" roads but there were too many horse drawn hay wagons in Slovakia and Poland. Yikes! Can you say closing speed? When I mention traffic volume I was refering to the main German autobahns. Very busy and they too don't turn very much either, designed that way. Barrie in his big block Caddy would do just fine. He would need bigger brakes though. ;D

robarakira

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2008, 11:57:44 am »
I'm confused:

March 6, 2008

2009 VW Jetta Wagon arrives with lower base price

Volkswagen Jetta Wagon. Click image to enlarg
Ajax, Ontario - Volkswagen has announced that the new 2009 Jetta Wagon has arrived at dealerships, with a starting price of $23,475. The new model is priced $2,745 under the starting price of its predecessor.

Based on the fifth-generation Jetta, the 2009 Jetta Wagon uses a 2.5-litre inline five-cylinder engine that develops 150 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque, mated to a standard five-speed manual transmission or optional six-speed automatic with Tiptronic manual mode.

Standard features include air conditioning, cruise control, power windows, heated mirrors, remote locking, CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary jack, tilt and telescopic wheel, eight-way adjustable front seats, side airbags, 16-inch wheels, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, traction control and a full-size spare. Available optional equipment includes an electronic stabilization program, front and rear side curtain airbags, rear side airbags and a two-piece panoramic sunroof.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/thenews/2008/03/06/2009-vw-jetta-wagon-arrives-with-lower-base-price.htm

March 7, 2008
Electronic stability control standard in 2009 VWs

Auburn Hills, Michigan - Volkswagen of America has announced that its electronic stabilization program (ESP) will be standard equipment on every 2009 model-year Volkswagen vehicle. The company is adding the feature ahead of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) requirement that it be mandatory on all 2012 model-year vehicles.

Volkswagen says that it is the first non-luxury manufacturer to include an ESP system at no additional cost on every vehicle it sells.

"Volkswagen has long been a leader in making high technology accessible to all," said Stefan Jacoby, CEO of Volkswagen of America. "ESP has been available on all Volkswagens in the U.S. for several years. Now, making ESP standard across our entire line reinforces Volkswagen's commitment to safety for all our customers, and further shows why we are a market leader in offering some of the safest vehicles on the road today."
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news_2008/03/07/080307-3.htm

Clearly VW Canada thinks the lives of Canadians are more disposable than Americans?  Or that we'd rather risk losing an arm and a leg than having to pay a finger and a toe extra.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »
Or maybe that we know how to drive without Nanny minding us! ;) ;D

So it has arrived in dealerships? Me and the Mrs will have to go check it out. She really loved the Passat, maybe this will be a slightly cheaper alternative.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:35 pm »
Isn't esp mandatory in cars in the US from 2009 or 2010... maybe VW is trying to suck up to the Us gov.

I don't see why a HUGE company like VW would make the cars different or even offer different cars for the US/Can markets except in the cases where there are legal issues with equipment like bumpers and whatever stopped them selling the R32 Golf in Canada
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
I think it has more to do with perception. As an option it helps lower the MSRP. In the US to include it the price would be higher although still lower than ours I'll bet.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »
I still can't build one on the vw.ca site. You would think you could do that by now.  :think: I guess they don't want to sell me one.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2008, 05:44:27 pm »
How much can ESP really cost. The software is written. The disable button = 10 cents. Its probably already on the car, just disabled from the factory unless you pony up the cash.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »
I'm fairly ignorant about diesel. I've never owned a diesel vehicle, and besides someone with a an old diesel truck in high school, I don't think I've known anyone who drives a diesel.

As my search for a new vehicle goes on the new Jetta Sportwagon TDI is ticking many boxes (if I can wait that long).

How does diesel compare to gas in term of hp and torque (in driving dynamics)?
How much will I be able to tow (comfortably)?
Anything I should know about diesel that may not be fairly obvious?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »
with a diesel you care more about to torque and less about HP
go to tdiclub.com to find all the info you need to know about the tdi

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:52 pm »
with a diesel you care more about to torque and less about HP
go to tdiclub.com to find all the info you need to know about the tdi
Perfect, thanks AB!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
Check out the UK site should be the same car but they put the steering wheel on the wrong side ;D
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-estate/which-model/specifications/compare/overview/
We are to get 2L 140 hp engine here

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:56 pm »
Check out the UK site should be the same car but they put the steering wheel on the wrong side ;D
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-estate/which-model/specifications/compare/overview/
We are to get 2L 140 hp engine here
Thank-you.

Now that I've seen those sites, I'm even more interested in the Jetta Sportwagon TDI.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2008, 03:33:50 pm »
the gas engine model should be at dealers now
take a look if you gat a chance