Author Topic: jetta sportwagon  (Read 70893 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
jetta sportwagon
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
Some Jetta Sportwagon info is on the VW.com wesite
Looks pretty nice
http://www.vw.com/jettasportwagen/en/us/

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: jetta sportwagon
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 09:15:40 pm »
I'd want to see the complete specs.   Can you get HID lights? Which new TDI is it going to be?  etc etc.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:42 pm »
I'd want to see the complete specs.   Can you get HID lights? Which new TDI is it going to be?  etc etc.

We are luck to find out this much info already
  TDI should be out by November

dorin

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:46 am »
I like the old Honda Accord wagon look of the rear end.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 09:12:29 am »
Wow - I am really quite taken by this little beauty. Personally, I'd take one with the new TDI engine as well.

The only thing I am not sure about is the panoramic sunroof as these tend to be incredibly noisy at times. Mind you, with the outside sliding style, that may eliminate the ear-popping 'booming' that you would get.

I must admit I get a kick out of the advertising spin on calling the cargo area a feature. Isn't that what estates are about? A bit like stating the b----y obvious to me, that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:14:02 am by jww »
JWW

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »
I like the old Honda Accord wagon look of the rear end.

Looks good imo too.  But I still prefer the Passat wagon's rear... that's a thing of beauty.

Wonder what pricing will be for the TDI version? and will VW offer better incentives due to the strength of our dollar?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:15:19 pm »
Like the look. TDI would be the engine to have, or 2.0T + sport pack.

Nice wheels too.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »
I saw this at the Barrie Auto Show (the one put on by the students) and it looked great. The only thing is the VW rep would not unlock the door for me  ???

I'm very interested in seeing/driving the TDI version of this...I'm thinking it will start between 30-32K and with my options be 35-37K.

Why is VW taking so long in getting it to market?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:48:38 pm »
I saw this at the Barrie Auto Show (the one put on by the students) and it looked great. The only thing is the VW rep would not unlock the door for me  ???

I'm very interested in seeing/driving the TDI version of this...I'm thinking it will start between 30-32K and with my options be 35-37K.

Because they are not that Smm..smmmmar..Smart

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 10:59:37 am »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 02:59:32 pm »
Will VW Canada offer the new  1.4l TSI ?
http://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/medias_publish/ms/content/en/pressemitteilungen/2007/05/29/to_the_point__tsi.standard.gid-oeffentlichkeit.html

Btw this vehicle is sold in Europe as the Golf Variant.

There is not talk of a TDI in a Rabbit or Passat  in NA at the moment
I do not think anyone know what VM will be doing in NA

The TDI for NA and a problem with tring to get their emissions down

November 7, 2007
To: All Volkswagen Dealers
Subject: Clean Diesel TDI Launch

Dear Dealer,
I am writing to inform you that the North American introduction of the new Clean Diesel 2.0 li TDI for the Jetta Sedan and Wagon has been delayed from April 2008, to late summer 2008. We will remain the first volume brand offering Clean Diesel in the USA.
This situation is due to a technical issue that was found during the later stages of durability testing.
As disappointing as this is for all concerned, our first priority is to ensure that the integrity and quality of the new technology is not compromised, so as to maintain a trouble free launch.
A new SOP date has been confirmed for July by engineering, and we will initiate our ordering activities i.e. launch cars, dealer orders, etc. in spring. For image and competitive reasons, we are now working hard to bring early promotional cars into the Country in order to give you the chance to pre-sell the production arriving in October, during the Summer months. We will continue to promote Diesel through the Dieselution Tour, Jetta TDI Cup Series, and feature the technology as a part of our Brand Campaign in the first half of the year.
For reasons of our mutual profitability, we are investigating a number of actions to make up a portion of the TDI shortfall, such as but not limited to, obtaining additional production of high demand product, ramping up the launch production, and speeding up shipment times of the new TDI, bringing in special edition cars etc.
The launch of all other new models planned for 2008 are on time; Jetta SportWagen, Tiguan, Passat Coupe, M-Van and Touareg 2 with V6 Clean Diesel TDI. With all of these new models coming into the market, and even with the delay of the new TDI, we are targeting to grow next year, and this delay will be discounted from the BPB objectives as we have always promised.

We must now take advantage of the launches that are before us and not let this set-back to our growth strategy cause us to lose focus on the turnaround that we have begun. We appreciate your understanding of the situation and will keep you apprised of any further developments as soon as they are available.

Yours sincerely,
Adrian Hallmark

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:32:45 pm »

30 to 37 k for a jetta that's getting steep. I remember when the 93 jetta turbo diesels came out [1st version that sold really well in Canada] they sold for 17.5k.Nice car though.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

siwash

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 07:10:43 pm »
The TDI will  probably cost a  million dollars thereby wiping out any savings on fuel...

VW still has a long way to go to proving that they can make a reliable vehicle...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »

30 to 37 k for a jetta that's getting steep. I remember when the 93 jetta turbo diesels came out [1st version that sold really well in Canada] they sold for 17.5k.Nice car though.
I think that mid 30's for a fully equipped German car is ok.  Although our $ has risen vs the Us $ it has not risen that much against the Euro.
I am annoyed that there is not to be a Rabbit tdi immediately... if I have to have a sedan I may as well  keep my current car. 

As for  why so long... I wonder if NA is no longer profitable for VW with the currencies and with their own dumb decisions about product over the last few years. If NA is not really profitable that would explain to me why we only get the cars years later than the Europeans.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the word sport and wagon placed together. :)  It should be more like soccer and mom.  :)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 07:27:29 pm »
It's like having the word SPORT on the side of a Ford Winstar. Can they hook us up? Cause they are smoking some good :censor:.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the word sport and wagon placed together. :)  It should be more like soccer and mom.  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 07:54:17 pm »

:)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
Will VW Canada offer the new  1.4l TSI ?
http://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/medias_publish/ms/content/en/pressemitteilungen/2007/05/29/to_the_point__tsi.standard.gid-oeffentlichkeit.html

My guess is that the 1.4 TSI will not come to Canada. It would either cannibalize the sales of the 2.5 model or replace it altogether at a higher price point, which would result in lost market share in the segment. I really hope they would bring it here, though.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:32 pm »

I think it is far sportier than 99% of the Sport Utility Vehicles that the soccer moms drive.

And it is wagen, folks.  ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:27 am »
VW Canada released MSRP for the 2008MY Jetta SportWagen 2.5 earlier with the original timing before the product was delayed, then retracted it.

Here's what 2.5 pricing originally looked like... http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,51202.msg419648.html#msg419648

TDI normally commands a $1,800 premium, but with the new emissions technology I bet it's bumped to $2,000 - $2,800. So base SportWagen TDI will likely start around $27,8.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!