Author Topic: Tata Motors unveils cheapest car 'Nano'  (Read 31069 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Tata Motors unveils cheapest car 'Nano'
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 05:37:19 pm »
Does it have a jack for my ipod nano!!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 05:55:06 pm »
fer $3K it has JACK_ALL...............but a Road Kill cooker onna engine........ :lick: :bounce: :popcorn:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 07:47:47 pm »
LOL... Looking at the pictures of this car makes me think that the Trabant was a nice car.  :rofl2: IIRC they used to call it "people's car" too.
The really old (60s) Renault-licensed, Renault 12 sold under Dacia local brand, I grew up with was a super-car compared to this and it was about $3,500 (mind the “artificial” exchange rate at the time).

Regardless, they will sell well on the local market, but I doubt anything close to this would ever sale in the Western countries or North America.

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »
I'd rather share an Aveo with three friends...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 07:53:52 pm »
Great idea....no reason why a "big" company couldn't do something like that....but not for this market.  Too much BS with safety, crash testing, etc..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

dorin

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 07:55:32 pm »
The really old (60s) Renault-licensed, Renault 12 sold under Dacia local brand, I grew up with was a super-car compared to this and it was about $3,500 (mind the “artificial” exchange rate at the time).

So you grew up in Romania?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 08:58:03 pm »

You bet.

dorin

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 10:31:17 pm »

You bet.

Interesting.  We left Romania when I was 8.

LBJGH

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:32:33 pm »
Better than a motorcycle.

You could by a Ford Expedition because they are very safe.  ::)

I wonder how it might perform in crash tests...  :think:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 12:01:30 am »
Better than a motorcycle.

You could by a Ford Expedition because they are very safe.  ::)

I wonder how it might perform in crash tests...  :think:

Safer than this thing in any case. Do you think that it would pass any Western/North American safety test? I don't think so.
Don't try to think Smart or iCar because those are real cars with tones of technology on them to make them safe despite the size. In Tata's case, you get what you pay for - very little.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:06:30 am by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 12:04:38 am »

You bet.

Interesting.  We left Romania when I was 8.

So you missed the chance to drive a Dacia (manual only  :D).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:07:26 am by carcrazy »

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 12:05:28 am »

Tata officials say the car will comply with all Indian norms. But they are changing. India’s major cities plan to adopt the Euro IV emissions standard in April 2010, requiring a 35-fold reduction in sulfur emissions over the current Euro III standard, according to Anumita Roychowdhury of the Center for Science and Environment in New Delhi.

New safety rules mandating air bags, antilock brakes and full-body crash tests are also coming, Ms. Roychowdhury said.

She said it was unlikely the car would be able to keep its populist price tag once those regulations take effect.

And the car may be less environmentally friendly than it claims. Unlike cars in the United States, Indian vehicles do not have to come in for regular inspections after they are on real roads, which often batter the systems that curb emissions.

In most American cars, safety features alone cost more than $2,500, said Adrian Lund, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in Arlington, Va. But, he added, “if what we’re talking about in India is people having the option of getting off the streets, from motorcycles and bicycles where they are at risk from bigger vehicles, this may actually be an improvement of the safety environment.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08indiacar.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&ref=asia&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 12:45:39 am »
I'd drive one for bombing around....anybody else??  :)

barrie1

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 01:11:24 am »
I doubt you are going to see many on the streets here as most folks don't like driving in a Coffin which this is not much bigger then. A Coffin may well have a stonger frame then this vehicle.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 01:15:15 am »
I drive motorcycles.....can't be any worse than that....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 05:33:18 am »
I like it, it has a certain early Mini, 2Cv or early Beetle look, nothing there that isn't necessary for the purpose of carrying 4 or five people around.  No stuff invented by lawyers  :D
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 07:31:24 am »
They were talking it up on some of the American evening news shows,,,bit of a puff piece with the Company President and hundreds of Photographers...and folk supposedly offering wads of cash and waving credit cards to buy one NOW..but it will be a while before sales begin...GOOD HYPE job i imagine the BIG 3 would love  to have that problem...MAYBE!!???.... if they sold vettes fer $3,000 there MIGHT be a stampede... :rofl2:

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 09:45:02 am »
This article was written before the launch of the car, so all details were not available.

The car complies with Euro IV emissions.

"Indian vehicles do not have to come in for regular inspections after they are on real roads, which often batter the systems that curb emissions."

Yes they do. Failure to comply leads to fines. In rural areas though (a key target market), enforcement is poor.

The article is trying to take the drama out of the headline, which is fine in the context of a developed market. However, for Indian conditions, its still a good step  forward. There is no point in comparing the conditions in America with those in India. For example, it would be ridiculous to drive an Expedition in India. Even the politicians don't attempt that.  ;D

Most tiny cars seem to rely on airbags and electronic stabilization programs for safety. Since this one doesn't have any, it is bound to be less safe. However, once small spacious cars gain wider acceptance, their perceived safety will improve.

Tata officials say the car will comply with all Indian norms. But they are changing. India’s major cities plan to adopt the Euro IV emissions standard in April 2010, requiring a 35-fold reduction in sulfur emissions over the current Euro III standard, according to Anumita Roychowdhury of the Center for Science and Environment in New Delhi.

New safety rules mandating air bags, antilock brakes and full-body crash tests are also coming, Ms. Roychowdhury said.

She said it was unlikely the car would be able to keep its populist price tag once those regulations take effect.

And the car may be less environmentally friendly than it claims. Unlike cars in the United States, Indian vehicles do not have to come in for regular inspections after they are on real roads, which often batter the systems that curb emissions.

In most American cars, safety features alone cost more than $2,500, said Adrian Lund, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in Arlington, Va. But, he added, “if what we’re talking about in India is people having the option of getting off the streets, from motorcycles and bicycles where they are at risk from bigger vehicles, this may actually be an improvement of the safety environment.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08indiacar.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&ref=asia&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 09:46:25 am »
newsflash.  population india + everybody in india owning nano =  a grid lock that starts in new delhi and ....never ends.       :'( :o

For the first five years, production target is 100000 vehicles annually, which will hardly impact traffic congestion. In five years, if infrastructure does not improve, roads will be flooded. However, if infrastructure doesn't improve in five years, the Nano will be least of anyone's worries.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 11:46:34 am »

Most tiny cars seem to rely on airbags and electronic stabilization programs for safety. Since this one doesn't have any, it is bound to be less safe. However, once small spacious cars gain wider acceptance, their perceived safety will improve.

I think most tiny cars rely on advanced body structure for safety before anything else. The ESP, ABS, EBD, AWD and not even airbags and seatbelts alone could save you when hit by another vehicle.
Clarkson crashed a Smart in a concrete block at high speed and the cage was almost intact. I recall he opened the doors after the crash without difficulty. Now, that's what I call crash safety.