Author Topic: 2009 Hyundai Genesis.  (Read 11183 times)

Wolfe

Re: 2009 Hyundai Genesis.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 12:21:12 pm »
:nono: Hyundai is making a big mistake by keeping the Hyundai name and logo and not making a separation from the mainstream brand. People who dive a Lexus do not want to be confused with people driving a Toyota.

:iagree:  but at least they didn't put a Miller-cycle engine in it.

U tawkin' ta Me punk!!!! :rofl: they woood make a GREAT   TAXI!!!!!!

As I'm sure you already know, the Millenia was supposed to be branded as an Amati, Mazda's proposed luxury division, but those plans were canceled and the car became a misfit under the Mazda brand and was not exactly a sales success. Whether it was a good car is another issue.

You could replace the Mazda badges on your car with this ;):

Badged as a Hyundai the Genesis could easily have a similar fate to the Millenia.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 12:28:34 pm »
..DEJA WOOD........................ ::) :P........I gotta Supercharger...and tha MILLERS been getin some TALE.......... ;D...Amati broken the FIRST DOWN RECORD!!! :o :o...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 02:19:34 pm »
What is the Genesis supposed to be competing against?  Sure, it might look like the finish of a 7-series inside, but given the reports of the carry-over 3.3L engine, I'd be surprised if it costs more than a 328i.  This is Hyundai remember.  Value leaders.  It makes no sense to spend zillions of dollars developing a whole new brand for one model -- especially if it's only the next step up the ladder from a top line Sonata or Azera. 

The Genesis coupe is being compared to the Mustang in terms of value, but G37 in terms of styling and refinement.  A separate brand is not warranted here.

I'm surprised so many here are surprised by the derivative styling.  Think about 1989 when the Lexus LS400 came out.  It was practically a clone of Mercedes.  When the quality and value were considered though, it wasn't laughed at -- it was flocked to. 

Hyundai is a brand in transition.  Mark my words:  10 years (or less) from now, people will hold it in the same regard as Toyota in terms of quality and above Toyota for value.  While other makers have been asleep at the switch, Hyundai has been paying careful attention to the demands of the market. 

It'll be an uphill battle, but hopefully the product will be good enough to compete with MUCH pricier cars and generate the respect it deserves (and subsequently, the sales numbers). 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 02:24:26 pm »
the Lexus used FLOCK too...just like all the  other mouse fur seating ::) :P...i'd flock one fer $20K 3 years out.............. ;D I'm just an olde whore_monger.........let others get the disappreciation...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:27:02 pm by safristi »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:59 pm »
Reading more about it, the base model will have the 3.3L V6 found in other Hyundai vehicles. I don't see how that engine would have any "sportiness" in such a big car.

The base model(s) will indeed have the 2 V6 engines available but according to the following article, a V8 will also be offered.  Given Hyundai's pricing strategy, I doubt too many people in that market will opt for the lesser engines when a V8 is available for what will most likely be an attractive price. ;)

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=93358&pg=1
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »
Too bad they didn't put their badge up as a hood ornament Mercedes style...  :(

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 12:41:24 am »
I think its great, especially on paper.

But its the IMAGE that will be the problem, IMO.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »
I'm Imgagine  ing ing.............and there is NO Lenon   Lenin....... :rofl2:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 02:00:51 pm »

They must be completely separate facilities. They can be located at one dealership but a Lexus owner does not want to go into a Toyota facility for sales or service.

My old Toyota dealership had the sales/service floor divided between Lexus and Toyota, same building. The only difference was the waiting room.

Indeed. I've been in the service shop at my local Hyundai dealership and everything that was less than 5' from the floor was covered in grease and tools were scattered everywhere. It was absolutely disgusting. My local Toyota dealership is a palace by comparison.

That's a huge generalization. That may be your local Hyundai dealer, but mine puts local Toyota dealerships to shame.

:iagree:

In fairness though, this is especially true for the new dealership sites. They are expansive, well laid out and very clean. Pathway took me through the service area when we bought the Sonata 2 years ago, and I was mightily impressed.
JWW

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:09 pm »
.Genesis...........and on the 7th Day at the last MOMENT Hyundai saw tha LITE and built some decent shyte(dealerships that is)............ :light: :banghead: :bow: :bow: :bow:

canadacraig

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:45 am »
I am extremely interested in the new Genesis. I have even created a HyundaiGenesis yahoo group. I think the car looks great and can't wait to see it in person. And really - who in their right mind wouldn't want to at least SEE it for themselves? I think any car with a 368 h.p. V8 is interesting. [375 h.p. if you use premium fuel] And it's loaded with features. Imagine a 5-link suspension. And I'm not talking just in the rear but up front too. And how about a Lexicon 17 speaker surround-sound system. [The only other car in the world with a Lexicon is the Rolls-Royce Phantom]

But I'm torn. And it really bothers me when I think of WHY.

I own a 1993 Lexus LS400. And I have to admit - I like owning a 'Lexus'. But it's a 15 year old car now with almost 160,000 km's. It's fine - don't get me wrong. But a car is a car and ANY car will eventually wear out. [Even a Lexus] And when it does [Or when I just feel like something new] I wonder if I will be able to override my EGO and seriously consider a 'Hyundai'. I hope so. I'd hate to find out that I am so weak of character that I need the 'badge'. And I'd hate to avoid a car like the Genesis for NO other reason than I'm too concerned about whether or not my family, friends and neighbours would approve.

That said....

Many Lexus dealerships are also Toyota dealerships. But at those dealerships - the Toyota's and Lexus's are [Far more often than not] kept apart in separate showrooms. [The Lexus showroom being considerably fancier] And when a Lexus owner brings in their Lexus for service - they talk directly to a Lexus-only service manager. It works out well. So well - in fact - that if I had a Hyundai dealership I would treat Genesis owners in the same way. Being treated with special consideration is a 'luxury' and it would go a long way to helping Hyundai break the ice when it comes to at least being considered when people are making their list of 'must sees' when they're in the market for a luxury [Or 'near-luxury'] car.

Craig!! :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 09:46:24 am »
why can't they stroke treat ALL OF US like that??????????? ::) :-X

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:42 am »
I am extremely interested in the new Genesis. I have even created a HyundaiGenesis yahoo group. I think the car looks great and can't wait to see it in person. And really - who in their right mind wouldn't want to at least SEE it for themselves? I think any car with a 368 h.p. V8 is interesting. [375 h.p. if you use premium fuel] And it's loaded with features. Imagine a 5-link suspension. And I'm not talking just in the rear but up front too. And how about a Lexicon 17 speaker surround-sound system. [The only other car in the world with a Lexicon is the Rolls-Royce Phantom]

But I'm torn. And it really bothers me when I think of WHY.

I own a 1993 Lexus LS400. And I have to admit - I like owning a 'Lexus'. But it's a 15 year old car now with almost 160,000 km's. It's fine - don't get me wrong. But a car is a car and ANY car will eventually wear out. [Even a Lexus] And when it does [Or when I just feel like something new] I wonder if I will be able to override my EGO and seriously consider a 'Hyundai'. I hope so. I'd hate to find out that I am so weak of character that I need the 'badge'. And I'd hate to avoid a car like the Genesis for NO other reason than I'm too concerned about whether or not my family, friends and neighbours would approve.

That said....

Many Lexus dealerships are also Toyota dealerships. But at those dealerships - the Toyota's and Lexus's are [Far more often than not] kept apart in separate showrooms. [The Lexus showroom being considerably fancier] And when a Lexus owner brings in their Lexus for service - they talk directly to a Lexus-only service manager. It works out well. So well - in fact - that if I had a Hyundai dealership I would treat Genesis owners in the same way. Being treated with special consideration is a 'luxury' and it would go a long way to helping Hyundai break the ice when it comes to at least being considered when people are making their list of 'must sees' when they're in the market for a luxury [Or 'near-luxury'] car.

Craig!! :)
Interesting take. This is the first time I have heard a Lexus owner speak out on the Hyundai premium question.

The Nissan dealership where we bought our 02 Altima had a single shared showroom for both Infiniti and Nissan - and one service desk as well. The only difference in treatment at the service end of things was that Infiniti owners had access to free loaners on a first-come-first-served basis.

Now - if Hyundai would couple the free loaner concept with a dedicated service queue for Genesis and VeraCruz, then I think they could easily create a premium feeling. Our local dealer, Pathway Hyundai's, has always provided us with excellent service. They They even give complimentary car washes when you bring in your vehicle for service. Add a free loaner, and dedicated service desk, and I think they could be at the premium level.

Cortina

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:04 am »
2009 Hyundai Genesis. :)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=126514

Quote from: iedmunds
Vehicle Tested:
2009 Hyundai Genesis 4dr Sedan

Bottom Line:
Your socks had better be firmly affixed or the Genesis will blow them clean off; there isn't a better rear-wheel-drive sport sedan for the money

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:54 am »
People will call it a bland derivative knockoff, but I really like the styling.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 12:10:13 pm »
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126542

Hyundai said its new 2009 Genesis sedan will be priced from $33,000 for the V6 model and $38,000 for the V8 variant. Prices include a $750 shipping charge.

That's for the U.S.

I guess it would be around $39,000 for the V6 and $44,000 for the V8.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 12:42:17 pm »
I said it before, this is a very sharp car and they should have called it the Genesis and sell them like Nissan and Toyota does.  

JWW, as for courtesy cars that's a tough act to follow when you have 20+ clients on the appointment sheet.  Pretty expensive to convert new cars to this role and then sell them discounted a few months later.  The dealer always ends up not having enough and then someone is peaved, if you give an appointment in 7 days to make sure you have a car they are peaved again.  I know I was there once...

Las, I agree on the generalization, our local Hyundai dealer is so so, messy showroom etc.  Ford dealers, one is spic and span the other is rather messy.  My Nissan dealership is brand new and they are very pround of the facility compared to what they had before.  But this all starts at the top with management and regardless of the brand.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 12:43:13 pm »
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126542

Hyundai said its new 2009 Genesis sedan will be priced from $33,000 for the V6 model and $38,000 for the V8 variant. Prices include a $750 shipping charge.

That's for the U.S.

I guess it would be around $39,000 for the V6 and $44,000 for the V8.

Will the Genesis kill the Azera?  I think it will...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 12:59:25 pm »

Isn't Azera dead already? I think it was born dead anyway.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 01:48:50 pm »

Isn't Azera dead already? I think it was born dead anyway.

harsh, but somewhat true.
Azera didn't do very well like they did in Korea, mainly because people weren't willing to pay that kind of money for a touched-up Sonata.

It's still good value for the money, but Azera Limited overlaps with the base Genesis.

Did you know Hyundai has a C$87,000 car called EQUUS? Now that's a Luxury car.. actually a limo.
It's got a V8 4.5L engine probably used in the V8 Genesis.