Author Topic: 2009 Hyundai Genesis.  (Read 11188 times)

Cortina

2009 Hyundai Genesis.
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:08:02 pm »
Preview: 2009 Hyundai Genesis.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/detroit-08-preview-2009-hyundai-genesis-shakes-things-up/

"Hey is that a Merc." :P

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with L." :P

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: 2009 Hyundai Genesis.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
...and then there woz LIGHT........I REST my case till we all see ONE inna Garden of HEATHENS.... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

dorin

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:21:25 pm »
It's a pleasant looking mix of Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW design cues.  Nothing particularly innovative, but nothing offensive either.  It should sell pretty well.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:55 pm »
Salmon leather dash again?  :run: more wood and it'll float  ;D Like it overall though
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:28:09 pm »
 :nono: Hyundai is making a big mistake by keeping the Hyundai name and logo and not making a separation from the mainstream brand. People who dive a Lexus do not want to be confused with people driving a Toyota.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:06 pm »
:nono: Hyundai is making a big mistake by keeping the Hyundai name and logo and not making a separation from the mainstream brand. People who dive a Lexus do not want to be confused with people driving a Toyota.

They might be waiting until a second car comes into existence under the "Genesis" banner before launching it as a separate brand.  Until then a banner with one car does seem strange in this era of fully fleshed out model lines.

I seem to recall that is how Acura started but that was then.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »
The only thing I wish was diferrent is the opening around the speedo and tach, other than that it would look quite nice in my driveway.  Yes Las you read right, no need to fetch the reading glasses!  I also agree it should be part of a new line called Genesis, and by the way the Azera is dead in the water IMO.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:22:59 pm »
:iagree:

But do you just integrate the *new* brand into the current Hyundai dealerships? How did Toyota and Honda do it?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:59:06 pm »

But do you just integrate the *new* brand into the current Hyundai dealerships? How did Toyota and Honda do it?

They must be completely separate facilities. They can be located at one dealership but a Lexus owner does not want to go into a Toyota facility for sales or service.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 04:51:55 pm »
While I cannot say the car is ugly, it's obviously too derivative. Hyundai did it one more time. When I first saw the front, without the badge  ??? , I instantly thought that I'm looking at a MB. I was laughing at the fact that Hyundai pulled off such a trick ...

I too think they should create a new luxury division. Same badge on this car (there is still one on the back and one on the steering wheel) and the Accent don't go very well together.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »
Dependent on pricing of course, but if priced as Hyundai usually does (ie. below other makers), I would predict it will sell well.

IMO, it's rather good looking and in the current mainstream today.  :thumbup:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:01:37 pm »
I am looking forward to a test drive. But then, what else would you expect from one of the resident Hyundai converts of the forum? I have become so much less worried about badge-rep now that I have had my Sonata for 2 years. For the $$ it is still pretty hard to beat the Hyundai value.
JWW

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »
Reading more about it, the base model will have the 3.3L V6 found in other Hyundai vehicles. I don't see how that engine would have any "sportiness" in such a big car.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 05:30:30 pm »
HYUNDINITI    lexusdai!!!......unduckURA........... ??? :P

Wolfe

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 05:55:42 pm »

:iagree:  but at least they didn't put a Miller-cycle engine in it.

Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:11:30 pm »

They must be completely separate facilities. They can be located at one dealership but a Lexus owner does not want to go into a Toyota facility for sales or service.

Indeed. I've been in the service shop at my local Hyundai dealership and everything that was less than 5' from the floor was covered in grease and tools were scattered everywhere. It was absolutely disgusting. My local Toyota dealership is a palace by comparison.

If Hyundai want to move their main brand upmarket, even a little bit, then they'll have to dramatically upgrade their dealerships.

If they want to sell luxury cars then they'll need to start entirely from scratch and sell the luxury car buying experience along with the cars. They simply can't do that from their existing dealerships.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 06:14:38 pm »
I am looking forward to a test drive. But then, what else would you expect from one of the resident Hyundai converts of the forum? I have become so much less worried about badge-rep now that I have had my Sonata for 2 years. For the $$ it is still pretty hard to beat the Hyundai value.

I'm with you. I think true car people have taken the "Pepsi Challenge" so to speak and know the difference. Judging a car on it's merits, not on it's marketing budget is the way to go. Brand is something for the masses to play off each other. Those of us who have worked on the development and production of many nameplates and programs are jaded, almost against "branding" culture. Value for Money, at any position in the market......now there is something to aspire to.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 06:59:54 pm »

Agreed.

I wonder if they could have gotten away with sticking the Genesis Sedan, Genesis Coupe, and Veracruz into one Luxobarge brand? You get pretty good coverage of the luxury car market tastes: executive sedan that looks good in black, gigantic SUV, and sporty coupe/GT.

IIRC the Veracruz has been compared favorably to the Lexus RX, and the Genesis obviously has a lot going for it (at least on paper).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »

The local Toyota and Honda dealer sales and service Lexus and Acura since it atleast 90 km to Acura and over 100 to a Lexus dealer.
 people may cross shop it with an Avalon ( but dont think so) but never Lexus or BMW

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 10:35:48 am »

:iagree:  but at least they didn't put a Miller-cycle engine in it.

U tawkin' ta Me punk!!!! :rofl: they woood make a GREAT   TAXI!!!!!!