Author Topic: GM lineup help - Barrie and others  (Read 9153 times)

UmroAyyar

Re: GM lineup help - Barrie and others
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:36 am »
1. Pontiac Vibe
2. Saturn Vue
3. GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook (if good load/tow capacity needed).

barrie1

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:41 am »
Some models may have that engine design but they also have a 160,000 klm warranty as well so that somewhat eliminates that problem right there. I would suspect the design was done in the US and just the assembly or some parts were made in China only.  No-body can actually say how bad or good a engine is until after about the 3rd year issue of them. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 02:16:43 am »
Some models may have that engine design but they also have a 160,000 klm warranty as well so that somewhat eliminates that problem right there.

A warranty doesn't eliminate ANY engine problems...LOL....It just means someone else is paying for the repairs....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »
Like many others here, I'm "the car guy" at work.  One of the admins has asked me about GM vehicles, and I have to admit on know very little about their lineup beyond the basics (Vette, Cobalt ...).

Because of a work relationship they want to lease a new GM product.  This is a young couple (mid-twenties) who are getting married this summer and thinking about kids in the near future.  Right now they have a very large 2007 GM pickup for his work (stone mason) and a beater Honda civic as her commuter vehicle and the family around town car.  They want to replace the civic with something that can be a family car with a couple of babies, her commuter car during the week (20 minute urban commute), and also their car to go to the family cottage in the BC interior (think real snow in winter, 5 hour hwy drive, short gravel road).

They were thinking Trailblazer which struck me as huge for the commuter part, and they already have a big pickup for his work and hunting.  What's the right vehicle in the GM lineup for them?

I'm thinking crossover, cute-ute, big wagon ...

Not the TrailBlazer!  That's one of the remnants of the old cheap-feeling GMs.  If they want something that size, the Acadia/Outlook is a far nicer vehicle. 

If they want AWD and five doors but want a smaller vehicle for the commuting part, the new Saturn Vue would be great, as would the upcoming second-generation Pontiac Vibe. 

If they're willing to go with a FWD sedan, the Aura and Malibu are the obvious choices.

barrie1

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:16 am »
Thats one of the nicest parts of buying a GM as they do have a vehicle for everyones need in all sizes and models as well. The same goes for price ranges as well as you can spend a little or a lot depending on your needs.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 07:08:31 am »
HHR would not be bad, if they need room in the back for kids stuff

barrie1

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 10:30:03 pm »
Some models may have that engine design but they also have a 160,000 klm warranty as well so that somewhat eliminates that problem right there.

A warranty doesn't eliminate ANY engine problems...LOL....It just means someone else is paying for the repairs.... Thats right but at least GM will pay a lot longer then the Japanese builders will when one of their engines gives out. They have their fair share of problems as well with their vehicles and product lines as well. GM's warranty covers a lot more then just the engines  so their warranty is of more value to the consumer.   :)

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 12:32:09 am »
A warranty doesn't eliminate ANY engine problems...LOL....It just means someone else is paying for the repairs.... Thats right but at least GM will pay a lot longer then the Japanese builders will when one of their engines gives out. They have their fair share of problems as well with their vehicles and product lines as well. GM's warranty covers a lot more then just the engines  so their warranty is of more value to the consumer.   :)

Of course only a moron would believe that they don't build the cost of the warranty into the price and that by offering a longer warranty they ACTUALLY believe they make a more reliable product.. So really the GM customers just pay for it upfront.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 01:51:23 am »
The GM "powertrain" 160,000 km warranty is a RED HERRING folks.  It's dependent on ppl not reading the FINE PRINT.  Essentially, it extends the warranty for core items, things that typically do not break in GMs like cranks, camshafts, transmission guts, etc.  All electronics are excluded.  Actually, trying to find out exactly what is excluded is a major undertaking.

GM Announces 5 year/100,000 Mile "Limited Warranty" on all 2007 Models.  Don't be fooled, you don't have full coverage, you'll lose thousands of dollars in uncovered repairs

GM is trying to close the gap between themselves and Honda, Toyota by boosting warranty coverage. But don't get suckered in by the headline hype, don't focus on "5 year warranty" or "100,000 miles", you should focus on the words "limited warranty". GM's new extended warranty is not a full blown bumper to bumper extended warranty as they would have you believe, rather it is a "LIMITED" warranty. If you have prior experience dealing with GM extended warranties like me, I'm ready to rename it the "Extremely Limited, or GM's "good luck cashing in on it" warranty. How the GM warranty works: After 3 years your standard full coverage GM warranty expires and their "limited" extended warranty covering only the power train kicks in for 2 more years with a lot less coverage. Once the smoke clears and you read GM's short list of what is really covered, they are only giving you a 2 year extension on the power train warranty and little else. The fact that it's a named component coverage and not bumper to bumper is proof of it's limitations. I noticed a couple of weasel clauses for them too; they don't explicitly cover wear and tear so expect your claims to be rejected for wear and tear failures. They have a weasel clause for "poor quality fuel". By whose definition? What if you use 89 octane gas instead of 93 octane to save a few bucks when gas hits $3 per gallon? Will they reject your repair? While the GM extended warranty is an improvement, the headline hype has you thinking you have a full 5 year umbrella protection warranty, when in fact you are left exposed for numerous uncovered repairs due to gaping holes in the coverage. You should consider protecting your investment with a wrap warranty such as PowerWrap+ or Preferred Wrap to cover these gaping holes left by GM's warranty like A/C, electrical, Luxury, navigation, DVD players, brakes, cooling systems, emissions, fuel system, the stuff that most commonly fails after 3 years. Engines and transmissions are usually reliable so GM will hardly ever have to pay out on this, and they have excluded the items that do fail the most after 3 years. A Good wrap warranty is the perfect solution for you because it costs less money and only needs to cover just the items left out by GM's warranty

Greg B.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 09:31:43 am »
Engines and transmissions are usually reliable

I assume you're leaving Toyopet's sludgemobile engines out of this discussion, right? Of course, "lack of proper maintenance" was always the reason for that, wasn't it?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:51 am »
Don't you guys ever stay on topic? Maybe we should have a separate forum for General Motors VS Japanese which is better?Maybe it's the moan and whine section.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 02:03:23 pm »
Don't you guys ever stay on topic?

IMO, any aspects of GM warranty is on topic if ppl are considering one of their products as they might think they're good to go for 160,000 km.  They should understand the exclusions before they buy.

As for Greg B.'s post, direct your comments to him.  :stick:  He frequently TROLLS on many of my posts like some other unmentionable.  :rofl:   

carlos_da_fig

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 05:39:14 pm »
2008 Vibe is back at 0% financing.  0% financing is awesome - it saves a lot of cash over 5 years. 

Mitlov

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
Don't you guys ever stay on topic? Maybe we should have a separate forum for General Motors VS Japanese which is better?Maybe it's the moan and whine section.

Seconded.  I'm tired of every thread turning into a Toyota versus GM bashfest, with a few regulars spewing the same arguments over and over and over and over...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 06:21:46 pm »
2008 Vibe is back at 0% financing.  0% financing is awesome - it saves a lot of cash over 5 years. 

Maybe this car will stop the feuding?   ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 06:25:03 pm »

No, they've already had fights about it.  Seriously.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 06:34:35 pm »

Sorry must have missed that one. >:(

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »

Good to see you haven't changed a bit.  :)

barrie1

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 10:10:25 pm »
More slander because of the longest warranty is now your stick is it Steve? Wow just how low do you scrape the barrel of intelligence for something to say.  You are reaching new depths of stupidity with your nonsence on here. Millions of folks buy their products every year and are quite Happy with them. At least they don't have to worry about the sludged engines that were never recalled and many other things as GM is quite good that way in the last year or so. I guess if you don't recall the mistakes they will go away must be Toyota's motto. For a person who hasen't had a GM vehicle in many years you seem to know a lot about 000 and their policys of business. Any personal experience in the last few years or just more heresay from your feeble attempts to discredit the largest car company in the world. I am sure the Vibe would be a great vehicle for the family involved and the pricing is fairly good right now as well.   :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:15:06 pm by barrie1 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 10:15:16 pm »
Just in time Barrie .... for the perfect TRIFECTA.  :rofl:

More slander because of the longest warranty is now your stick is it Steve?

Ya started a little early tonight I see.  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:18:49 pm by articsteve »