Author Topic: THE DAY HAS COME! Transport Canada considering less stringent bumper rules!  (Read 12304 times)

turbodiesel

For those who are angry that Canada uses the 8km/h bumper rule causing imports and even other stuff difficult, guess what? TC is considering LESS STRINGENT BUMPER RULES!

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080103.wh-buzz-0103/GAStory/specialGlobeAuto/home

Good riddance, 8km/h bumper rule. Now stick with the US and UNECE rules and make everyone happy.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
So…easing fontal impact damage criteria is a good thing?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

It is if the costs are outweighing the benefits!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Show me the trade-off study then.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Doesn't the Globe article mention a NHTSA study from '87?...Seems about right...only took Transport Canada 20 years to catch on! ::) :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
"Evidence suggests" OK..I will buy that  ::)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
The 8km bumper was uselessIMHO.  A much more sensible approach would be to make ALL bumpers on vehicles sold to the public and vehicles that are likely ENCOUNTERED by the public ( buses, 18 wheelers etc)  ALL the same height with a massive fine for anyone who lowers or jacks up their vehicle outside a narrow range. I realize that some people with jacked up trucks object and so do some rice boys.... too bad.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
How does having a weaker bumper a good thing in low speed impacts?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Duty Booty Calls @ tha BORDER......How Firm is IT Maam????? :o 8) I;m guessing by MY MAN_O_Meter yer a titch LOW...... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
How does having a weaker bumper a good thing in low speed impacts?

It doesn't.  But I'd rather have weak bumper to weak bumper  than strong  bumper to radiator or to trunk lid.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Good. Body shops needed a break.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
UNECE

OMG!  I thought I was the only one who knew what this useless UN body was...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

turbodiesel

my justification: 4km/h bumper and 8km/h bumper, who cares? you get a very slow speed collision (i.e. slam on light post becuz of bad parking skills), end up crack the bumper, your fault; dun blame the car manufacturer and ask for insurance.

that makes sense.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
So...

Can we import the previous gen Evo now??  ;D

barrie1

Time to go back to the bumpers that are made of something that will take a hit for a change instead of the cheap paper thin useless crap they use now. The only thing they are any good for is to look good. Nothing else at all as you hit something at creeping speed and its still over $2000. to start with. Even the bumper on my 1972 GMC is at least 25 times stronger then the junk of to-day by all of the builders. They save weight on the car but nothing else is worth the damage they cause to the owners pocket or the Insurance Comanies pockets which in turn you pay for anyways.  :(

Mitlov

Study?  Here's my six-letter study.

EVO
GTO

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile

Study?  Here's my six-letter study.

EVO
GTO

YOUR BACK! :o ;D :D

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
The 8km bumper was uselessIMHO.  A much more sensible approach would be to make ALL bumpers on vehicles sold to the public and vehicles that are likely ENCOUNTERED by the public ( buses, 18 wheelers etc)  ALL the same height with a massive fine for anyone who lowers or jacks up their vehicle outside a narrow range. I realize that some people with jacked up trucks object and so do some rice boys.... too bad.

I agree with this, we need a bumper height standard.

Hmm most manufacturer front crash tests are done by slaming the vehicle into a barrier wall where height of the bumper does not matter.  In real world driving how many vehicles have a vertical wall attached to their bumpers so when two vehicles hit with different bumper heights it will not be a factor.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB

:iagree:

There is too much damage from bumper hitting rad.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
my justification: 4km/h bumper and 8km/h bumper, who cares? you get a very slow speed collision (i.e. slam on light post becuz of bad parking skills), end up crack the bumper, your fault; dun blame the car manufacturer and ask for insurance.

that makes sense.

You are parked on a street, some is parking behind you and bump your car, and drives away.
You have $500 damage done. Not your fault.
There are always two sides to a story

Could the speed lowering be  to protecting a pedestrian. need the front end to collapse at a lower speed

I know why are people out walking in front of your car, they should be driving