Author Topic: My other car is an airplane...really!  (Read 8430 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
My other car is an airplane...really!
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:28:28 pm »
If you think importing a car from the US is difficult...try importing an aircraft.

It doesn't help that it's a 1959...yes...1959...where each modification or repair must have all of the documentation to support it was done properly.

After several months, it's now certified as a Canadian aircraft.   :)  It's a 1959 Cessna 150...the 318th 150 ever made...they made about 25,000 of them.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: My other car is an airplane...really!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:31:51 pm »
Wow, looks to have electric flaps...on a 59?
Congrats.
YZC23079x
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:59:20 pm »
Railton, you are such a showoff.   ;)

Nice ride there, TopG.  Where are the cupholders?   ???  ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:02 pm »

:laugh:

Must be next to the DVD/Navi/MP3 player. :rofl2:

Seriously, nice find.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:33:02 pm »
Now all you need is Xzibit to pimp your ride!!
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:34:15 pm »
Very nice! Looks like a real cream puff.  :thumbup:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:44 pm »
 WOW "TOM" talk about raising the bar...we mere mortals are HIDEEARTHBOUND.....................did ya fly it around Customs and avoid the DOOTY..... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:18:13 pm »

:laugh:

Must be next to the DVD/Navi/MP3 player. :rofl2:

Seriously, nice find.

Hope it has snow tires and all that fancy traction control stuff  :rofl:

Very nice, looks like it was worth the effort to get it in    :thumbup:
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »
WOW "TOM" talk about raising the bar...we mere mortals are HIDEEARTHBOUND.....................did ya fly it around Customs and avoid the DOOTY..... ;D
  :)  :) yeah, by flying under the radar... 

Congrats on your acquisition, TopG! Nice looking 150; its shape doesn't look very different from a 152 that I am taking lesson with, but its instrumental panel is quite different! Where is AI, trim tab,  electrical flaps? How can you fly it??  :)  :)
Well, another 20 yr and people will be scared to fly without GPS... So, it was a headache to import your 150? We are planning to buy a used 172 and we also considering buying it in the US...

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »
AirTalkCanada.  ;D Congrats Top Gun. So when are you going to put the appropriate decals? 'Top Gun'  ;)

barrie1

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:24 pm »
You can import a Plane but the Canadian Tax's quite often are not paid until years later. My Buddy next door had a Cherokee 140 and now has a 1937 Fleet Canuck  which is a old tail dragger that does around 85MPH only. You can actually fly it backwards in the right wind conditions providing you can keep it level enough.  :)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:06 pm »

Manual flaps until '65...the flap handle is just like a parking brake lever...hiding in-between the seats.

Cup holders Brigitte?  Yikes...I'm having visions of spilling hot beverages when I hit turbulence.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:15:57 pm »

Congrats on your acquisition, TopG! Nice looking 150; its shape doesn't look very different from a 152 that I am taking lesson with, but its instrumental panel is quite different! Where is AI, trim tab,  electrical flaps? How can you fly it??  :)  :)
Well, another 20 yr and people will be scared to fly without GPS... So, it was a headache to import your 150? We are planning to buy a used 172 and we also considering buying it in the US...

Same basic airframe as the 152...later aircraft added the rear windows, swept back tail and yes...a modern instrument panel.

The AI is the 3rd instrument from the left...it doesn't have the colour indicating the ground and sky.  Tthe trim wheel is on the floor...same wheel as your 152 on the panel...and the manual flaps are in-betwen the seats, actuated like a parking brake lever (apparently a better system than the electric flaps as there is no electric motors that can fail).

Yes, it was a head-ache to import it...there were issues with the title that everyone wanted to solve...except for the morons at the FAA.

I'm in Oakville...so I don"t mind hooking up with you and taking you through my learnings...taking you through the resources...and lining you up with the mechanic I had that did a great job with it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:18:54 pm »
I want an Eclipse 500.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:22:28 pm »
You can import a Plane but the Canadian Tax's quite often are not paid until years later. My Buddy next door had a Cherokee 140 and now has a 1937 Fleet Canuck  which is a old tail dragger that does around 85MPH only. You can actually fly it backwards in the right wind conditions providing you can keep it level enough.  :)

Taxes were demanded upon transfer of title barrie...but there is no duty given free trade and the aircraft is...to your liking I'm sure...made in the US of A.

It's well worth the trouble to import...Current Canadian aircraft owners have a very inflated view of worth of their airplanes as the prices are, essentially, set by the US...in US dollars...which aren't worth near what they were.

My plane was $20 US...the equivalent aircraft would be $35 CDN.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 10:25:46 pm »

Manual flaps until '65...the flap handle is just like a parking brake lever...hiding in-between the seats.

I was looking at the indicator just above "vest" and thought it to be the flap position indicator. I was not aware that a '59 C150 had a "barn door flap handle" AND an indicator...if that's what it is.

On later 150/152's the electric flap switch was just left of the indicator.

Railton

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 10:27:49 pm »

Taxes were demanded upon transfer of title barrie...but there is no duty given free trade and the aircraft is...to your liking I'm sure...made in the US of A.

It's well worth the trouble to import...Current Canadian aircraft owners have a very inflated view of worth of their airplanes as the prices are, essentially, set by the US...in US dollars...which aren't worth near what they were.

My plane was $20 US...the equivalent aircraft would be $35 CDN.
OK, so it has a single Nav/Com and hole in the panel for ?. Specs on the A/C given its $20K price tag? Hours, etc., etc.
Railton

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:39:19 pm »
OK, so it has a single Nav/Com and hole in the panel for ?. Specs on the A/C given its $20K price tag? Hours, etc., etc.
Railton

The hole in the panel was likely for a transponder...&/or a Loran that we saw in the logs.

With this one...as any 150...it's all about the engine.  The airframe has 4000 total time since new...250 hours on the engine since an over-haul that cost $15 US at a recognized engine shop in 2001...painted in '98.

Instruments pretty junky and radios pretty junky...but it will suit my purposes (puddle jumping) well.

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 11:08:44 pm »

Same basic airframe as the 152...later aircraft added the rear windows, swept back tail and yes...a modern instrument panel.

The AI is the 3rd instrument from the left...it doesn't have the colour indicating the ground and sky.  Tthe trim wheel is on the floor...same wheel as your 152 on the panel...and the manual flaps are in-betwen the seats, actuated like a parking brake lever (apparently a better system than the electric flaps as there is no electric motors that can fail).

Yes, it was a head-ache to import it...there were issues with the title that everyone wanted to solve...except for the morons at the FAA.

I'm in Oakville...so I don"t mind hooking up with you and taking you through my learnings...taking you through the resources...and lining you up with the mechanic I had that did a great job with it.

Thanks for your clarifications and offer, I will keep it in mind! On the picture you posted--is it a hangar at the Burlington airpark?  I am taking my lessons there and it looks like one of their private hangars...

barrie1

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:50 pm »
We actually have  Diamond Aircraft in London as well but these are way more expensive as they are all new and more updated then the older ones. The 150 is a nice plane for its age. How many hours does this engine go before a rebuild is required? Its a expensive hobby when the rebuild time comes around.  :)