4 (8.7%)
5 Years
10 (21.7%)
6 Years
8 (17.4%)
7 + Years
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Battery Life  (Read 53251 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Battery Life
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 11:02:37 pm »
.. too far.. I always get a cheerleader do a lap dance on the hood to shake things up
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:30 pm »
Whats the deal with those maintenance free batteries?

barrie1

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2007, 01:43:09 am »
I own 4 of the same batteries in my vehicles by chance. As they are all the same sized and I only buy the top grade Delco Batteries i usually get at least 7 to 9 years on average out of them. I buy the same one the all new Caddies come with in the maintenance free series. It between a 770 and a 880 CCA Battery. Crappy Tire are from Exide and they all leach Battery Acid where the Delco's don't ever so they last much longer. Chrylser Corp Batteries in their heavier series are also very good as I have seen them go for virtually the same time length as well. The maintenance free Batteries are a enveolope style Battery with the cells all suspended between each sector of the design. Even when the plates in the top start to flake over time the pieces that fall off stay in the envelope and help to create power until one of the little bags breaks. That takes years and is the end at that time. I will put a Delco Battery into any make of car and it will last for many years as they really do make a great product for the price.  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:56:34 am by barrie1 »

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 03:56:15 am »
Got 11 years out of the OEM Honda battery in the Civic. 6 1/2 years so far on the one in the Odyssey. :thumbup:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 02:29:55 pm »
I bought my new battery based on this report:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/gk/orbital_battery.htm

November 29, 2007

Spiral cell battery test

Orbital Extreme Duty Battery

By Glen Konoroski

With the ever-increasing demands put on our vehicles' electrical systems, getting the right battery is essential. One of the new and better technologies to come along in batteries is the spiral cell battery. In most cases, these heavy duty batteries offer twice the normal life span and 30 per cent more cold cranking performance.

To test the qualities of these batteries I tested an Orbital Extreme Duty Battery. Besides the fact that this battery incorporates the spiral cell technology, the "Orbital" is also a deep cycle battery as well. This means that it can be drained to almost no power a multitude of times before the battery will ever every loose its ability to hold a charge.

What makes a spiral cell battery different is that it uses a high purity lead/tin alloy tightly wrapped in a glass fibre. Like a paper towel, this configuration absorbs the acid in the battery allowing for better flow of electricity when charged. As well, the battery is highly resistant to vibration (17 times greater). This technology means the battery never needs water, and in the case of accidental damage, will not leak. This battery will also charge faster, won't freeze, and doesn't smell if mounted in the interior of the vehicle.

In my first test, a friend needed a battery for his off road vehicle so the Orbital was put into action. After a few weeks of rough off road jumps, water forging and general horse play, the Orbital was washed and looked and worked as good as new. During the winter the battery was left out in freezing weather, discharged and used as a booster on a dozen or so cars and again it worked and held a charge like the day I received it. When the orbital was run down it accepted a charge faster than my other conventional lead acid battery.

My last test consisted of placing the battery on its side and then driving for several weeks, again it worked just as well on its side. I then stored the battery on its side for several more weeks, again no leaks or problems.

A friend who has a large automotive shop told me he ordered a Spiral Wound battery and forgot about it for a year and a half. When he remembered it in an emergency situation he pulled it out and it started a very cold engine.

All those I know who have used and tested the Orbital were very impressed; we all agreed this truly is one amazing piece of technology.

The Orbital Extreme Duty Battery lists at $200. If you don't need the deep cycle feature, you can opt for the Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Cell battery starting at just $170.

Update, November, 2007: After I completed the test, one of the test batteries was hit which caused the case to crack. I did a quick repair and over the past six months it is still working. It may be not as good as it once was, but it still works.

Glen Konorowski is a freelance automotive writer who specializes in automotive accessories. His articles have appeared in the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun among other Canadian publications
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Squishy

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2007, 02:36:30 pm »
Well that explains it.  The counter guys told me the Eliminator battery was deep cycle as well >:(.  I'll just keep destroying batteries then until my warranty runs out.

I did notice that my electronics and lights no longer cut out when starting the car after I put in the SpiralCell.  The same happens with Optima batteries.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2007, 03:33:39 pm »
JUST replaced our original battery on our 01' Accord today (lasted 6.5 years!). Bought one from Costco, $65.

barrie1

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 01:05:19 am »
I have never had that happen with any of the Delco's I have used as well. They also have some deep cycle models for amny different uses as well. Marine and model railroading are a few of the other uses for them.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 08:33:33 am »
I have never had that happen with any of the Delco's I have used as well. They also have some deep cycle models for amny different uses as well. Marine and model railroading are a few of the other uses for them.  :)

Ah yes, the good old days of using batteries to run our trains, how I remember them well    :rofl2:

Yes, in the far distant past batteries were used to run the locomotives on model railways but now, at least for the indoor ones, that is not done anymore.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 02:13:35 pm »
JUST replaced our original battery on our 01' Accord today (lasted 6.5 years!). Bought one from Costco, $65.

What kind?  Cheap-o batteries... i wonder how long they'll last on your Accord.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 05:16:50 pm »

I did the same thing last winter, $55.00 plus tax. The 9 year old battery it replaced was also the cheapest I could find at the time.

For those who keep burning batteries out, alternator undercharging or overcharging can both be battery killers, again having a volt gauge on the dash is useful. Some systems just don't regulate well. Overcharging boils the water out of maintenance free batteries which then usually doesn't get replaced = toasted cells.

mar1990

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »

Costco batteries are made by Interstate.  I can't comment on whether the formula changes for the costco label tho.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:27 pm »

Costco batteries are made by Interstate.  I can't comment on whether the formula changes for the costco label tho.

You'll need to provide a link for that statement.  On every battery there is a manufacturers code.  Interstate is a marketer of batteries usually from Johnson Controls supplier.  They they tend to be of higher quality and higher priced.

Johnson Controls say they are the exclusive supplier of Costco.  In the USA they are called Kirkland.  What does your battery say?  In Walmart Canada they are called Eveready.  In Walmart USA they are called Everstart.  Motorcraft for Ford. Truestart for Toyota dealers.  :)

http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.asp

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:04:51 am by articsteve »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 11:23:21 pm »
Costco batteries are of very good price. I used Sears Diehard on my E30 for the longest time, change it every 5 years, even if it still works.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 11:43:16 pm »
The "Label" of the battery from Costco is Kirkland Signature. Kind of like a no name brand, like President's Choice.  :-[

I will check later who its made by, and what the warranty is (my dad bought it).

All I know is that it has more cold cranking amps than our old battery.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:54:58 pm by 2hondas »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 11:47:19 pm »
Johnson Controls

all these labels listed on this link are made by Johnson Control who must have 50% of the world market.  They also own Varta and Optima.

barrie1

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 12:05:43 am »
Walmart and Costco at one time have both also sold Delco Batteries altho they may not be at the moment but they have in the past. Any brand of Battery can have the cells go dry and burn out if No fluid is left inside of them. Not just the sealed units. Always use distilled water when refilling a Battery up as it will last much longer this way.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 01:15:04 am »
Delphi, a former GM company now in Chapter 11, makes the Delco battery.  Quality was probably pretty good then, but I dunno about now.  GM are big on side post batteries.  Side post batteries tend to leak a lot.

Squishy

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 04:35:50 am »
For those who keep burning batteries out, alternator undercharging or overcharging can both be battery killers, again having a volt gauge on the dash is useful. Some systems just don't regulate well. Overcharging boils the water out of maintenance free batteries which then usually doesn't get replaced = toasted cells.
If you have a Ford with a digital readout, you can get information on the charging system by entering the diagnostic mode.  Hold down the Trip Reset button while turning the engine on, and keep it held until the readout displays "tESt".  Press the Reset button to cycle through diagnostic readouts until you get to the voltage reading, which will be something like "bAt 13.8".

mar1990

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 07:35:39 pm »

You'll need to provide a link for that statement.  On every battery there is a manufacturers code.  Interstate is a marketer of batteries usually from Johnson Controls supplier.  They they tend to be of higher quality and higher priced.

Johnson Controls say they are the exclusive supplier of Costco.  In the USA they are called Kirkland.  What does your battery say?  In Walmart Canada they are called Eveready.  In Walmart USA they are called Everstart.  Motorcraft for Ford. Truestart for Toyota dealers.  :)

The battery in the van is a Kirkland (Costco).  As for code, the wife has the van right now so I can't check.  Where on the battery would I find the code?

My source for stating they are Interstate was from the Costco Magazine from last year.

My 03 Corolla has the original Dephi battery in it.