Author Topic: CTS-V unmasked!  (Read 7730 times)

Mitlov

Re: CTS-V unmasked!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »

For whatever reason this pic makes me think about the Borg.

:lol:  Though I see it more as Star Wars--maybe something you'd see on the Death Star.  A Star Trek interior would be the 2006+ Civic, in my opinion.

Anyway, yet more good news for the CTS and CTS-V: they've obtained top crash test scores from the IIHS.  That places them on par with their Audi competitors, and better than some of their other German competitors (most notably the E-Class, which got an "acceptable" instead of a "good" for side impacts, and particularly the 5-Series, which only managed a "marginal").

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr010908.html

File it away in the "how to talk my spouse into letting me get a CTS-V" file.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:15 pm »

:lol:  Though I see it more as Star Wars--maybe something you'd see on the Death Star.  A Star Trek interior would be the 2006+ Civic, in my opinion.

Anyway, yet more good news for the CTS and CTS-V: they've obtained top crash test scores from the IIHS.  That places them on par with their Audi competitors, and better than some of their other German competitors (most notably the E-Class, which got an "acceptable" instead of a "good" for side impacts, and particularly the 5-Series, which only managed a "marginal").

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr010908.html

File it away in the "how to talk my spouse into letting me get a CTS-V" file.

Can you not have billable hours during lunch :rofl2:
My wife will let me get a X5 for my next work vehicle but I can not justified payment of over 1g / month to myself :'(

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »
Whoa.

Well done GM, well done!  Did they fire their entire design studio during their restructuring?

550 horsepower, 550 ft-lbs from a supercharged 6.2L V8.

Seriously now, what's the point of power like that!?

I can't wait for the super shoot-out comparisons.  M3, RS4, CTS-V, C-AMG, IS-F... oh it's gonna be great! ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:35:12 pm by Mattesa »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »
Whoa.

Well done GM, well done!  Did they fire their entire design studio during their restructuring?

Because they can :D

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 03:38:57 pm »
Whoa.

Because they can :D

The icing on the cake is when they say it does 15/24mpg... because they can.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 03:43:43 pm »

The icing on the cake is when they say it does 15/24mpg... because they can.

I don't think that the kind of person who buys this kind of car really cares about millage.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 03:45:46 pm »
I can't wait for the super shoot-out comparisons.  M3, RS4, CTS-V, C-AMG, IS-F... oh it's gonna be great! ;D

Top Gear recently did an awesome M3/RS4/C63 shootout.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-q_yVn7Jc

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5i4uyzTok&feature=related

I would have loved to have seen how the IS-F and CTS-V compared.  And despite the Caddy's size, it still competes in my mind.  It's the same price range, and according to Car & Driver, the normal CTS outhandles the C300 Sport.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 03:47:11 pm »
Also that is pretty good mileage for an engine that size, and that is probably us mpg

so 15/24 in US mpg would be 15.68 / 9.8   L/100km

Arhidia

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 05:28:27 pm »
My co-worker has the 06 CTS-V. It's a very nice car. Everyone that walks by it, stops for a look. I think his car has 480 hp if I remember correctly. He avoids driving it in downtown Toronto simply because it's a larger vehicle and he goes crazy if he sees any scratches on it. He's told me he has to be careful when he puts his foot to the gas pedal because he can easily wear his tires. And he has run-flat tires that cost about $1,000,000.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 05:43:30 pm »
My co-worker has the 06 CTS-V. It's a very nice car. Everyone that walks by it, stops for a look. I think his car has 480 hp if I remember correctly. He avoids driving it in downtown Toronto simply because it's a larger vehicle and he goes crazy if he sees any scratches on it. He's told me he has to be careful when he puts his foot to the gas pedal because he can easily wear his tires. And he has run-flat tires that cost about $1,000,000.

I was going to say that sounds like an STS-V. But with $1 million tires it's obviously something much more exotic. :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 05:47:08 pm »
Saw this TV about the CTS, an attractive lady driving it, saying something like, "when you turn the car ON, does IT return the favor?" ... think this new V series does that.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 06:29:39 pm »
One of the cheesiest designs I have seen lately. Will suit the 65-year-old ricer boys just fine.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 07:23:46 pm »
One of the cheesiest designs I have seen lately. Will suit the 65-year-old ricer boys just fine.
??? ::)
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Arhidia

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 08:26:23 pm »

I was going to say that sounds like an STS-V. But with $1 million tires it's obviously something much more exotic. :)

Oooops... you're right. It is the STS-V. The tires are very exotic.  ;)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:29 pm »

Ah yes! It does have a bit of Shiny Vader Helmet going on.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 10:47:12 pm »
The 300hp V6 I drove a few weeks back was pretty darn fast, this is going to be a rocket.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 05:54:58 am »
R-E-S-P-E-C-T - That's what it is going to garner from the go-fast crowd. Sitting there it intimidates just from the looks and while I'm not a fan of the bigger lower intake, I do like the statement the hood makes.

I think it's the right direction for GM to be going to help keep the family from crossing over. The Corvette has long been the image car. After looking at the new ZR1 in C & D this month, the looks just aren't there - although there is no question the performance is.

Having another aspire car in the lineup is a good step and this builds nicely on what has been started. I'll bet sales will be a lot more this time around.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

::) or 47 year old men like me who can afford them.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:07 am »

::) or 47 year old men like me who can afford them.

Well said.  Seems to be a few rice fans around with a pickle up their butts that acura doesn't produce a decent car above the TL.  (RL is over-priced crap IMO).

RE: CTS-V.  This thing looks mean and the performance will be awesome.  Saw an estimated price (Motortrend?) of about $62k USD.  If that's the case, this thing is a huuuge value in it's class.

I make no bones about being BMW and Euro-in-general homer (Unfortunately my income doesn't match my tastes -> Mustang!), and I'm not nuts about GM's decision to retain the ugly ass old-school Caddy rear ends on the CTS, but if you're a GM man, you have to love this car.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 12:07:13 pm »
..Where is MY "V"...tha Force be wif Barrie.................... :banana: :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once