Author Topic: CTS-V unmasked!  (Read 7742 times)

Mitlov

CTS-V unmasked!
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:22 pm »

Any speculation about the styling of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V can now be laid to rest thanks to our exclusive spy photos. Snagged during a photo shoot of the upcoming Cadillac super sedan, these shots reveal a CTS V-Series with a dramatically revised front end, bigger wheels and tires and a few modest changes out back.

Gone is the egg-crate grille that gives the standard CTS such a distinctive look up front. In its place is a two-piece trapezoidal mesh grille much like the setup on the original CTS-V. We suspect the mesh design does a better job of feeding fresh air to the engine, as Cadillac has boasted about borrowing the design of the standard CTS's grille from the Sixteen concept.

Although the airdam on the CTS-V is certainly aggressive, it doesn't appear as though it's much lower to the ground when compared side by side with that of the standard CTS. This could be due to the fact that there's no bump strip at the bottom of this prototype piece, a detail that could be added to the production cars.

The shape of the airdam is continued all the way around the car by extended rocker sills and a reshaped rear fascia. It's more subtle than we expected, although the car already has fairly aggressive bodywork to begin with. Even the hood bulge is pretty sedate, as it blends in perfectly with the rest of the original hood creases.

Of course, the big question still remains: What's under that hood? Our best sources have been telling us to expect a normally aspirated LS7 V8, but a recent interview with Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor seems to confirm the other most talked-about option β€” a supercharged 6.2-liter V8. Either way, the 2009 CTS-V will have roughly 525 horsepower, a figure that will put it slightly ahead of direct competitors like the Audi S6, BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.

Taylor also confirms that the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V will offer the choice of a manual or automatic transmission β€” both six-speeds. This should help broaden the appeal of the CTS-V, which has been a sales disappointment so far. Look for the official unveil of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show in January.

More pictures at InsideLine

ghost

Re: CTS-V unmasked!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:46:27 pm »
Awesome! If only Morpheus had one of these, the car will not turn into a Swiss Cheese.  ;D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:50:53 pm »
Of course, the big question still remains: What's under that hood? Our best sources have been telling us to expect a normally aspirated LS7 V8, but a recent interview with Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor seems to confirm the other most talked-about option β€” a supercharged 6.2-liter V8. Either way, the 2009 CTS-V will have roughly 525 horsepower, a figure that will put it slightly ahead of direct competitors like the Audi S6, BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.

:drool:  Ridiculous power for a sedan...  can't wait for the official unveiling.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:54:52 pm »
Wow, that's some crazy power for a family car.

I'm not too crazy about the "power bulge" in the hood.  I find it disrupts the lines.  I don't like it in the Mazdaspeed6 either.  Though I suspect all criticisms disappear when you put your right foot down.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:31:25 pm »
Wow…..Cady is sure making its presence felt in the Lux sedan market.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:32:32 pm »
  Though I suspect all criticisms disappear when you put your right foot down.

If they fixed the wheel hop....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bwhiting

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:34:53 am »
want one! wonder how much they will go for in the US? or even be admissible?

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:56 pm »
I am sure the wheel hop and a lot more has been fixed already but they are just fine tuning this car until then. I am sure it will be worth the wait for those who buy it.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:24:43 pm »
It's been officially unveiled.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/detroit-2008-2009-cadillac-cts-v-revealed-with-550-hp/

550 horsepower, 550 ft-lbs from a supercharged 6.2L V8.  Your choice of a six-speed auto or the six-speed manual borrowed from the Corvette ZR-1.  Brembo six-piston brakes, etc.

The exterior is predictable--slightly more aggressive CTS lines with a hood bulge (that isn't just for show) and a mesh grill.  The interior, though, may just be the best in the segment in my opinion.

The sport seats (14-way adjustable, and oh yeah, they're made by Recaro):

The dash (check out the high-res for the stitched-leather dash, the perforated alcantara seats and wheel, and the great combination of surfaces on the center console):

Full gallery here, including high-resolution:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detroit-2008-2009-cadillac-cts-v/556418/

Now, we could argue all day as to whether this is supposed to compete with the C-Class AMG or the E-Class AMG, but either way, I think it's hard to deny that Caddy is bringing their A-Game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:29:27 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:50 pm »
What a sweet car that is. You can keep your Corvettes, Vipers, and GTRs. This hits me right where I drive. ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:12:22 pm »
I don't get it, what's the point of the Detroit autoshow if they launch all the cars BEFORE the show? 

Must be just the free booze.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 09:23:59 pm »
62k US is what they're saying.  Hopefully the Cdn versions won't be too much more...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:29:59 pm »

For whatever reason this pic makes me think about the Borg.

And welcome back Mitlov.  :hello:
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:36:45 pm »
Oooohhh..their back down to 5 lug wheels from 6. Shoudl be easier to source aftermarket wheels now...or snows.
What happened to that guy a year or two back that had one? He use to employed by GM or something an do the car show tours. ???
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Wolfe

barrie1

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 02:04:15 am »
About the last time we seen him was at the Auto-show in Toronto. He had 2 of these I believe he said at the time and really liked them a lot. If thats the price in the US then it will be awful close here as well and a darn good value for the money as well. If I get lucky this year i will buy one myself.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 09:30:18 am »
"If i get LUCKY this year i may buy  one myself "....... ::)...i'd screw tha Pooch fer ONE.... :thumbup: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:53 am »
I don't get it, what's the point of the Detroit autoshow if they launch all the cars BEFORE the show? 

Must be just the free booze.

Did some say free booze? :)
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 09:55:03 am »
..NO UNVEILING & DRIVING now WING................... :rofl: :o :o :-[ :-[ :banana: :banana: tha dance of the  bed 3 sheets to the Wind..........

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
What a sweet car that is. You can keep your Corvettes, Vipers, and GTRs. This hits me right where I drive. ;D
:iagree:(with the exception of the GT-R)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:11:08 am by DockMan »
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner