Author Topic: CD Article: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI  (Read 68989 times)

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
Re: CD Article: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
I fully understand that most people who'd buy a diesel would do many, many more KMs a year than I do... if not why buy a diesel.

For the same reason I'm considering buying one - for the fuel mileage of a small 4 cyl and the torque of a good V6.  The VW TDI has more torque than my 2002 Acura 3.2 TL-S - 236lb ft at a lowly 2000rpm for the VW versus 232lb ft at above 3500rpm for my Acura.  My car is a very leisurely cruiser and hill gobbler and I'd expect the TDI to be at least as good while getting better mileage than my 32-36mpg and on premium fuel to boot.

Most of my highway cruising in the Acura is around the 2000 rpm mark - 1500rpm lower than the start of my optimum torque.  The TDI's torque is at 1750 to 2500rpm - just exactly my cruising speed.

I hear the negative comment many times, even from sales people - "If you don't do lots of kilometers, the TDI is a bad choice as it will never pay for itself" but for me, there's more to it than that and it's a side that the TDI reviewers and sellers should bring out.  You can never have enough torque.  One drive with my 350lb ft of torque in the Vette will convince you of that.  I wish I could afford double.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2010, 10:32:04 am »
...for someone who doesn't want to think about their car, or is lax on maintenance, it's probably better to get a good timing chain equipped gasser. [/color]

Maybe not.  Poor maintenance causes timing chains to wear prematurely.  The life of a chain depends on the cleanliness of the engine oil.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2010, 11:02:16 am »
@wheelboy. I will seriously consider a TDI to replace the GTI  because I like diesels. I, like you, like the torque.  My sole quibble about the current Golf TDI ( I want a hatch not a sedan) is that, in Canada VW in their marketing wisdom, do not make HIDs available.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2010, 11:49:15 am »
@wheelboy. I will seriously consider a TDI to replace the GTI  because I like diesels. I, like you, like the torque.  My sole quibble about the current Golf TDI ( I want a hatch not a sedan) is that, in Canada VW in their marketing wisdom, do not make HIDs available.

Wouldn't that be something you could fix through the aftermarket?

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2010, 11:54:30 am »

Wouldn't that be something you could fix through the aftermarket?

yes and no.  Yes it could be, No because I'd want the VW warranty on the light units.  My local dealership would probably fit real VW HIDS before I picked up the car and get them under warranty... for a price.  One could just to buy the car in the USA and get no warranty at all in Canada but have money in pocket to pay for repairs.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2010, 12:00:44 pm »
One could just to buy the car in the USA and get no warranty at all in Canada but have money in pocket to pay for repairs.

There's a thought.  Buy the car for thousands less and just forget the warranty - and of course hope for the best.  I wonder what the car companies factor in for the value of the warranty?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »
One could just to buy the car in the USA and get no warranty at all in Canada but have money in pocket to pay for repairs.

There's a thought.  Buy the car for thousands less and just forget the warranty - and of course hope for the best.  I wonder what the car companies factor in for the value of the warranty?

That would make  a very good story, one that I would read

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
IT will never be written in the beach sand as it varies with the tide,,,,,,,,,,,recalls and model/Companies'  proclivities make some "cheap" to warranty...others "expensive"...hence the 3 years 50K   vs 10 years 160K warranties..... :bang:..i'm sure their respective risk assessors and stats Men are pulling their hair out...unit by root,,,,, ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2010, 02:47:03 pm »
That would make  a very good story, one that I would read

There has to be a dollar figure for it that's factored in when pricing out their cars.  But we never read about it do we?