Author Topic: I test-drove a 2008 VW City Golf today, first time  (Read 5365 times)

SteelyDon

I test-drove a 2008 VW City Golf today, first time
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:38:19 am »
GOOD: Nice road manners on the 403, handled like a VW does, steering is nice, fairly direct. Best thing: visibility. Windshield & front windows give better visibility than any car I've been in before. It's a wider, more panoramic view, like a picture window.  The motor is quite happy at highway speeds, likely because of 6-speed auto tranny. Seat: good, with back>forth, vertical, and incline control.  That, with adjustable, telescopic steering wheel, allows you to fit in, with a little adjustment. Front and back seats are both roomy enough, upholstery is OK.  Controls & dials are good, stereo is OK.  Generally, the car feels good on the road, and treats you well.
BAD: No arm rest. For some, this is a deal-breaker.  After market arm rests are available out there, somewhere. The cruise control control - no, that's not a typo - is very clumsy for me, in the vicinity of the turn signal. I might be able to get used to it, but I've seen a lot better.  I could not get the Tiptronic transmission feature to make sense in such a short time.  From a stop, the drive train seems not robust, perhaps hesitant.  Perhaps I could get used to the gas pedal and get the mojo working so that it didn't feel like that.  Part of this is that the 6-speed tranny shifts twice just getting 50 feet from my drive way.  I'm not sure how this would feel in stop and go city traffic.  More observation is required, to be fair.
VERDICT: Another drive is required. I would do the after market arm rest. The cruise, I would get used to.  If the drive train makes sense on a second test drive, then I'm in.  The steering, road feel, excellent visibility, and nice interior, make an attractive package.  It still has a lot of the mojo which my 1976 Rabbit had, and that ain't bad. Mystic Blue, or Reflex Silver.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: I test-drove a 2008 VW City Golf today, first time
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:39:50 am »
What vehicles are you comparing it to?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:48:59 am »
Part of this is that the 6-speed tranny shifts twice just getting 50 feet from my drive way.  I'm not sure how this would feel in stop and go city traffic.

:thumbup:

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in the Malibu thread; too many gears for the low output motor.

I guess your getting the loaded unit???   I think the Citys are a good buy with manual and stripped down.

SteelyDon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:07:01 am »
I'm not sure that I'm getting one.  If I do, I need power doors and windows, and A/C.  I'm on the road a bit for work, so no, I don't think that I want a manual, although I do like them, on principle.

I have heard that VW will replace the City line with a new entry level small sedan in 2009.  I can't wait, my lease is up around April 1st, 2008.  The City Golf may become a collector's item, or an Edsel.

Compare?  My gal and I both are shopping, both for smallish cars.  We've driven or will drive: City Golf, Corolla, Civic, Mazda3, Fit, Matrix, Versa, Sempra.  The Mazda3 is quite the driver, nice feel, good car.  Too bad their designers are colour-blind.  The Civic drive train is up there in Rolls Royce territory, which is to say Cadillac territory, since that's where RR gets the torque converter.  It's like the Starship Enterprise: powerful, but smooth as silk. I'm in a Civic now.

She has pretty well decided on Mazda3, which I think is a good one for her, and my jury is still out on mine.  I want to like the VW.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:17:13 am »
I guess your getting the loaded unit???   

Thousand apologies.  I should have said "I guess your considering a loaded version/unit.  :)

I don't think that I want a manual, although I do like them, on principle.

Again a misunderstanding.  I meant to imply that these City cars are a good value and probably drive the best in manual with few options.

Can I assume a hatchback is important to you?  Hence that would rule out a Civic, which IMO is the smartest buy.  However, if your leasing then what the heck.  You won't be stuck with it out of warranty.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:33 am »
In general, I think that people may be going too far with too many gears in transmissions.  And that's across the board--not to single out GM, VW, or anyone else.  Another honorable mention is the IS-F.  As was recently pointed out in a test-drive I read, if you're cruising at slow highway speeds, and then you want the ideal gear for an aggressive pass, you click the "shift down" paddle six times to drop from eighth gear to third gear.

Maybe things would be different with a peaky engine (say, Civic Si), but I've never wished that my torquey 1.8T had a sixth forward gear.

SteelyDon

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:59:03 am »
Can I assume a hatchback is important to you?  Hence that would rule out a Civic, which IMO is the smartest buy.  However, if your leasing then what the heck.  You won't be stuck with it out of warranty.

Civic is the best car, I agree.  However, their designers went stupid on me.  The LED speedometer is a big no-no, I can't stand looking at it, it distracts me.  It was a bad idea in the 1970s and is still a bad idea.  They just have to fix stuff which ain't broke.  They designed themselves out of a sale on that one. 

However, if your leasing then what the heck.  You won't be stuck with it out of warranty.

Exactly.  The VW is more a matter of emotion and style, as is the hatchback idea. 

I am convinced that VW are working hard on quality control, are much better now than a few years ago, and will continue to improve.

As for gears, if I can't get that drivetrain to make sense to me, well........

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:28:10 am »
I am convinced that VW are working hard on quality control, are much better now than a few years ago, and will continue to improve.

And the City Jetta (the MkIV Jetta) is a tried and true platform by now.  The major problems with it were ironed out by the 2004 year.  I absolutely love my VW.  I would never buy a first-year model or first year of a new generation, though.  Maybe not even second.  But the MkIV platform was first released in 1998 (in Europe, 2000 in North America)...so VW's had a decade to problem solve.  I wouldn't worry about reliability at all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 03:00:42 am »
  Another honorable mention is the IS-F. 

Every review I have read says it's likely the best manu-matic tranny in ALL of autodom...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:59 am »
In general, I think that people may be going too far with too many gears in transmissions.  And that's across the board--not to single out GM, VW, or anyone else.  Another honorable mention is the IS-F.  As was recently pointed out in a test-drive I read, if you're cruising at slow highway speeds, and then you want the ideal gear for an aggressive pass, you click the "shift down" paddle six times to drop from eighth gear to third gear.

Maybe things would be different with a peaky engine (say, Civic Si), but I've never wished that my torquey 1.8T had a sixth forward gear.

5 times surely ?   8-7  7-6  6-5  5-4  4-3.  The fencepost problem.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:59 am »
..click..click..click..click..click...............SORRY U have been disconnected from a driving experience...TRY AGAIN LATER.... :'(.......................Maybe if I could afford an "F" in Lexus I'd be KINDER and GENTLER....... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Cortina

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 11:50:47 am »
Civic is the best car, I agree.  However, their designers went stupid on me.  The LED speedometer is a big no-no, I can't stand looking at it, it distracts me. 

I have a friend who owns one. He said "it took me about month or so to get used to the dash. But once I did all other cars look old fashion inside"

So I think your shooting yourself in the foot if you don't at least try one.  :)

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 11:58:50 am »
Civic is the best car, I agree.  However, their designers went stupid on me.  The LED speedometer is a big no-no, I can't stand looking at it, it distracts me. 

I have a friend who owns one. He said "it took me about month or so to get used to the dash. But once I did all other cars look old fashion inside"

So I think your shooting yourself in the foot if you don't at least try one.  :)
:iagree: I have heard that many many times.

SteelyDon

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:06:42 pm »
Try?  I test drove a couple.  Do you mean buy one, and see if I like it in a month?  Would they give me a refund if I don't like after that period?  It seems obnoxious to me now, I don't think I want to experiment for Honda's benefit.

To me, a car with an automatic transmission, and a large tachometer as the central focus of its instrument panel, has been designed with something other than logic in mind.

[pause] I just looked at the interior photos of the Corolla, and that's a no-no as well.  It has a gated shifter.  I use my shifter a lot in my current Civic, and will in my car, but it won't be anything with a gated shifter.  Ah, more improvements.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 12:59:25 pm »
..click..click..click..click..click...............SORRY U have been disconnected from a driving experience...TRY AGAIN LATER.... :'(.......................Maybe if I could afford an "F" in Lexus I'd be KINDER and GENTLER....... ;D

Decoder ring is working well today.   I have often wondered why an AUTOMATIC should need any  clicks. 

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 01:48:01 pm »

Civic is the best car, I agree.  However, their designers went stupid on me.  The LED speedometer is a big no-no, I can't stand looking at it, it distracts me.  It was a bad idea in the 1970s and is still a bad idea.  They just have to fix stuff which ain't broke.  They designed themselves out of a sale on that one. 

The LED is pretty big and bright.  I can read the new Civic's speedometer as it is passing my VW.  :)

Cortina

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 02:51:15 pm »
Try?  I test drove a couple. 

Aaaah I didn't know that.  :) Shame it is a great car. But then there is the Astra.  :rofl2:

SteelyDon

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 02:56:22 pm »
Come to think of it....... why DO they have tachometers in AT cars?
Half or more people would not even understand what it's for.   ???

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 03:20:14 pm »
I'm on the road a bit for work, so no, I don't think that I want a manual, although I do like them, on principle.

City or highway traveling?  A manual is fine on the highway - I never got bored of it in town, either, but I was never driving in really bad stop and go conditions.  If you like the City Golf, but not the auto tranny, it might be worth revisiting the transmission choice.  :)

What about the Cobalt/G5 twins?  I really liked the GT Pursuit I drove, but the base models are a bit lacking, I think...  still, it's a GM, chances are you can get a good price on one.  :)

SteelyDon

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 01:08:01 am »
City driving.  Still, perhaps I will test-drive a standard, no harm done.

Does anyone here know what the [now] City Golf sold for back in - what, 2005? - when it was the ONLY Golf?

Thank you.