Author Topic: Mitsubishi's upcoming clean diesel sports coupe  (Read 2040 times)

Mitlov

Mitsubishi's upcoming clean diesel sports coupe
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:13:42 am »
Until the NAIAS in January, all we have are concept sketches and text.  But the PR release demonstrates that this isn't a pie-in-the-sky concept, nor a Euro-only car.  They've designed it to meet US emissions standards.

So here's the question...does an AWD diesel sports coupe with 201 horsepower, 309 ft-lbs, an aluminum space frame, and a dual-clutch automated manual sound fun to anyone else?  I wonder if this will become the flagship Eclipse (next-generation, obviously, not the current one) in the way that the EVO is the flagship Lancer.

More info here:
http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/2008-ra_concept/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:20:06 am by Mitlov »

Wolfe

Re: Mitsubishi's upcoming clean diesel sports coupe
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:54:45 am »
Very interesting.

I wonder if this will be built on the Lancer platform or be built on the Galant platform like the current Eclipse. I was shocked at how claustrophobic the interior of the current Eclipse felt when I was car shopping a couple of years ago.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:02:01 am »
I think it's based on the new Lancer platform; IIRC Mitsu official press release mentions it somewhere.

It looks and sounds great. I'm not sure about the plastic body panels.... Saturn???!!!.... I wonder how would they behave in exteme heat or extreme cold..... body panels gaps...???

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:40:04 am »
Until the NAIAS in January, all we have are concept sketches and text.  But the PR release demonstrates that this isn't a pie-in-the-sky concept, nor a Euro-only car.  They've designed it to meet US emissions standards.

So here's the question...does an AWD diesel sports coupe with 201 horsepower, 309 ft-lbs, an aluminum space frame, and a dual-clutch automated manual sound fun to anyone else?  I wonder if this will become the flagship Eclipse (next-generation, obviously, not the current one) in the way that the EVO is the flagship Lancer.

Great idea; looks like Mitsu is really trying to get itself out of the hole it's been in the last 5 yr... At the same time, there are many non-concept diesel already running on European roads--why not to bring them here?? I am sure some of them do pass new emission standards. I want to see A3 quattro 2.0 TDi engine with 170 hp and 260 ft-lbs...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:28:02 am »
 say that AGAIN.................CLEAN DIESEL...music ta ma ears......... ;D :banana: :banana: :thumbup: :light: .but....I'm just an olde Hack  hawrk  ..FAN from whenever....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:19:11 am »
Update:  Here it is in the flesh.  Mitshibishi has proven very good about making minimal changes from concept to production (compare the Concept X to the EVO X), so this may very well be the next Eclipse.  But an AWD clean-diesel Eclipse sure sounds more tempting than the current FWD, looks-better-than-it-handles model.

http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/2008-ra_concept/

The interior will need to be toned down, but not as much as with most concept cars.