Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi EVO X Canadian Specs  (Read 33305 times)

Mitlov

Re: 2008 Mitsubishi EVO X Canadian Specs
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2007, 12:22:13 pm »
I'm saying it gives people the option to be lazy about not wanting to learn how to drive a manual  OR put up with the sometimes pain of driving a manual...which, I, personally, have associated with a "true" enthusiast car.

You're still implying that there's laziness involved with dual-clutch automated manuals.  But the "it means they have to learn how to do fewer things" argument is silly.  That's like saying that it's lazy to concentrate on learning to drive sports cars, instead of also learning to drive motorcycles.  You're focusing on perfecting a narrower skill set...but does that make you lazy?

There's a whole lot more to enthusiast driving than working a third pedal.  It is entirely possible to be a passionate driving enthusiast with shift paddles instead of a clutch pedal.  Just ask any Ferrari F430 Scuderia owner.

I refuse to believe that someone is more "lazy" than other enthusiasts because they enjoy the super-fast, super-precise gear shifts of a dual-clutch automated manual.  I refuse to believe that someone's preference for Gran-Turismo-style shift paddles over a stick to their side makes them "lazy."  There may be some people who choose dual-clutch automated manuals over traditional manuals because they're lazy, but most "lazy" people don't want a car as hard-edged as an EVO anyway.  And there are a whole bunch of reasons to choose this new flavor of transmission that have nothing to do with laziness whatsoever.

There's also a huge negative side to the "enthusiast cars should only come with old-school manual transmissions" argument.  People with knee problems, amputees, and the like couldn't drive enthusiast cars if enthusiast cars only came with traditional manuals.  Are they "lazy" and destined only to drive a Camry SE because, god forbid, they blew out their knee a decade ago?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:35:47 pm by Mitlov »

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2007, 04:21:12 pm »
Right.  Because everyone who finds appeal in a dual-clutch automated manual is lazy  ::)

Lazy?  Yes...absolutely...positively!!!   ;D   I admit to having an interest in these transmissions too...I just can't convince myself to get one...perhaps some day.

Of course I'm not saying they're lazy people...I'm saying it gives people the option to be lazy about not wanting to learn how to drive a manual  OR put up with the sometimes pain of driving a manual...which, I, personally, have associated with a "true" enthusiast car. 

Heck, I'm lazy and use a GPS when I fly instead of reading a map.  Does that make less of an airplane enthusiast?  It might!

I also like the idea of these trannies but I figure as long as my left foot will allow me to shift I'll continue to do it.  Think about when you're 70 and have all kinds of knee and health problems, you're going to wish you could use that lefty..  ;D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 11:38:24 pm »
...there are a whole bunch of reasons to choose this new flavor of transmission that have nothing to do with laziness whatsoever.

Correct, as you stated, there are a bunch of reasons...some reasons have nothing to do with laziness...and some of them have everything to do with laziness.

I just find it upsetting that the 3-pedal manual is becoming extinct.  In the Evo...my only choice is the GSR...in which you can't get things like leather, heated seats, fast-key entry, navigation...you know...all of those options that lazy people need.   :stick:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2007, 12:47:19 am »
The performance of these two cars is too close to call.  In the hands of "normal drivers" neither has a distinct advantage.  But, they have different characters, and I'd buy based on that.  I'd lean towards the STi and it's hatch body and Subaru quality...

davidm

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »

There's also a huge negative side to the "enthusiast cars should only come with old-school manual transmissions" argument.  People with knee problems, amputees, and the like couldn't drive enthusiast cars if enthusiast cars only came with traditional manuals.  Are they "lazy" and destined only to drive a Camry SE because, god forbid, they blew out their knee a decade ago?

If I have to drive a Camry SE for the rest of my life (arthritic right wrist at a shockingly young age) I think I'd have to commit suicide!  ;)  Thank god for DSG and the new Evo X.  Just need more cars with these things because as it is I'm down to choosing between an A3 3.2 and an Evo X and while I like both options they are a) pricey, and b) only two choices (GTI is out after driving one - can I say I HATE FWD!!!).

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »
Mitsu has a real opportunity here to put Subaru's STi on the trailer.  Pricing.  Subaru Canada might drop the 08 STi price a few pennies, but it will still be $12-15K over the US price.  Mitsu can price the EVO close to the US price and the STi will look overpriced like crazy.

Why?  Well, many people (me included) do not see Mitsu as a viable brand thanks to their poor reliability reputation.  However, for $32K, I would think VERY strongly about taking home an EVO.

Offline supercrip

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 WRX265 Stage 2
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2008, 10:14:43 pm »
Interesting articles on the Evo, STI and GTR in the latest issue of Winding Road. It's a free subscription

http://www.windingroad.com/

interestingly enough the reason why the trunk space is limited in the Evo is because they placed the battery and windshield washer reservoir in the trunk for better  weight distribution.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
Mitsu has a real opportunity here to put Subaru's STi on the trailer.  Pricing.

Mitsu can price the EVO close to the US price and the STi will look overpriced like crazy.

I'm 100% with ya johngenx.  Mitsu has no excuse not to either - they, unlike Subaru, don't have any leased Evos in Canada that would be impacted by a lower MSRP.

I just wouldn't bet on it...as noted in another post, the Mini Clubman is 23% higher in Canada than the US when I equipped them equally...and that's technically a "new" model.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2008, 02:25:10 pm »
Mitsu has a real opportunity here to put Subaru's STi on the trailer.  Pricing.  Subaru Canada might drop the 08 STi price a few pennies, but it will still be $12-15K over the US price.  Mitsu can price the EVO close to the US price and the STi will look overpriced like crazy.

Why?  Well, many people (me included) do not see Mitsu as a viable brand thanks to their poor reliability reputation.  However, for $32K, I would think VERY strongly about taking home an EVO.

Amen to THAT, brother!  It's make it or break it time for Mitsubishi.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2008, 03:24:06 pm »

Mitsubishi doesn't have poor reliability. There are few recent reliability reports to support this and they place Mitsu fairly high (top 10).
Dealer network and product line up are two of their major weaknesses. In North America at least, at this time, they only have the Outlander, the Lancer and arguably the Eclipse as competitive vehicles.
Pricing wise, Mitsu priced the Outlander very well and the Lancer so-so (a bit too high IMO). For example, back in January 2007 I think when they announced the Canadian pricing for the Outlander, it was about 20% higher than the US model when the CAD was around 0.85 USD.
I agree Mitsu would be stupid to price the Evo too high in Canada perhaps capitalizing on the fact that it's the first time the Evo is available here. My guess is that they will price it few grand below the STi.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2008, 07:37:30 pm »
Mitsubishi doesn't have poor reliability.

I didn't say they did.  They have a poor reputation.  That might as well be the same.  Our local dealers have a rep for poor new car sales service, outrageously poor used car sales service and poor shops.  Truth?  Who knows.  What's in the consumer's mid is what matters.  Mitsu needs to get people into showrooms and I think agressive pricing is one way.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:43 pm »
Sorry John, this is how I read your comment, but thanks for clarifying.

I agree with the dealership network and service quality, in general. However, the dealers in Toronto area, and I visited all but one, have decent facilities as they are relatively new. The dealership I bought my Outlander from has the worst facility IMO; however the people I dealt with were decent folks. I keep taking my car back there for service due to the fact that the Service Manager is very nice and helpful. She goes the extra mile to make the customer happy and I certainly appreciate that. I don’t care much about how flashy the dealership is, but I certainly value very much the service I receive.
One other problem is that they don't have much experience and knowledge with the new Outlander and Lancer because they are such new models. However, they try and I appreciate that too.
One other thing, I have received very good service from Mitsubishi Canada Customer Service. I think the customer service has been set as a priority at the corporate level.
I know it's all about public perception, but if you are educated enough, you can see past that. One other thing I appreciated during my short experience with Mitsubishi is that they are very quick to address the issues. Again, I see a great deal of attention to the customer satisfaction. If they can keep up with this attitude and make good products, they will grow, especially in the Canadian market where their image hasn’t been directly affected by the bad from the past. Yes, the perception you are talking about is there and it will take time to change for the masses.

Back to the Evo, it seems like more magazines are jumping onto the Evo vs STi competition. Here it is another one:
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGuides/Story.jsp?section=Sports&story=cc_fastAwd&subject=stories&year=New

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2008, 05:28:50 pm »
There is a whole big wolrd outside the GTA. I remember one weekend when Railton and I were deciding on a place to meet one Saturday and the only place with space available was the local Mitsu dealer  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:31:27 pm by Snowman »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2008, 06:45:36 pm »
There is a whole big wolrd outside the GTA. I remember one weekend when Railton and I were deciding on a place to meet one Saturday and the only place with space available was the local Mitsu dealer  :)
...and Snowy bought Lunch! :D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
..LINK pleeze.......!!! :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 05:36:15 pm »
...and Snowy bought Lunch! :D
Railton
Only half true, Paul Martin sprung for half  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2008, 05:00:58 pm »
 ::)so it woz an "OFF_SHORE" affair........... :rofl2:...click tha SHIP to see the Rt HORNY_ABLEs namesake............. ;)

dorin

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2008, 11:33:18 pm »
I'm saying it gives people the option to be lazy about not wanting to learn how to drive a manual  OR put up with the sometimes pain of driving a manual...which, I, personally, have associated with a "true" enthusiast car.

You're still implying that there's laziness involved with dual-clutch automated manuals.  But the "it means they have to learn how to do fewer things" argument is silly.  That's like saying that it's lazy to concentrate on learning to drive sports cars, instead of also learning to drive motorcycles.  You're focusing on perfecting a narrower skill set...but does that make you lazy?

There's a whole lot more to enthusiast driving than working a third pedal.  It is entirely possible to be a passionate driving enthusiast with shift paddles instead of a clutch pedal.  Just ask any Ferrari F430 Scuderia owner.

I refuse to believe that someone is more "lazy" than other enthusiasts because they enjoy the super-fast, super-precise gear shifts of a dual-clutch automated manual.  I refuse to believe that someone's preference for Gran-Turismo-style shift paddles over a stick to their side makes them "lazy."  There may be some people who choose dual-clutch automated manuals over traditional manuals because they're lazy, but most "lazy" people don't want a car as hard-edged as an EVO anyway.  And there are a whole bunch of reasons to choose this new flavor of transmission that have nothing to do with laziness whatsoever.

Ooh, I missed this over the holidays.  If people who drive "enthusiast" cars with automatics or auto-manuals aren't lazy then they're (willfully) ignorant.  Either way, it makes them lesser drivers.

>:D :stick:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2008, 09:43:09 pm »
With all due respect what laziness are you talking about? Or is it better to buy a porsh with a stick for a Sunday afternoon shopping tour and amuse the neighbours with gear grinding and everybody else with scheduled stop sign stalls? Is that considered enthusiasm? Many of us are enthusiasts and many like myself make 200 clicks a day, sometimes in traffic. So even though its more fun to have than a slushbox, your left knee may not share the same sentiment.
Besides all the human factors the DSG is faster in quater mile (or so) and the way it downshifts in sport mode when braking is true music to the enthused ears. I cant wait for mass marketed cars to come with DSGs.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2008, 10:21:48 pm »
With all due respect what laziness are you talking about? Or is it better to buy a porsh with a stick for a Sunday afternoon shopping tour and amuse the neighbours with gear grinding and everybody else with scheduled stop sign stalls? Is that considered enthusiasm? Many of us are enthusiasts and many like myself make 200 clicks a day, sometimes in traffic. So even though its more fun to have than a slushbox, your left knee may not share the same sentiment.
Besides all the human factors the DSG is faster in quater mile (or so) and the way it downshifts in sport mode when braking is true music to the enthused ears. I cant wait for mass marketed cars to come with DSGs.

Umm...I think it's Porsche...does this prove my point?   ;D

I travel all around the GTA...I did 215 km today in fact...in a manual transmission car...I wouldn't have it any other way, and yes, I agree it's more fun.

Blah blah blah, better performance with a DSG, blah blah blah...ya I know it performs better...I don't care.

Music?  Well...some people like to appreciate music by listening to a computer make music...others like to MAKE music by using the brake with the ball of your right foot...clutch with the left...and WHEN APPROPRIATE...blip the throttle with the right side of your right foot when on the brake...engage lower gear...you're on your way!