Author Topic: Dodge Caliber SRT-4 @ C & D  (Read 5715 times)

Mitlov

Re: Dodge Caliber SRT-4 @ C & D
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 08:45:49 pm »
It's all if you are buying in the US or Canada.

Where the test was done the Dodge and the Mazda are almost the same price.

For us there is a six grand advantage (at least) to the hopped up Chrysler product, makes a big difference.

:iagree:  In the States, the SRT4's only clear advantage over the MS3 is the better transmission feel.  In Canada, the SRT4 is priced against a well-equipped Mazda3 2.3.  And that's a whole different ball game.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 08:47:35 pm »
For sure.  But this car comes AFTER the SRT-4 Neon....yet the interior is WORSE and of lesser quality than the car it replaces....Not acceptable....(to me).....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 08:58:18 pm »
For sure.  But this car comes AFTER the SRT-4 Neon....yet the interior is WORSE and of lesser quality than the car it replaces....Not acceptable....(to me).....

I think we need a "broken record" emoticon...  :banghead:  rrocket, you've made your point.  Interiors are REALLY important to you, and the SRT4 doesn't have a good one, so you wouldn't choose the SRT4 over the MS3, C30, or WRX for yourself.  I think we've all got that by now. 

But interior plastics are not a top priority for all hot hatch buyers.  Especially not compared to factors like handling, power, transmission feel, and price.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 09:09:43 pm »
^^^^You sure I made it clear I don't like the interior?  :rofl2:

I'm sure it won't be too long that one of these show me their tailights (like a SRT-4 Neon did) at the track.  I do know they respond really, really well to more boost and NOS....(for those that like that sorta thing!)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Dodge Caliber STX @ C & D
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 10:24:15 pm »
C and D are far too subjective with their reviews and I put little weight on what they claim these days.

Yet you still subscribe?  ;)

At least C&D is entertaining to read.

Motorweek just reviewed the SRT-4 also and they pointed out the very significant torque steer all the way in 3rd gear. And that's from a TV show that somehow seems to find all cars just marvellous!  ;D

I think the Neon SRT-4 was a very pleasant surprise for some, and the Caliber SRT-4 isn't. Anyone remember the Omni GLH?

X-mass gift and I do not want to disappoint the person who thought of getting me an automotive related stocking stuffer. :)

It definitely beats a couple of pairs of socks!  :thumbup:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 11:05:27 pm »
Having been exhilarated by the mazdaspeed3 (and lulled to a bored sleep by the WRX), I wasn't too surprised to see the Mazda take the prize here.

What DID surprise me was the winner of the 5-60 mph test:  the VOLVO!  Real world useability of power is exciting to me. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:34 pm »
With that pricing in the States, who do they expect to buy the SRT-4?  Mazda builds a better car, with a nicer interior (>:D), for less money...  and it sounds as though Mazda has done a better job addressing the torque steer problem.  In Canada I would look at the SRT, but in the US I would walk right by it to the Mazda dealer...

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 06:31:45 am »

I'll bet the SRT-4 cost advantage will have all but vanished after 2-3 years of ownership in Canada considering the pitiful Chrysler resale values in our country.

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:27 pm »
With that pricing in the States, who do they expect to buy the SRT-4?  Mazda builds a better car, with a nicer interior (>:D), for less money...  and it sounds as though Mazda has done a better job addressing the torque steer problem.  In Canada I would look at the SRT, but in the US I would walk right by it to the Mazda dealer...

The MS3 has better overall suspension and nicer interior materials.  According to C&D, the SRT4 has a better transmission and less torque steer.  They also have different characters, and that's something that can't be ranked with a numerical rating.

The MS3 might outsell the SRT4, but to say that the SRT4 has nothing to offer over the MS3 isn't really true.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 01:39:24 pm »
How did Chrysler reign in the torque steer?  I'd heard that the Caliber had big problems there, even worse than the Speed3.

Mitlov

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 01:56:16 pm »
How did Chrysler reign in the torque steer?  I'd heard that the Caliber had big problems there, even worse than the Speed3.

I dunno, they grabbed life by the horns?

Lowering the car serves three purposes. First, that hunkered-down look helps separate the SRT4 from the plebeian Caliber owned by the yoga instructor who lives next door. Second, it pulls the car’s center of gravity toward the pavement. Third, and most important, it flattens the angle of the driving shafts between the differential and front wheels.

The objective of the latter is taming torque steer, the disconcerting tug to the right or left when the driver tramps on the gas. It’s still a common affliction in small front-drive cars with big horsepower, and if the SRT4 isn’t entirely cured, it’s at least in partial remission.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13918/first-drive-2008-dodge-caliber-srt4-suspension-and-brakes-page4.html

It’s called torque steer, a phenomenon that is still not uncommon in small front-drive cars with lots of power. With 285 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque, the Caliber clearly fits that description. We’re happy to report that the SRT guys have largely tamed that particular demon, at least compared with a couple other cars in this class.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/14133/full-test-2008-dodge-caliber-srt4.html

ilovecables

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:44 pm »
Yesterday's episode of Motoring 2008 did a review of the SRT4 and loved it.
After reading the whole thread and reading the C&D review, it seems that EVERYBODY is comparing it to the Neon SRT4.  What we should remember is that it ISN'T the same vehicle, nor is it supposed to replace it or succeed it, IMO.
IT clearly a different vehicle , and IMHO, should even be in the same league as the other hatches it's compared to, i.e. MS3, WRX, Volvo, etc. since it's taller and boxier, almost like a mini-minivan.

One thing I do tlike that Chrysler did, is put the tach  in the center of the gauge cluster where it belongs.  ;D

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »

The Caliber SRT-4 uses electronic traction control to limit torque to the spinning wheel.  It's too bad they got rid of the Quaife LSD from the Neon SRT-4.   I think both the old and new SRT have equal length halfshafts which limit torque steer as well.   The Speed 3 has an LSD.

Saw the review on Motoring as well and it looks like it was well liked dynamically.  That said I haven't seen that many on the roads around here.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:32 am »
Poetic justice perhaps after starting this thread that we are away for 2 weeks and rent a car (from a Company that usually rents Fords - I now know how Chrysler kept sales levels up). All they have in a Compact is a Caliber (SXT version, 2.0 L CVT). Some general feedback:

From a basic prior dislike of the Caliber, after 2 weeks I half liked it for some unexpected reasons. First of all, the number and design of the numerous inside storage areas is about the best I've seen. However my wife skinned her knuckles on rough/sharp plastic when removing something from inside one of them. Second, visibility isn't bad, especially rearward. The A pillar is too thick though, as mentioned in most road tests. Braking feel is very nice and progressive, steering feels OK too and the car feels pretty stable in all conditions.

I didn't like the CTV even after an "adjustment period" to it. Going up steep hills on highways would start at 2,300 RPM or so and end up at 3,400 RPM without fully maintaining speed, sort of a sick feeling + sound in a way. The auto shifter knob has a left-right option to simulate manual gear change, however its not gated so its possible to touch the shifter while in Drive and find yourself unexpectedly stuck in one gear, quite "inconvenient" especially when accelerating off a light with someone behind you! Finally highway mileage of around 37 MPG was the same as my 240 HP 6 speed manual Accord coupe, not impressive at all but expected because of the weight and poor aerodynamics of the Caliber.