Author Topic: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu  (Read 25779 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 04:02:14 pm »
So it ISN'T small-town courtesy to test-drive your competition's product with an open mind, but it IS small-town courtesy to go around, bashing their new product at every chance you get without ever sampling it first-hand?

:rofl:

Mitlov; this one will be a snap for ya.  :)

What does the retail car business and the American litigation industry have in common.  :think:

They're both BLOOD SPORTS.  :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2007, 04:47:27 pm »
Carcrazy were ya reading MOTOR TREND Upside down.... ::) :P...it's BETTER!!! that way... :rofl:

:rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2007, 06:11:58 pm »
So it ISN'T small-town courtesy to test-drive your competition's product with an open mind, but it IS small-town courtesy to go around, bashing their new product at every chance you get without ever sampling it first-hand?

:rofl:

Mitlov; this one will be a snap for ya.  :)

What does the retail car business and the American litigation industry have in common.  :think:

They're both BLOOD SPORTS.  :)

::)  Then maybe you should have said "I have no interest in test-driving the Malibu because I'll spew the same self-interested propaganda regardless of what I personally think of it" instead of saying "I won't test-drive the Malibu because of small-town courtesy." 

[EDIT: Before you blow another forehead artery, those are paraphrases, not verbatim quotes.]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:15:40 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:36 pm »
Artic, whazzamatter, the local GM dealer has banned you from setting foot on the lot and doing test drives now?  (don't blame 'em!)

The thing about small towns and the OS certainly qualifies, is that unlike the urban jungle we don't kick our comrades when they're down and they IS way down at the momento.  :'( :)

???

Strange small town you live in.

Owen Sound appeared to be nice town
But he sounds like a  car salesperson, they will not go and personal check out other brands, they will give them a  :thumbdown: without even driving one

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2007, 06:45:51 pm »
I'm kinda in the same boat...I REALLY like the new Malibu.  ALOT.  But I'm so gun-shy from all the problems we've had with our GM and the quality problems in general from GM that I really can't consider buying one.  Our current car has just been to costly with too many problems for us to "trust" GM with a sale again....

It sure looks like GM is trying a turn around...but until I see 3 and 5 year reliability stuides on this new crop of cars..I have to stay away...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:45 pm »

::)  Then maybe you should have said "I have no interest in test-driving the Malibu because I'll spew the same self-interested propaganda regardless of what I personally think of it" instead of saying "I won't test-drive the Malibu because of small-town courtesy." 

[EDIT: Before you blow another forehead artery, those are paraphrases, not verbatim quotes.]

Dubya and the Dickster are huge on the paraphrase thingy.  It's rubbing off on you Mitty.  :D

Mitlov

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:27 pm »
But he sounds like a  car salesperson, they will not go and personal check out other brands, they will give them a  :thumbdown: without even driving one

Neither Cord nor JSCC engage in this sort of down-with-everyone-but-my-brand trolling, in my experience with them.  I'm not sure if there are any other car salesmen on this website, but those two certainly never behave like this.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 08:25:05 pm »

Neither Cord nor JSCC engage in this sort of down-with-everyone-but-my-brand trolling, in my experience with them.  I'm not sure if there are any other car salesmen on this website, but those two certainly never behave like this.

These two gentleman are above our the typical car salemen ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »

down-with-everyone-but-my-brand trolling

Someone posts the edmond's review and I'm trolling.  :rofl:   Continue the personal attacks Mitlov, it's right up your alley.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 08:36:53 pm »

These two gentleman are above our the typical car salemen ;D

::)

Cortina

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2007, 04:26:44 pm »
Someone posts the edmond's review.

:-* Your wish is my command. How about a Comparison Test: 2007-2008 V6 Family Sedans. ;)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123842?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3.*

Honda still come out on top against the Camry,Malibu, Altima.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »

:-* Your wish is my command. How about a Comparison Test: 2007-2008 V6 Family Sedans. ;)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123842?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3.*

"Honda sales guy" is going to love that one.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 05:31:46 pm »

These two gentleman are above our the typical car salesmen ;D

Yup, get a whif of 'em - turn around and leave.... fast:o :rofl2:

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2007, 06:30:40 pm »
Do I have to make Mitlov & Artic stand in the corner???? :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2007, 07:11:15 pm »
yes. please do that Wetson.  ::)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2007, 10:10:44 pm »

Well I actually said this, "Someone posts the edmond's review and I'm trolling".  But I'm good to go on your link.  :)

Even in routine driving, the Camry's soft ride and deliberate chassis responses make it feel poorly controlled, as if it's wallowing down the road. Similarly, the Camry's steering is reasonably precise, yet it feels almost completely numb. The result is a limp driving character that seems even more pronounced in contrast to the far more engaging personalities of its rivals. The Malibu in particular demonstrates that body control and a compliant ride are not mutually exclusive.

Well what a SURPRISE !!!! That is exactly why ppl buy the XLE; to float down the road just like Buicks used to.  :D

However, what EDMONDS OMMITS to tell the twits good ppl that rely on their expertise  ::) is that for handling Toyota offers the SE whose suspension is tighter than all 3 competitors x2

Then you floor the throttle and the Camry aims to erase these impressions, flinging itself to the quarter-mile mark in 14.9 seconds at 96.4 mph, quicker and faster than any other car in this test. Its 268-hp V6 and six-speed automatic combine to deliver a sweet powertrain, with plenty of power everywhere in the rev range and a willingness to flex its muscles even during routine driving. Several times we found ourselves remarking that the Camry's chassis is almost comically overshadowed by the refined performance of this V6.

HAHAHA read that and weep have a cookie.  :)

On the OTHER HAND :D    The Malibu's six-speed automatic transmission garners some black marks from us due to its lazy part-throttle calibration, which dulls the engine's potency. Top gear is summoned at every opportunity, and the gearbox doggedly refuses to downshift in a timely fashion. This is clearly a measure to enhance fuel economy, yet it also gives the car a sluggish disposition around town despite the V6's respectably broad power band.

And GM is going to stick that tranny on it's Cobalt 4 banger.   :rofl:

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:12 pm »

Well I actually said this, "Someone posts the edmond's review and I'm trolling".  But I'm good to go on your link.  :)

Even in routine driving, the Camry's soft ride and deliberate chassis responses make it feel poorly controlled, as if it's wallowing down the road. Similarly, the Camry's steering is reasonably precise, yet it feels almost completely numb. The result is a limp driving character that seems even more pronounced in contrast to the far more engaging personalities of its rivals. The Malibu in particular demonstrates that body control and a compliant ride are not mutually exclusive.

Well what a SURPRISE !!!! That is exactly why ppl buy the XLE; to float down the road just like Buicks used to.  :D

However, what EDMONDS OMMITS to tell the twits good ppl that rely on their expertise  ::) is that for handling Toyota offers the SE whose suspension is tighter than all 3 competitors x2

Then you floor the throttle and the Camry aims to erase these impressions, flinging itself to the quarter-mile mark in 14.9 seconds at 96.4 mph, quicker and faster than any other car in this test. Its 268-hp V6 and six-speed automatic combine to deliver a sweet powertrain, with plenty of power everywhere in the rev range and a willingness to flex its muscles even during routine driving. Several times we found ourselves remarking that the Camry's chassis is almost comically overshadowed by the refined performance of this V6.

HAHAHA read that and weep have a cookie.  :)

On the OTHER HAND :D    The Malibu's six-speed automatic transmission garners some black marks from us due to its lazy part-throttle calibration, which dulls the engine's potency. Top gear is summoned at every opportunity, and the gearbox doggedly refuses to downshift in a timely fashion. This is clearly a measure to enhance fuel economy, yet it also gives the car a sluggish disposition around town despite the V6's respectably broad power band.

And GM is going to stick that tranny on it's Cobalt 4 banger.   :rofl:

artic when oh when will you stop with your stupidity? when it comes down to it they are all great cars - Malibu, Accord, Camry, Sonata.

Just because you cannot even fathom a car from GM being good doesn't make it untrue.

Just read this review just posted today from this site about the base Malibu and tell me what exactly is wrong:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mc/08malibu.htm

seems like they liked it pretty well.... and considering you haven't driven it at all SHUT UP already.

And, EDMONDS had the following to say about your 'better than the Earth it drives on Camry':

On the other hand, the Camry is just a mess. The engine is a marvel of power-to-fuel-economy ratio, but it's attached to a car completely unprepared for that much gusto. While the Altima's steering is light and communicative, the Camry's is light and clueless. The suspension clop-clops over bumpy roads, and the chassis feels just a hair more solid than linguini al dente. Plus, the interior isn't particularly impressive. Like Dancing with the Stars, I don't get why America loves the thing so much.

ha ha ha mess mess mess
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2007, 04:06:39 pm »
Dude; I just cut and pasted from the Edmond's article someone else posted.  It's what they said, not me.  :)

On the OTHER HAND     The Malibu's six-speed automatic transmission garners some black marks from us due to its lazy part-throttle calibration, which dulls the engine's potency. Top gear is summoned at every opportunity, and the gearbox doggedly refuses to downshift in a timely fashion. This is clearly a measure to enhance fuel economy, yet it also gives the car a sluggish disposition around town despite the V6's respectably broad power band.

barrie1

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:38 am »
Thats hard to believe coming from you and the BS you have been spewing for months on here. People like you give the Used Car business a very dirty Name as just about 0000 you say can't  be trusted. Even Lawyers are higher rated then what you do as you admitted that its a blood sport for used car dealers like you, why because they can lie and cheat all the clients they can. You fit the mold perfectly.  Since when did you take anything in other then a high milage used import cars. You have No knowledge of the GM products at all but still tell us all the lies you can about them. Glad I don't do any business with you and I am surprised you haven't been run out of town on a rail yet. Thats probably coming as you do a great dishonour to your town by your behavior on here as well as what you say in business by your own admissions.  :( :( ::)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2007, 01:35:36 am »
I think you've had enough for tonight.  :D