Author Topic: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu  (Read 25785 times)

Greg B.

Re: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:06 am »
Malibu does rank near the top, at the top depending what strikes your fancy. Really the competitors are no further ahead, and it was a base model I tried... will be looking out for more loaded version. Seemed the rear leg room was best or near best of all I tried. Good interior design. Getting out, the side bolster seemed like it doesn't have firm enough foam in it.

I test-drove one on Thursday. The car looks far better in person than in the pics. The exterior look really is not an issue for me. The interior looks nice also, but it is very cramped. I find it odd you thought the rear leg room was the best of the group. I found it almost unbearable back there. You were forced to jam your knees into the cubby created by the hollowed out front seat backs which made it very uncomfortable. Headroom back there was tight too. And even in front, the car seemed too narrow inside, or at least more narrow than I am used to. I liked driving the car; it was impressive how quiet the car was, even the 4-cyl version I drove, and power was more than adequate. But the lack of interior room mars it for me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2007, 11:10:34 am »
WOWSA ...2 damning reports..on a category killer....... ???...maybe the gloss is off the Brochures and Paid Car Mag bean feasts in Malibu...and elsewhere......we will wait for more before damning it with faint praise................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2007, 01:30:53 pm »
Malibu does rank near the top, at the top depending what strikes your fancy. Really the competitors are no further ahead, and it was a base model I tried... will be looking out for more loaded version. Seemed the rear leg room was best or near best of all I tried. Good interior design. Getting out, the side bolster seemed like it doesn't have firm enough foam in it.

I test-drove one on Thursday. The car looks far better in person than in the pics. The exterior look really is not an issue for me. The interior looks nice also, but it is very cramped. I find it odd you thought the rear leg room was the best of the group. I found it almost unbearable back there. You were forced to jam your knees into the cubby created by the hollowed out front seat backs which made it very uncomfortable. Headroom back there was tight too. And even in front, the car seemed too narrow inside, or at least more narrow than I am used to. I liked driving the car; it was impressive how quiet the car was, even the 4-cyl version I drove, and power was more than adequate. But the lack of interior room mars it for me.

I started out (may have posted earlier in the thread) about how I thought it felt small inside. But then I went out and sat in the front and rear of Accord, Camry, Altima and decided it was par for the segment.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2007, 01:39:18 pm »
I tho;t the new Accord was MAGNIFIED............have U put onna few LBS.... :D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 02:08:40 pm »
Also in the minus column:

The six-speed automatic transmission mated to the V-6 paused when the gas pedal was floored, then delivered the downshift.

Gear changes involving first and second gears at low speed, whether in manual or automatic mode, often delivered a violent jolt.

Chevy said it could duplicate the jolt only when shifting manually from first to second then back. Is a violent reaction acceptable under any circumstances, however unlikely?

The generally smooth four-speed automatic in the gasoline four-cylinder upshifted with such a shudder that the whole car shimmied when accelerated hard up to about 40 mph, then off the throttle as if you spied a car about to pull across your path down the block.

Windshield pillars are so fat they can block vision. The hefty rear roof pillars likewise cut rear vision.

The hybrid, which Chevy forecasts will account for 10% of Malibu sales, is what's called a mild hybrid because it mainly relies on the gasoline engine. It doesn't continuously blend the output of the engine and an electric motor as a full hybrid does.

The gasoline engine shuts off at long stops, such as traffic lights, to save fuel and reduce pollution, as full hybrids do. The gasoline engine restarts immediately and smoothly when you take your foot off the brake pedal. The electric motor will add a touch of punch at wide-open throttle. And because the electric's there to help, if needed, Chevy can shut off fuel to the gasoline engine sooner during deceleration. All supposed to add 2 mpg, but the hybrid got the same 18 mpg, give or take, as the other two engines. Meloeny says the hybrid would do better in stop-and-go driving.

The generally smooth four-speed automatic in the gasoline four-cylinder upshifted with such a shudder that the whole car shimmied when accelerated hard up to about 40 mph, then off the throttle as if you spied a car about to pull across your path down the block.

Well what does GM expect when they take the motor and tranny out of the Cobalt and stick it into a much heavier vehicle.  ::)  :bang:

This unit is just another under engineered GM .......
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 02:37:10 pm by articsteve »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 02:23:16 pm »
..Is that a TURDCHEVUCKEN????..................yer clucked Now Arctic...barries gonna DOG Ya  on this one...... :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 02:45:45 pm by safristi »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:37 pm »
Can't wait.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:16 pm »
........ :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cortina

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 03:37:27 pm »

I tend to agree.  :)

It is a good effort. I do feel that people like thick pillars. (SUV crowd) I also should point out that thick pillars are good in certain types of car crashes. I'm not sure of the choices of interior colours. maybe they have started a trend. Better than borring grey anyway, some choice of colours are just odd....pause....who knows. Hey reminds me of the 60's NA cars. :)

I think overall it is a pretty car that will sell. Most people will look past some of it as you say under engineering and learn to live with its quirks. I think GM have a contender. Not as good as Aura/Astra IMO. I Just hope for GM's sake that is doesn't break to much. :)

Mmmm I just wish they stop with the silly silver bits across back and front of  some of there cars. Whats up with that. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:39:34 pm by Cortina »

Greg B.

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2007, 03:42:06 pm »
Well what does GM expect when they take the motor and tranny out of the Cobalt and stick it into a much heavier vehicle.

Prolly the same thing Honda expects when they drop their same V-6 into everything from Accords to (ahem) "trucks".

Just so you know (not that you care), that review from USA Today has been widely considered as biased, which considering the outlandish claims made -- you missed his claim of full-throttle unintended acceleration in the hybrid, always a crowd-pleaser for the media -- isn't that big of a stretch.

FWIW, the 4-speed I drove this week had no such issues. That tranny has been used in much bigger GM cars for years now with no such issues either. But suddenly it's "under-engineered". I can only presume you're an expert on that given the Camry's notorious tranny troubles over the last few years. Has Toyota finally brought that trans up to your high standard?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »
AS did you drive one?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2007, 05:49:47 pm »

I tend to agree.  :)

It is a good effort. I do feel that people like thick pillars. (SUV crowd) I also should point out that thick pillars are good in certain types of car crashes. I'm not sure of the choices of interior colours. maybe they have started a trend. Better than borring grey anyway, some choice of colours are just odd....pause....who knows. Hey reminds me of the 60's NA cars. :)

I think overall it is a pretty car that will sell. Most people will look past some of it as you say under engineering and learn to live with its quirks. I think GM have a contender. Not as good as Aura/Astra IMO. I Just hope for GM's sake that is doesn't break to much. :)

Mmmm I just wish they stop with the silly silver bits across back and front of  some of there cars. Whats up with that. :)

Those are alot of smiley faces.  :)

Anyways, I haven't seen any of these Malibus invading our streets yet. I am looking forward to seeing one.  :)

:)

carlos_da_fig

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 07:35:41 pm »
I drove one the other day - even the LS has two toned everything.  Looks and drives fantastic.  I had driven an Aura a while back and I much prefer the Malibu.  It feels lighter somehow, and the interior is better as well.
Much more quiet then I had imagined at highway speeds. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 07:55:30 pm »
AS did you drive one?

How would I do that?  :)  I'll have to wait till one comes in on trade.  :rofl:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 08:30:24 am »
Camry vs. Accord vs. Altima vs. Malibu comparisons on Edmunds.com and Motortrend.

Edmunds.com:       
1. Accord
2. Altima
3. Malibu
4. Camry

Motor Trend:
1. Camry
2. Malibu
3. Accord
4. Altima

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 09:15:00 am »
saw one on the road over the weekend, very decent looking car :thumbup:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57:59 am »
Carcrazy were ya reading MOTOR TREND Upside down.... ::) :P...it's BETTER!!! that way... :rofl:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:30 pm »
Camry vs. Accord vs. Altima vs. Malibu comparisons on Edmunds.com and Motortrend.

Edmunds.com:       
1. Accord
2. Altima
3. Malibu
4. Camry

Motor Trend:
1. Camry
2. Malibu
3. Accord
4. Altima

.... which suggests to me that they're all very good vehicles and are very close in design and quality levels if the lists can be so easily rearranged publication by publication, no?

Artic, whazzamatter, the local GM dealer has banned you from setting foot on the lot and doing test drives now?  (don't blame 'em!)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Artic, whazzamatter, the local GM dealer has banned you from setting foot on the lot and doing test drives now?  (don't blame 'em!)

The thing about small towns and the OS certainly qualifies, is that unlike the urban jungle we don't kick our comrades when they're down and they IS way down at the momento.  :'( :)

Mitlov

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2007, 03:56:19 pm »

The thing about small towns and the OS certainly qualifies, is that unlike the urban jungle we don't kick our comrades when they're down and they IS way down at the momento.  :'( :)

So it ISN'T small-town courtesy to test-drive your competition's product with an open mind, but it IS small-town courtesy to go around, bashing their new product at every chance you get without ever sampling it first-hand?

???

Strange small town you live in.