Author Topic: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu  (Read 25774 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:58 am »
 :'( :'( Aw just anuffer wee wan fer the ROAD.................... :stick: :banana: :cheers: >:D :drive2: :drive2: :drive2:...this is the PUNCH & JUDY SHOW...NO !!!!!

Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2007, 11:47:35 pm »
As you have the pics of the bottles it must be yours totally just like the BS you spew on here. Its all yours for sure. I feel sorry for your customers and people who live around you having to put up with all of your nonsence. I doubt any of the repetible dealers in your town have much respect for you especially if they know how you sell your junk off your lot. I am sure they would love to see you closed down for good.  :(

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:26 am »
 ::)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2007, 07:04:52 am »
 :-[....GOLDFINGER...U2 are MASTER  deBAITERS....................and cute too.... :rofl2:  I'm hooked............on CRONICS

Leviathan

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2007, 01:37:33 pm »
Girls gone fishin'  :o

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:44 pm »
Even Lawyers are higher rated then what you do

ouch!  :o  Barrie, your going to give poor Mitlov a complex...  :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2007, 01:49:28 pm »
Even Lawyers are higher rated then what you do

ouch!  :o  Barrie, your going to give poor Mitlov a complex...  :rofl2:

Naw, bloodsucking is an ancient and distinguished profession, and I have no shame :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2007, 02:09:25 pm »
That was one hell of a bad movie.

barrie1

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:21 am »
Well at least I do know there are some very good and decent lawyers unlike the used car profession. I am sure Mitlov falls into that categaory for sure. Haven't met a Used Car Flunkey yet that does.  :)

accordingly

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »
 :sleep:

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:39 pm »
Go stand in the corner!!!!!  :P

On another note.  I finally got into a Chevy dealer to look at the new Malibu.  It is a beautiful looking car.  I sat in it and the gauges are well laid out and the colouring is really funky and cool.  The seat was exceptionally comfortable and the driving position as well.  Everything was in easy reach and had a solid feel ..... EXCEPT.... the plastics once again are a let down.  I went to push a button on the radio and the whole face of it is flexible and the plastic pushes in and bends under pressure.  The ebony and brick finish are also not a great combination with the cheap plastics.  The brick coloured plastic looked absolutely terrible.  Looks great in photos but in real it looks really cheap.  I was actually afraid to push anything too hard for fear of breaking it. 

The doors had a nice thud when closed and one can tell a lot of thought and effort went into this vehicle.  The trunk is very deep with scissor (sp.?) hinges.  The opening is rather small though. 

There were are many nice finishing touches on this car and attention to detail is evident.  I think the only things I would change on it are better quality interior plastics and a larger trunk opening.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 07:28:27 pm »
Another Malibu/Accord/Camry comparison test from Edmunds, this time they brought in a bunch of regular people to try the cars out and report back:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/123972/article.html

Greg B.

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:57 pm »
Another Malibu/Accord/Camry comparison test from Edmunds, this time they brought in a bunch of regular people to try the cars out and report back:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/123972/article.html

Ole articsteve won't be happy reading that...  :o

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:59 pm »
Not a comment about the cars in comparison themselves, but rather the kind of comparison test this was.

I found that kind of review surprisingly interesting. It brought out different buying reactions from a wide variety of people. I like how they spent time qualifying people to do this, and picked a decent cross section of the population. So unlike where normally I would start dozing off when a reviewer talks about 1.342 more inches of rear seat legroom than the other car, there was always a new and sometimes unexpected outlook on something to read about.

Maybe an angle for CD to explore? I'm sure there would be enough willing reviewers here...... 

Mitlov

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2007, 09:35:45 pm »
I really wish some of these reviews included the Mercury Milan (or Ford Fusion) as well.

I think that 20-somethings with no or young families will love the Malibu. It's relatively sporty, sexy, fun to drive and very well equipped.

A quote none of us would have believed two years ago...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:37:33 pm by Mitlov »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2008, 03:21:45 pm »
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/AUTO01/801030321/1148

Too many buyers for Malibu

Dealers struggle to get new GM product on the lot, worry about how long buyers will be willing to wait.

Sharon Terlep / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. has finally built a family sedan Americans crave, yet dealers across the country are having a hard time getting the cars on their lots.

It likely will be spring before GM is able to build enough of the new Chevrolet Malibus to meet demand, the automaker's sales chief said Wednesday. Meanwhile, thousands of dealers are without a made-over Malibu on their lots.

GM says the shortage is a good problem to have -- and several automotive analysts agree.

But the automaker is walking a fine line in the utilitarian and highly competitive midsize sedan segment, in which consumers have scores of options and limited patience.

The new Malibus "are turning faster and more prolifically than we anticipated. They're selling well in Southern California. They're selling well in Flint," Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing, said Wednesday. "We don't have anywhere near the availability we'd need for peak (sales) performance."

GM last month ramped up Malibu production. The cars are built at GM's Orion factory, as well as at the Fairfax plant in Kansas City, Kan., where the last generation Malibu was built.

LaNeve said GM anticipated big demand for the new Malibu, but not to the extent the automaker has seen since the car hit showrooms Nov. 1.

GM sold about 7,000 Malibus in November, roughly the same number as last year. December sales are expected to be higher now that more dealers have the cars in supply.

Analysts say it will likely take several months to truly gauge Malibu's success.

The Malibu's dramatic overhaul has been a hit with auto critics, and consumers appear to be responding. GM is looking to Malibu to steal customers from the top-selling Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

"I have three on the lot right now, and if I had 20 I'd be happy," said Guy Drose, sales manager of Raymond Chevrolet in Antioch, Ill. "People are asking for options on the vehicles that we don't have on the lot at the moment.

"Hopefully, they'll see the value in the car and wait."

Competing with Accord and Camry
Like in many industries, having a car that's hard to get can help generate buzz and push up the selling price -- because dealers don't need incentives to draw in customers.

GM has intentionally limited the supply of its high-end Buick Enclave crossover SUV, introduced last year, and the strategy appears to be working.

But the Malibu is far from a niche or luxury car.

The midsize car segment is the biggest and most crowded in the U.S. vehicle segment, with sales topping 3.2 million through November. Honda rolled out a sporty new Accord last year and Toyota's recently refreshed Camry has done well.

"You walk a fine line between not having product in the showrooms to sell and wanting that product to be one of those where people are saying, 'Hey, how did you get your Malibu?' " Rebecca Lindland, an industry analyst with Global Insight in Lexington, Mass. "For a really long time, that has been the least of GM's problems.

"But you can't test their patience for too long."

Ideally, a new vehicle should be in full supply just as the introductory ad blitz is under way, which in the case of the Malibu is right now, said Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jesse Toprak.

"If they don't have the inventory that's going to be necessary to meet demand, that may cause some lost sales," Toprak said.

As long as GM manages to bring supply in line with demand within the next few months, he said, the automaker should do well.

"If the distribution timeline stretches beyond that," he said, "there could be problems."
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

barrie1

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:49 am »
Its with vehicles like this that GM will stay as the worlds largest vehicle maufacturer and especially with the ratings its receiving as well. Defintely a nice car with a long warranty as well. The next closet Builder will have to go a long ways to beat this product in all areas of performance and will no doubt need considerable time in order to do it as well. GM has made a Quantum leap for sure.  :) ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2008, 01:15:44 am »
Its with vehicles like this that GM will stay as the worlds largest vehicle maufacturer

Sorry dude.  Toyota passed them.  Best to keep your head out of that LONDON FOG.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2008, 01:20:19 am »
Yep..the figures come out shortly (or have they already?) and it's expected that Toyota will surpass GM this time around...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...