Author Topic: Canadians: Stop buying cars!!  (Read 32296 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Canadians: Stop buying cars!!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 01:24:44 pm »
I think this is a great idea. Compressing yearly sales into 10 months rather than 12 will give dealership sales staff a nice 2 month holiday. Just like teachers. :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 01:50:03 pm »
Is this the same as that awesome idea about not buying gas when the price is too high so gas stations would be forced to lower it or go out of business?   :rofl:

I like AVToller's suggestion, if we have a signed petition on a web site, manufacturer's would  be forced to listen then!
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 02:09:50 pm »
No, the thing is to NOT delay buying a new car, but to NOT DO IT AT ALL.  Go buy your new car in the US or buy a used car from a private seller.

avtoller

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 02:55:21 pm »
Is this the same as that awesome idea about not buying gas when the price is too high so gas stations would be forced to lower it or go out of business?   :rofl:

I like AVToller's suggestion, if we have a signed petition on a web site, manufacturer's would  be forced to listen then!

Hey, that wasn't MY suggestion, I was just quoting the damn fool idea!  >:( >:( ;)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 02:58:30 pm »
Well I better tell my dad's co worker to buy that 08' Tribeca quickly in the states, before Subaru does the same thing.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 03:50:22 pm »
In one of the papers this week a Calgary columnist mentioned taking a trip south to look at trailers that ended up with buying one:

....We bought a travel trailer...The North Idaho dealer at Saigle, Idaho wanted 16,999, while the Calgary dealer had it listed at 23,600........I should point out that if we had ordered a 2008 trailer from the Calgary dealer (with delivery in March) it would have been the same price as a 2008 model from the Idaho dealer.

So things are changing, I think it's just a question of how long it will take before prices equalize.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »

Hey, that wasn't MY suggestion, I was just quoting the damn fool idea!  >:( >:( ;)

I read somewhere that GM considers vehicles shipped to dealer lots as SOLD already, so this won't make any difference for them.

Rowboat

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 05:40:58 pm »
I also tried to buy a new gmc truck in US  App. $10000 cheaper. I will not buy in Canada until we see some changes >:( >:( >:(

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:20 pm »
I also tried to buy a new gmc truck in US  App. $10000 cheaper. I will not buy in Canada until we see some changes >:( >:( >:(

What do you mean tried? What happened?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 06:07:19 pm »
In one of the papers this week a Calgary columnist mentioned taking a trip south to look at trailers that ended up with buying one:

....We bought a travel trailer...The North Idaho dealer at Saigle, Idaho wanted 16,999, while the Calgary dealer had it listed at 23,600........I should point out that if we had ordered a 2008 trailer from the Calgary dealer (with delivery in March) it would have been the same price as a 2008 model from the Idaho dealer.

So things are changing, I think it's just a question of how long it will take before prices equalize.

Don't forget that the dealer's COST on the existing one might be higher than the US price of $17K (if he is trying to sell an older unit from inventory). That is why new ones to order could be closer to US pricing. Depends where the trailers were made.

"Prices equalize" - will never happen, prices in the US and Canada will never be the same as there are 10 times the population in the US, less regulation, and a more competitive market. Prices in Canada have room to move down perhaps, but will never "equalize" IMO.

We paid more for stuff in Canada even when the Cdn dollar was at a premium to the US dollar back in the 50s and early 60s. 
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:14 pm »

I was agreeing with what I thought was your sarcasm!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 07:43:27 pm »

Don't forget that the dealer's COST on the existing one might be higher than the US price of $17K (if he is trying to sell an older unit from inventory). That is why new ones to order could be closer to US pricing. Depends where the trailers were made.

"Prices equalize" - will never happen, prices in the US and Canada will never be the same as there are 10 times the population in the US, less regulation, and a more competitive market. Prices in Canada have room to move down perhaps, but will never "equalize" IMO.

We paid more for stuff in Canada even when the Cdn dollar was at a premium to the US dollar back in the 50s and early 60s. 

Exactly, I don’t understand why people don’t get this, are they that stupid?

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 08:02:03 pm »
Exactly, I don’t understand why people don’t get this, are they that stupid?

People like to be upset (or OUTRAGED) about something. Flavour of the day is car prices cdn vs us.

avtoller

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 09:02:54 pm »

I was agreeing with what I thought was your sarcasm!

What me, sarcastic? I never heard the like.  ;) ;) ;D  OK then.  :-*

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 09:06:19 pm »
No, the thing is to NOT delay buying a new car, but to NOT DO IT AT ALL.  Go buy your new car in the US or buy a used car from a private seller.

X2

If you could even do this (which is esentially impossible) it wouldn't motivate manufacturers to do anything. Who cares if you had a temporary 1 or 2 month delay in sales you'd get later. Its not sustainable.

Only way ANYTHING happens is if dealers lose sales continually to the US. Even then the reaction is likley as it has been...for them to prevent sales of US cars to Canadians .

if you are truly against the price discrepancy I'd suggest you buy a new car from the US ASAP before they shut it down .

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:23 am »

He didn't say 'the 08 trailer in Calgary would drop a couple thousand' he said 'it would have been the same price as the one in Idaho.

Same price means same price. That trailer is worth as much as many cars are, and is sold at a dealer, just the same. A car is just another consumer good.

How much equalization happens eventually no one knows, it's all opinion. But it's not the 50's anymore, we have access to information and ability to travel they could only dream of back then.

I'd suspect for European stuff part is going to be US prices going up as their makers run out of US dollar hedges or whatever they have been using to soften the blow of the greenback going down.

Toyota and Honda seem to have less price elasticity in Canada than in the States, maybe due to less car nationalism here. So they may not get too excited about equalizing prices. The weaker makers may make things much closer (like Chrysler is now) if not equal.

intls

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 03:35:32 am »
SOMEONE SHOULD CREATE A WEB SITE W/. EVERY CANADAIAN TO SIGN FOR REDUCE THE CAR PRICES!

And that will happen just after every Canadian votes for the same political party.  ;) :rofl2: :rofl:  And right after every Canadian learns to write grammatically.

GO SET UP ANOTHER "ENGLISH TEACHER" TREAD, IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE GRAMMA. DO NOT WASTE THE TIME HERE FOR "STOP BUYING CARS TREADS. MR. PROFESSOR

canadacraig

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 07:39:01 am »

Hi ovr50!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I agree with you and I - for one - NEVER expect Canadian and U.S. car price to 'equalize'. But there is a LOT of room to move down. As I said in my 'Canada vs US' car prices message thread.... "What I'm suggesting is that there is no justification for WHY cars cost so much more in Canada than they do in the U.S. and that the Canadian MSRP's should be lowered. A couple thousand dollars more - here - in Canada - for the same car you could buy in the U.S.? Sure - I have no problem with that. But thousands and thousands of dollars more - sometimes TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars more? That's just ridiculous."

Craig!! :)

Rowboat

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:05 am »
I will not buy Canadian $10000 difference in a GMC pick-up  33 Here ,,23 in US.       Build it on GMC web-site.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:33 am »

Hi ovr50!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I agree with you and I - for one - NEVER expect Canadian and U.S. car price to 'equalize'. But there is a LOT of room to move down. As I said in my 'Canada vs US' car prices message thread.... "What I'm suggesting is that there is no justification for WHY cars cost so much more in Canada than they do in the U.S. and that the Canadian Msrp should be lowered. A couple thousand dollars more - here - in Canada - for the same car you could buy in the U.S.? Sure - I have no problem with that. But thousands and thousands of dollars more - sometimes TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars more? That's just ridiculous."

Craig!! :)

What "justification" do they need?

They are in business to make $. They charge as much as the market will bear. As long as manufacturers are not colluding with each other within Canada to set prices they can set prices wherever they want.