Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible  (Read 12188 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 04:25:59 pm »
How much is a new 3 series convertible? Similar price right? I'd rather get one of those.  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 04:48:31 pm »
Well, maybe so, but if I had that kind of money to spend on a car  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, I would be inclined to go for a Japanese brand like Lexus or Infinity for the very reason that I would expect better-than-average reliability for my money. Last time I checked, equivalent models from these manufacturers have the same if not more features than the C70.

Lexus SC430 = $93,250
Infiniti = No car available

mdxtasy

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 05:10:12 pm »
Well, maybe so, but if I had that kind of money to spend on a car  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, I would be inclined to go for a Japanese brand like Lexus or Infinity for the very reason that I would expect better-than-average reliability for my money. Last time I checked, equivalent models from these manufacturers have the same if not more features than the C70.

Which 60K Lexus or Infiniti has a folding convertible hardtop?

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 05:48:49 pm »
Well, maybe so, but if I had that kind of money to spend on a car  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, I would be inclined to go for a Japanese brand like Lexus or Infinity for the very reason that I would expect better-than-average reliability for my money. Last time I checked, equivalent models from these manufacturers have the same if not more features than the C70.

Which 60K Lexus or Infiniti has a folding convertible hardtop?

Not to mention seating for four, which the (vastly more expensive) SC430 offers only on paper.

mdxtasy

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 05:55:23 pm »
Not only that, but doesn't spending $60,000 on a Volvo C70 entitle you to expect more reliability (or anything for that matter) than spending, say, $18,000 on a Nissan Versa? I dunno, I just thought I'd ask.... ;D

No.  Reliability never increases as prices do.  A four-banger Accord is more reliable than an Acura RL, if I recall correctly.  Greater prices mean more mechanical complexity and greater drivetrain stresses, which in turn mean less reliability.  The really reliable cars out there are very often econoboxes.  Corollas, Yarises, those sorts of things.  Your example of the Versais a great example.  Does a Versa have a folding hardtop that could break?  Is it turbocharged?  Does it have heated power seats?  All of these extras that make the C70 a nicer driving experience than a Versa are also potential reliability trouble spots.

Well said.  Often times, you see the expensive cars on the bleeding edge of technological advancements.  It's the early adapters who put the latest and greatest into their cars for those who have money to enjoy and be the first to have. 

avtoller

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 06:15:53 pm »
PS - Years ago, my brother-in-law had a turbocharged Chrysler (I don't remember the model, but it was expensive) with power heated seats and all the options including a power sunroof, and had very few problems with it. Around the same time his Dad had a Horizon with no options at all and it broke so often I was afraid to drive it. Go figure.

Small sample sizes "prove" very little, if anything. That is why CR has its uses.  ;) ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 07:29:45 pm »
Not only that, but doesn't spending $60,000 on a Volvo C70 entitle you to expect more reliability (or anything for that matter) than spending, say, $18,000 on a Nissan Versa? I dunno, I just thought I'd ask.... ;D

No.  Reliability never increases as prices do.  A four-banger Accord is more reliable than an Acura RL, if I recall correctly.  Greater prices mean more mechanical complexity and greater drivetrain stresses, which in turn mean less reliability.  The really reliable cars out there are very often econoboxes.  Corollas, Yarises, those sorts of things.  Your example of the Versais a great example.  Does a Versa have a folding hardtop that could break?  Is it turbocharged?  Does it have heated power seats?  All of these extras that make the C70 a nicer driving experience than a Versa are also potential reliability trouble spots.

Well said.  Often times, you see the expensive cars on the bleeding edge of technological advancements.  It's the early adapters who put the latest and greatest into their cars for those who have money to enjoy and be the first to have. 

"Don't buy a car loaded up with fancy gadgets. They're only something more to break".

I've heard that a lot over the years and in some ways it's true. The amount and complexity of equipment on a car often influences the number of repairs and sometimes results in a lower reliability score from someone like J D Powers or CR.

Of course if we all followed that advice we'd all be driving 3 speeds with rollup windows and AM radio ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

mdxtasy

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 08:43:04 pm »
Reliability isn't always on the top of my wish list.....sometimes you just have to live a little....and vanilla isn't the only flavour at Baskin Robbins.

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 09:07:01 pm »
Reliability isn't always on the top of my wish list.....sometimes you just have to live a little....and vanilla isn't the only flavour at Baskin Robbins.

Quoted for truth.

terry0703

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 10:58:45 pm »
How much is a new 3 series convertible? Similar price right? I'd rather get one of those.  :)

:iagree: That's what I thought right when I checked the price tag.
328 Cab = $56600.
Nice looking Volvo, though.