Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L  (Read 34442 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2007, 06:56:20 pm »

I see your point about the comparison. Well, the 4Runner can be compared to...the Kia Sorento, Jeep Grand Cherokee...Not much anymore in terms of midsize truck based SUV's. I'd choose the 4Runner those any day.  :)

I agree and it will make a replacement for my Pathfinder rather tough.

We have friends who have the Pilot, they love it.  But I agree with others, if space and people friendly is a key, go with a van.  The Sienna is available with AWD, even in the base trim, if that is a requirement.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2007, 07:02:29 pm »

I see your point about the comparison. Well, the 4Runner can be compared to...the Kia Sorento, Jeep Grand Cherokee...Not much anymore in terms of midsize truck based SUV's. I'd choose the 4Runner those any day.  :)

We have friends who have the Pilot, they love it.  But I agree with others, if space and people friendly is a key, go with a van.  The Sienna is available with AWD, even in the base trim, if that is a requirement.

I'm finding myself in a similar position. The more I look the more I'm beginning to think perhaps I really don't care for the new crossovers. I'd really like to find a 08 version of my 03 Pathfinder (but NOT the 05 redesign Path!). In terms of a well built reliable vehicle I guess the 4Runner may be about it.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2007, 07:22:21 pm »

I think the 4Runner is due to change next year. It will be assembled in Mexico (instead of Japan if I'm not mistaken).

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2007, 07:38:04 pm »

I think the 4Runner is due to change next year. It will be assembled in Mexico (instead of Japan if I'm not mistaken).

If that is correct :thumbdown:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 08:14:06 pm »

I'm finding myself in a similar position. The more I look the more I'm beginning to think perhaps I really don't care for the new crossovers. I'd really like to find a 08 version of my 03 Pathfinder (but NOT the 05 redesign Path!). In terms of a well built reliable vehicle I guess the 4Runner may be about it.

I think mine will be the XTerra, it is the "new" Pathfinder (same length/wheelbase as the R50 style and better fuel consumption from what I hear) although I will really miss the AllMode transfer case, in which case the current Pathy may be an option. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2007, 08:24:30 pm »

??? Where did you hear that?  :-\

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2007, 05:58:37 am »

??? Where did you hear that?  :-\

I don't have any information on this but it "seems" a little unlikely. If past history is any thing to go by most manufacturers have used Mexican production for pretty basic entry level vehicles.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2007, 07:16:58 am »
The one big complaint with the 4Runner has been the amount of 'Governannies" - too much control taken away from the driver and given to those 'black boxes' that mean intervention. Hill descent etc. make the driver less part of the experience with no control over the outcome.

I think ther new Highlander has the same genetic makeup although early reports have not been as critical. As far as Mexican production -  Toyota is building a new plant there although they are usually big volume ones and that may mean no 4Runners.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2007, 03:53:49 pm »
The one big complaint with the 4Runner has been the amount of 'Governannies" - too much control taken away from the driver and given to those 'black boxes' that mean intervention. Hill descent etc. make the driver less part of the experience with no control over the outcome.

I think you can turn those off, like you can with Stability control and traction control.

spud72

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 10:19:58 am »

The 4Runner was originally slated for an 09 makeover, but the few spyshots that have been taken point more to it going to a 10 model year, along with the new Landcruiser Prado.

I doubt anyone knows for sure on this forum, but it is unlikely it will be made in Mexico. The numbers of it probably wouldn't make much sense. More likely, they'll continue to make it along side the Prados and Lexus GX470 (they are all basically the same vehicle) in the Tahara plant.
Well, to be fair they are largely safety features for the unexperienced driver, just like ABS and traction control. It is expected nowdays in premium a 4x4. Even some regular pickups are starting to have the same features.

You can not turn off traction control or ABS (well, short of pulling a fuse). You can turn off everything else at the push of a button.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:27:27 am by spud72 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 10:56:19 am »

I think mine will be the XTerra, it is the "new" Pathfinder (same length/wheelbase as the R50 style and better fuel consumption from what I hear) although I will really miss the AllMode transfer case, in which case the current Pathy may be an option. 

I prefer the new Pathfinder to the old one, it shows how subjective styling is. I found the older pathfinders kinda "weak" and urban looking. The new one is boxy but looks tougher. Whether or not it is who knows. All I do know is the the V8 LE with skidplates would make a spunky, luxurious back road cruiser. I found it way more comfortable than the 4Runner.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2007, 11:13:24 am »

I prefer the new Pathfinder to the old one, it shows how subjective styling is. I found the older pathfinders kinda "weak" and urban looking. The new one is boxy but looks tougher. Whether or not it is who knows. All I do know is the the V8 LE with skidplates would make a spunky, luxurious back road cruiser. I found it way more comfortable than the 4Runner.

I have warmed quite a bit to the new Pathfinder's design. I find it tough, trucky, and attractive without being gimmicky or overstyled. Nice boxy space.

Personally I don't see much to like about the 4Runner and don't know who they're selling them to. Well, sales numbers are lagging so I guess not that many people anymore. It has high step-in with the low seats once inside, a cheap feeling interior IMO (those HVAC knobs are spacey looking plastic), which also lacks width and interior height. It's also fairly expensive. Sure it's pretty tough, but few really need it. An XTerra or Pathfinder or something would do the trick much better IMO.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:19:11 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

spud72

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2007, 12:15:32 pm »
Personally I don't see much to like about the 4Runner and don't know who they're selling them to. Well, sales numbers are lagging so I guess not that many people anymore. It has high step-in with the low seats once inside, a cheap feeling interior IMO (those HVAC knobs are spacey looking plastic), which also lacks width and interior height. It's also fairly expensive. Sure it's pretty tough, but few really need it. An XTerra or Pathfinder or something would do the trick much better IMO. [/color]
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but "cheap feeling interior" on a 4Runner is a first I've ever heard of. I seriously considered a Pathfinder this spring, but compared to a 4Runner the plastics and quality of build was like comparing a BMW to a 80s Honda civic. Hard, light feeling plastic was just everywhere on the Nissan. The plastic that was on the 4Runner was seemingly of very high quality, nice texture and soft. Even the fabric on the seats screamed quality (if you chose not to go with leather). The road noise was not high on either, but it was almost non existent on the Toyota.

The virtually unmatched reliability ratings and resale clinched the deal.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2007, 07:11:49 pm »

I agree with SirA assessment of the 4runner except for the interior quality feel. Though I'm not a big fan of the HVAC or the radio head, I thought the interior design, especially material utilized, was superior to the Nissan Pathfinder. It was high on my list when I was still shopping for a SUV but the exterior design, cramped interior (FJ has better rear seats!) and high price ruled it out. Still today have to buy the Limited if you want side/curtain air bags. Toyota:  :nono:

Spud, resale value of the 4runner was actually not so great in Canada, and horrible in the USA. The toyota dealer would not order one for stock or demo because of poor (inexistent really) sales and wanted me to order one without test driving one. Now that I think about it, this is one vehicle worth shopping south of the border (MSRP about $12K less, real market price probably at least $16K less than here...). US Dealers were selling way under MSRP a year ago.

Pathfinder's revised interior and V8 engine availability (I really wanted a V8) would definitely worth having a second look at the Nissan IMO.

spud72

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2007, 04:32:50 pm »
Still today have to buy the Limited if you want side/curtain air bags. Toyota:  :nono:
Actually, that is incorrect. As I mentioned earlier even the base model SR5 now comes with side airbags.
(FJ has better rear seats!)
I respectfully disagree and I am not quite sure as to how you could come up with that conclusion.
Spud, resale value of the 4runner was actually not so great in Canada, and horrible in the USA.
Well, once again I respectfully disagree. 3 year old 4Runners routinely sell for less than $10K off the price of a brand new one. A quick search on autotrader, while not gospel, give a very good idea for market price. That's still only "about" a 20% hit after a couple years which is an anomaly in SUVs even compared to the fine Pathfinder. Of course there will be some exceptions, but on average the 4Runner will trounce any comparable SUV in resale.

American pricing in general is far less than Canada. There is a huge cost savings new by more than $10K. Used pricing is obviously also adjusted accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there are some fine vehicles out there and Nissan makes a good one too.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2007, 04:39:30 pm »
I will conceed the 4Runner feels durable (still don't like the interior) and solid inside and out, plus does get exceptional reliability ratings.

I've been in the newest Pathfinder... don't recall the interior prior to current model year.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:18 pm »
Spud, no problem, of course we are all entitled to our opinion!  :)

According to Toyota Canada website, side/curtain airbags are not available on the SR5, not even as an option
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/11/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.4Runner-JfAtoSXFMmfreqon4Y30qM/7.15?v122035e%2ehtml
S = Standard  O = Option  - = Not Available
                                                                                                                        SR5 V6   LIMITED V6   LIMITED V8
SAFETY
Dual Stage Driver & Passenger Airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)                         S            S                 S
Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags, Roll-Sensing Front and Rear Head / Side Curtain Airbag       -            S                 S

I was actually on the market to buy a SUV and did quite some shopping/research. Yes the 4Runner used to have a very good resale value and the older models (4-5+ year old) still did. The newer models weren't so good. Unless of course you use Don Valley Toyota as your reference  ;)  One dealer was offering me a new Limited V8 $6K under the MSRP.

The black book is indicative of the expected value for a trade-in. A 2006 4Runner Limited with 20K kms goes between $27,800 and $29,500. The MSRP in 2006 was $52,500. A Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi  had a lower MSRP (about $4k less) and goes between $26,000 and $27,900. Not much difference as far as depreciation goes. And Grand Cherokees don't have a good reputation for resale value.

SirA described very well the 4Runner cramped interior. The floor is so darn high and you can't squeeze your feet under the front seats. The rear seat comfort is even considerably worse than in the Grand Cherokee. Try back to back the FJ and 4Runner rear seats; you'll be very surprised. Looks can be very deceiving...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:03 am »
It is surprising that toyota didn't address some of the 4Runner's shortcomings. The Lexus GX470 I drove took care of some of them (low seat height and improved headroom) but still had some of the others: Weird tailgate (does the Runner have this?), and lack of rear seat room. The sunvisors were right out of a 70's Chevy weird smooth fuzzy stuff I call mouse fur. Really downmarket. ???