Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L  (Read 34443 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:51:26 pm »
Day 1:

2008 Honda Pilot SE-L
Click Image to Enlarge
For 2008 Honda is offering the Pilot mid-size SUV in SE trim, which replaces the EX model.  This is the subject of this week's review: the 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L (L for leather).  Honda Special Edition (SE) packaged models typically offer good value for the money and the Pilot SE is no different.More ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Honda Pilot SE-L
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:32:27 am »
When I tested the Pilot when it came out, it felt heavy and very soft to me. Not a fan. The Odyssey is a much better choice, if fake "AWD" is not needed.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:32 am »
OK....I'll be the first to say it....With the US top of the  line EX-L listing at around 33,500 frt in I question whether or not 45,500 represents "good value" as you say. :thumbdown:

As far as discussion on the vehicle goes I have to agree that the Pilot felt pretty "vanlike" when I test drove one. I also think the design is starting to look quite dated.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:01:14 am »
It would be interesting and informative if in each CTC review the list price of the closest comparable US model was given as well as the CDN price.

The only problem I could foresee is that I suspect vehicles from the presspool would mysteriously become "unavailable" to CTC writers ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:42:26 am »
It provides value for Canadians in the Canadian Market, we are not in the business for the US, otherwise this would be called cartalknorthamerica

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:17:50 am »
" It provides value for Canadians in the Canadian Market, we are not in the business for the US, otherwise this would be called cartalknorthamerica "

wing, you are technically quite correct and furthermore you did make a good comparison in the Day 1 writeup against another Canadian competitor. However THE hottest current topic in the Canadian car market is which manufacturers are, and are not, responding to the exchange rate with their pricing.

Its true we could ignore the topic and blissfully be unaware, thereby never sending a message to Manufacturers via lower sales. Manufacturers who are gouging would just love that. I agree with sailor723.   

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:18:09 am »
It provides value for Canadians in the Canadian Market, we are not in the business for the US, otherwise this would be called cartalknorthamerica

No :censor:.  Keep the data relevant to the Canadian market.  :thumbup:  There's already an entire section devoted to Canadian vs US car pricing....keep it it in there......sheesh.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 09:27:02 am »

No :censor:.  Keep the data relevant to the Canadian market.  :thumbup:  There's already an entire section devoted to Canadian vs US car pricing....keep it it in there......sheesh.

:thumbup:

No kidding!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:45:38 am »

No kidding!

:iagree: This a car (truck) review not a world pricing review.

mdxtasy

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:50:40 am »

No kidding!

Maybe we can compare vehicle prices to Japan?  Hong Kong?  Malaysia?  European countries too? 

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:32 am »
I know it's not a major change, but the newer lines are much better than the old.  If and when we move up to a larger family vehicle, the Pilot will be on the radar. (knee slap)

Sailor723, Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform. 

mdxtasy

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 10:34:39 am »
Sailor723, Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform. 

:fiver: :thumbup::fiver: :thumbup::fiver: :thumbup::fiver: :thumbup::fiver: :thumbup:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:43:52 am »
OK....I'll be the first to say it....With the US top of the  line EX-L listing at around 33,500 frt in I question whether or not 45,500 represents "good value" as you say. :thumbdown:

As far as discussion on the vehicle goes I have to agree that the Pilot felt pretty "vanlike" when I test drove one. I also think the design is starting to look quite dated.

Value is a personal thing. Wing's job is to judge the car against its peers. Everyone decides for themselves if it is "worth it."
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 11:00:49 am »
I know it's not a major change, but the newer lines are much better than the old. 

I agree.  Some trim levels of previous years' Pilots have looked rather wimpy, for lack of a better term.  The Pilot being tested looks great in that colour, and the bodywork tweaks and tire/rim package make this model seem rather broad shouldered and rugged.

I'm curious how access to the 3rd row compares with the Odyssey.  I will assume it is more difficult given the higher step-in height, and lack of a sliding door.

mdxtasy

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:02 am »

I'm curious how access to the 3rd row compares with the Odyssey.  I will assume it is more difficult given the higher step-in height, and lack of a sliding door.

Access to the third row in the MDX was brutal.  The 2nd row slides forward to give a crack to slide through....but the Ody's larger door, more convenient 2nd row versatility (slides inwards to provide even more room), and sliding 2nd row makes it a snap. 

avtoller

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:29 am »

No kidding!

Maybe we can compare vehicle prices to Japan?  Hong Kong?  Malaysia?  European countries too? 

:iagree: :fiver:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:11 am »
WOW....I seem to have stirred the pot a little here ;D

I'll stand buy my comment though. Japan,Hong Kong, Malaysia etc are not a hour or two away for Canadians the way the US is. I think it's perfectly fair to consider all the reasonable and viable options available when deciding if a vehicle represents "good value". A 45,000 Honda Pilot does not represent good value in today's market! (The market that allows you to drive an hour or two and for a $206 fee bring back just about any vehicle you choose)

mdxtasy

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:07 am »

Right...the one trick pony gets old real quick.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:37:47 am »

Right...the one trick pony gets old real quick.....

Jeeese MD...lighten up already...being that touchy can't be good for you. If the subject of value and pricing in the Canadian market bothers you that much ignore posts that discuss it. It was a valid comment in light of the fact that the "good value" thing was a major part of the reviewer's day 1 comment and car pricing is a major mainstream topic these days. (and you'll note I also made a couple  comments on the qualities of the vehicle itself....you may not agree but the comments weren't unreasonable)

I still think it's a little dated in terms of styling and is a little soft in terms of ride. Plus I've never really had a good feeling in either of the local Honda stores....sort of "we're special and we'd be doing you a favour by selling you one of these great cars"

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:47:38 am »
Yes, you're a rebel.

I'll stand buy my comment though....
These comments?

It would be interesting and informative if in each CTC review the list price of the closest comparable US model was given as well as the CDN price.

The only problem I could foresee is that I suspect vehicles from the presspool would mysteriously become "unavailable" to CTC writers ;D

The vehicle is on sale in Canada for the price listed.  If someone wants to go to the U.S. to pick one up, more power to them.  We don't need James or any other auto journalist mucking up their reviews with the same "buying from the U.S. is cheaper" line.  Of course it's cheaper, and I doubt there is a Canadian who is not aware of that by now.  It's time to stop bringing this issue into every damn thread.

I stand by my earlier comment as well.