Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE CVT  (Read 16012 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE CVT
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE CVT

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE CVTCVT: Sporty styling and great driving manners make the base Lancer sedan a good value for under $20,000, says contributor Haney Louka, but the optional continuously variable transmission contributes to excessive "noise and vibration," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE CVT
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 01:20:58 am »
There's one of these parked along my walk to campus most days, and every time I go by it catches my eye.  I really like the looks of this new Lancer...  can't wait to see the Ralliart Turbo AWD version...  :drool:

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:00:59 am »
I know 1 CVT equipped 4 banger that doesn't have those issue this reviewer is complaining about. It's the one I am driving. Haven't seen a single review of the SE R so far just the base Sentra. Come on people.

I considered the Lancer but the interior just well it's just not there to match the outside. So you look at the outside and you are like  ;D but then you go in and  ??? . If only they had A) a slightly bigger engine for the higher trim and B) better interior.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:03:40 am »
It's one of the few cars that actually looks incomplete without the rear spoiler. Same applies to the Mazda 3 hatchback....looks kinda 'bald' without it.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:43:50 am »
I suppose that competitors are Ford Focus, slightly smaller and lighter Hyundai Elantra and Nissan Sentra...Suzuki. This one looks similar to the Focus to me if you move the upper grille back a bit. Speedo seems small for bi-focal users and out in left field. Usual tach comment. The Elantra is quiet on the highway with conventional automatic and the report on this forum did not seem to indicate any harshness. Is the Elantra engine the same. Seems to be less powerfull in numbers. Maybe the peakiness mentioned is due to tuning for more power.
I think I prefer the lighter more fuel efficient Elantra overall although I don't like the wavy style contour on the side. In photos the Focus stands up pretty well here. I don't know; if you get away from the sporty theme, the curent crop of small sedans are not bad at all IMO. An improvment over past models.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:01:53 am »
Wow! Mitsu is getting some attention from CD - two reviews, plus the first drive review, plus Wing's blog. One thing though, all reviews were about the DE model (low end). Most of the people are getting the GTS or the ES - much better value.

These reviews are pretty much in-line with what I thought about the Lancer DE too. The interior felt cheap compared to my Mazda3 GT (top of the line), but I don't think it was a fair comparison. The ES is comparable to Mazda3 GS, although I still think Mazda3 is better. The Mazda3 GT blows the Lancer out of the water.
Oh, it happened that he other day I rode in a co-worker's 2008 Corolla with the 20th Anniversary Package and I was surprised how cheap the interior felt. I would say a Lancer ES has a better interior than that Corolla.

I didn't like the CVT in the Lancer at all. This would be the deal-breaker for me. For those buying a manual anyway, this wouldn't be a problem.

Mitsu needs to do the following to the Lancer for the next model year:
1. Get rid of the CVT and replace it with a 5-speed A/T with manual mode.
2. Put the 2.4L in the GTS.
3. Improve few fit and finish things - the carpet in the trunk looks flimsy, put some insulation on the inner side of the hood, etc.
If they do this, the Lancer could be a top contender in the class.

IGB

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:08:35 pm »
Honda S2000 like front........ :o

I beg your pardon.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:23 pm »
Wonder what Nissan does that is so different with CVT's. The parents Versa is extremely quiet, strangely so, makes the wipers sound loud.

CVT's in almost every other make have the 'vibration/noisy' thing going on. The one in the Caliber felt like there was a paint mixer under the hood.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:25:11 pm »
Wonder what Nissan does that is so different with CVT's. The parents Versa is extremely quiet, strangely so, makes the wipers sound loud.

CVT's in almost every other make have the 'vibration/noisy' thing going on. The one in the Caliber felt like there was a paint mixer under the hood.

Seriously. Nissan's CVTs are terrific. So smooth; it makes the Versa feel like a much larger, more expensive car.
I used to work here.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 12:48:53 pm »
apparently Nissans CVT's are licenced to Jeep (in Patriot and Calibre) and to several other folks (Mitsu too??)...but something gets lost in the translation..maybe Nissan leaves out the SECRET SAUCE ;D when cross licensing.!!!!  but the Patriot too whines and groans with the "same" CVT.....i agree having road tested the Versa CVT last week it was surprisingly pleasant..but i'm still not 100% convinced i'd want one hell the Versa offers a 6 SPEED manual.... :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »
An interesting tidbit, perhaps: a student from my Uni's School of Business just won one of these cars as part of a national "Canada's Next Ad Exec" competition.  Mitsu says they were so impressed they're planning to use some of the elements of her campaign in next year's ads for the Lancer.

So when you see an ad for the Lancer in the spring, they were partly designed by a 22 year old student.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 02:57:29 pm »
There's something about that front end that screams "Dodge" to me.  That said, I saw a white one recently, and was very much impressed by it, especially from the back.  Looks like a much more expensive car -- almost like a Lexus.  Very eye-catching.

I do wish someone would review the MT version.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 03:00:44 pm »
There's something about that front end that screams "Dodge" to me.  That said, I saw a white one recently, and was very much impressed by it, especially from the back.  Looks like a much more expensive car -- almost like a Lexus.  Very eye-catching.

:iagree: about the front, more expensive car but I do not get Lexus comment ???

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 03:01:33 pm »
I have seen a number of them around already, and there will be a NEW Mitsu dealer in central Alberta, Red Deer Mitsubishi, good news for the brand.

Personally, I dislike the front end a lot. The rest of car looks rather good.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 03:04:14 pm »
Seen a couple around too, mostly GTS models. Looks very sharp in the electric blue color.

JVan

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 05:08:50 pm »

:iagree: about the front, more expensive car but I do not get Lexus comment ???
Tail lights have a similar shape and look.

terry0703

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
I have never been a fan of Mitsubishi, but the new Lancer is really a contender with a striking look.
Although it reminds me of the new Elantra and Lexus IS from the rear, the overall design is well executed.
I like the car.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 07:18:49 pm »
 LEX_HI_BUSHY....................hope it's not catchin'...... ::) :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 12:16:31 am »
I don't know who makes this CVT, but the one in my Sentra is great.

This back end looks like a Mazda3, otherwise nice looking car. The interior needs a slight change; it's too dowdy as is. But a car worth considering for those on a budget looking for a long warranty?

Nissan is on to its 2nd or 3rd generation of CVT I believe, the Sentra and Altima I drove were both very smooth and quiet.

The Lancer CVT I sat in (my girlfriend test drove it) was very harsh on the ears, and she said that the car felt like a boat.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:14 am »
Don't get the raves about the rear view. Worst aspect in my view.  CVTs have been around for donkeys years. At least 60 to my knowledge. They have only recently been used in auto's, discounting Daf which I believe was a system of Vee belts.
In industry they are called PIV boxes. Positive Infinitely Variable reducers. and they operate the same way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:24:57 pm by Rupert »