Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T  (Read 21046 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:02:16 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T

2008 Dodge Avenger R/TThe Avenger R/T is not really the "bad boy" it pretends to be, says Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.  "With its smooth V6 powertrain, comfortable ride, quiet roomy cabin, and spacious trunk, the R/T is a surprisingly refined and practical family sedan too," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Mitlov

Re: CD Article: 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:48:51 am »
A much more positive review than I expected.  And I like the styling, but in general I'm partial to Dodge styling.

It's great that the Chrysler group is recognizing the parity between the loonie and the greenback with their pricing, unlike most competitors.  While this car is unremarkable in the US market, it's an absolute steal in Canada.  A refined V6 midsize sedan with a six-speed automatic and available AWD for under $30k isn't a bad thing.

Greg B.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:50:36 am »
Another Chrysler product that has been beaten unmercifully with the ugly stick. They really need to purge their design department and start over again.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:14:38 am »
Another Chrysler product that has been beaten unmercifully with the ugly stick. They really need to purge their design department and start over again.

Wrong! :nono:

Chrysler styling is their strongest point. Distinctive cars in a sea of amorphous aero-blobs.

I liked the Charger and Magnum rentals I had, but they're too big for my needs. Glad to see the Avenger R/T get such a good review. Now how 'bout a wagon version?

I agree with Mitlov regarding the value of the dollar. Chrysler seems to have the best pricing in Canada followed by Ford and GM. The Japanese are the worst in the "everyday" car class.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:18:15 am by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:17:40 am »

Chrysler styling is their strongest point. Distinctive cars in a sea of amorphous aero-blobs.

I liked the Charger and Magnum rentals I had, but they're too big for my needs. Glad to see the Avenger R/T get such a good review. Now how 'bout a wagon version?

I agree with Mitlov regarding the value of the dollar. Chrysler seems to have the best pricing in Canada followed by Ford and GM. The Japanese are the worst in the "everyday" car class.

I agree that the styling is not the issue; at least the aggressive styling approach differentiates Dodge from the mainstream vanilla offerings these days. The interiors on the other hand are disastrous IMHO

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:38:35 am »
I tend to agree with Greg B - this isn't one of Chrysler's styling hits. But it is distinctive, no doubt about that.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:49 am »
Add my name to the list that likes the styling - great looking car, imo.  I'm impressed with the very positive review - seems like a good package for the money, and well put together too.  The MyGig system sounds rather neat - too bad one can't plug their iPod into it and control it from the screen.

I just wish the R/T offered a manual transmission...  230 HP V6 + AWD + 6MT?  :drool:

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:07 am »
Drove one from a rental for a road trip with the 2.7 V6. Don't get the 2.7 V6 it feels very lacking in power in this car and the fuel economy wasn't so good. Overall it looks nice outside but it's not really as high performance as the looks try to suggest. The interior feels quite cheap. For example they used a black ebrake handle which doesn't match all the grey in the car. Make it feels like they thought "ok we can get this part from such such a company and it's CHEAP!" and went for it. The round indents where the door handle sits is kind of odd as well.

Overall it's not bad value but it isn't going to make you go "ah!" each time you get into the car.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:45:27 am »

I agree that the styling is not the issue; at least the aggressive styling approach differentiates Dodge from the mainstream vanilla offerings these days. The interiors on the other hand are disastrous IMHO

:iagree: :iagree: Styling is good, inside is poor, IMO. Haven't driven the Avenger yet, tho.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

B2

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 12:15:39 pm »
I might have considered this vehicle (fully loaded) IF there was a wagon available.  I loosely considered a Magnum, especially because used ones are cheap, but it's just too big for me.

There needs to be more wagons/hatchbacks available these days.  When it came down to it there was only one car I was interested in buying (in my price range).  So much for choice.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:15:40 pm »
Really like the exterior styling on these.

Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »
:iagree: The interior looks a little suspect though.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 04:12:10 pm »
:iagree: The interior looks a little suspect though.

Yeah, the Chrysler corp malady that goes all through the line. I tried the Caliber and the Patriot and the cheap interiors made me think, OK, if they don't put any quality into what I would see every day, what about the parts I can't see? How much care is going into the transmission and engine? And Chrysler has had enough historical problems that way they really shouldn't be reinforcing perceptions.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:03 pm »
To play devil's advocate, though, if one has a limited budget to put together the car, I would rather that money went into the engine and drivetrain than the interior plastics.  Leather is no good on the side of the road.  :)

But agreed on reinforcing perceptions - if other cars in this segment can have decent interiors, there's no reason I can fathom that Chrysler can't step it up considerably.  The interior of the rental Charger we had last Christmas was workable, but not what I would expect in that range of automobile.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 04:55:59 pm »
Like most people said...exterior is nice but interior is not so nice. Too grey and dull.

Greg B.

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »
Man, I'm starting to question my formerly positive opinion of you folks.  ;)

No question, the interior is a real budgie bird (cheep cheep cheep) but you guys LIKE the exterior? If the Charger is like a lounge lizard type with slicked back hair and gold chains on an open-neck shirt, this thing looks like his kid brother trying to pull off the same effect -- i.e. ridiculous.

I remain firm in my belief that Chrysler design needs a total purge. Either that or they need to stop taking whatever drugs they're on.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 09:00:14 pm »

Bare in mind, I wear an ascot and have a preference for tweed! ;D
(I have no idea why the others like the styling!)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:14 am »

No question, the interior is a real budgie bird (cheep cheep cheep) but you guys LIKE the exterior? If the Charger is like a lounge lizard type with slicked back hair and gold chains on an open-neck shirt, this thing looks like his kid brother trying to pull off the same effect -- i.e. ridiculous.

I remain firm in my belief that Chrysler design needs a total purge. Either that or they need to stop taking whatever drugs they're on.

:iagree: It must be easy being a designer at Chrysler these days - all you need is a t-square and a pencil. Chrysler's Panzerwagen exteriors remind me old slab-sided military vehicles with their gun-slit windows and high, almost vertical ends. What's next, a camo paint option?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:25:40 am by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 12:06:00 am »
^^ They should have a camo paint option on the Compass and Patriot.  :P

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile