Author Topic: cd article: Steering you right: Photo radar fighter  (Read 3525 times)

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
cd article: Steering you right: Photo radar fighter
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:55:07 am »
Ah, Photo Radar.
Or should I say Taxation, taxation. Really it's nothing more than crack for the municipalities that it serves. Once addicted it takes a major intervention to get the ruling parties to separate themselves from this cash cow.
In Alberta we've had it in the cities for many years but not in the country
where the Prov. government's power base is. Even though 80% of all traffic fatalities happen there. EIGHTY percent. Speed of course is a leading factor in many of these accidents. Mention this to a non city dweller and  often the response will be of denial or the same look you get when telling someone about the aliens that abducted you last week.
I understand the need for enforcement of our laws and a deterrent. But again these kind of devices to enforce the law are placed in area where generate the highest revenue not where they are most needed.
 If there is one sobering event that can make all this seem trivial is seeing  an intoxicated man with a suspended license (for dwi) run a red light, kill a lady in her car and get 30 mths for his crime and if he's a good prisoner get paroled in 10 mths. That is definitely a Canadian moment of shame.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: cd article: Steering you right: Photo radar fighter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:53:02 pm »
Ah, Photo Radar.
Or should I say Taxation, taxation. Really it's nothing more than crack for the municipalities that it serves. Once addicted it takes a major intervention to get the ruling parties to separate themselves from this cash cow.
In Alberta we've had it in the cities for many years but not in the country
where the Prov. government's power base is. Even though 80% of all traffic fatalities happen there. EIGHTY percent. Speed of course is a leading factor in many of these accidents. Mention this to a non city dweller and  often the response will be of denial or the same look you get when telling someone about the aliens that abducted you last week.
I understand the need for enforcement of our laws and a deterrent. But again these kind of devices to enforce the law are placed in area where generate the highest revenue not where they are most needed.
 If there is one sobering event that can make all this seem trivial is seeing  an intoxicated man with a suspended license (for dwi) run a red light, kill a lady in her car and get 30 mths for his crime and if he's a good prisoner get paroled in 10 mths. That is definitely a Canadian moment of shame.

I think the answer is to use photo radar in high accident areas, especially where speeding is a high contributing factor. I agree that some municipalities are using it as revenue-generating device, but to remove photo radar altogether would be a huge mistake, IMHO. Putting it where it's needed and making sure that people KNOW IT'S THERE might them think twice about what they're doing and maybe save a few lives.

A few years ago red-light cameras were installed at some of the dangerous intersections in this town. People complained about them too, but my reaction was if you don't run red lights, what's the problem?
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Morteus

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:33:58 pm »
The problem with photo radar is that when someone is truly speeding in a reckless manor that endangers those around them, his picture gets taken and he is on his merry way at the same speed! When they install photo cash registers...uuhhmm..I mean radar, they cut back on the amount of police officers watching for speeders. Sure the person gets a ticket in the mail a week later, but isn't it safer for everyone to have him/her stopped on the spot? When they implemented it in Ontario a few years back, they would park them unmarked on the side of the highway and set them to go off at 110kmh while all of the traffic moves at 120kmh!! $$$Caaaachinggg!!! $$$ what would happen is people driving at 120kmh would see them at the last moment and slam the brakes on wreaking havoc on the highways! It made driving more dangerous while emptying your pockets. Truly an irresponsible tax grab!!  :surrend: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:36:54 pm »
The problem with photo radar is that when someone is truly speeding in a reckless manor that endangers those around them, his picture gets taken and he is on his merry way at the same speed! When they install photo cash registers...uuhhmm..I mean radar, they cut back on the amount of police officers watching for speeders. Sure the person gets a ticket in the mail a week later, but isn't it safer for everyone to have him/her stopped on the spot? When they implemented it in Ontario a few years back, they would park them unmarked on the side of the highway and set them to go off at 110kmh while all of the traffic moves at 120kmh!! $$$Caaaachinggg!!! $$$ what would happen is people driving at 120kmh would see them at the last moment and slam the brakes on wreaking havoc on the highways! It made driving more dangerous while emptying your pockets. Truly an irresponsible tax grab!!  :surrend: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Buddy used to speed all the time in Winnipeg. Now with all photo radar/red light cameras, he doesn't. It worked for him, though I don't remember him ever getting into an accident before the radars.