Author Topic: Jaguar XF  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
Jaguar XF
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:21:53 am »
Does anyone know or have an idea what the price point is going to be?  The more I look at it, the more I love the design.  Knowing my luck it's going to start at 60K or higher.  :(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Jaguar XF
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:54 am »
I looked at the website.   I'll bet that it starts at $69,995 Cdn which will be well above the US price, and get up to the mid 80s  or even the 90s for the supercharged version... maybe more.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:37:49 am »
The 2008 X-Type is $45 sdn /$49 wagon.
S-Type 3.0/4.2/R $62/$75/$86.
XJ starts at $85.

Since this is supposed to replace the S-Type (and the X? :think:) should come in at a competitive price for the segment since they're depending on it so much - yet want to remain prestigious and to support dealer profitability, so $60-something sounds about right to me too although I'd put it at low $60's to start.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:40:38 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:59:56 am »
Since this is supposed to replace the S-Type (and the X? :think:)

My understanding was that this only replaces the S-Type, not the X-Type, and should be more expensive than the S-Type.  Heck, there's no six-cylinder option.

Jaguar has a great opportunity to make a Mondeo-based, AWD, four-door coupe that is more true to the C-XF concept's styling than the production XF, and sell it as the new X-Type.  It's a great platform according to most reviews; the compact sport sedan crowd would be more welcoming of the four-door-coupe design than the midsize luxury sedan crowd; and the aggressive lines would compete well against 3-Serieses, C-Classes, G35s, etc. 

Problem is, I doubt Jaguar is going to do this.  They tend to prefer stagnation as a brand strategy.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:08:45 pm »
I hope it's competitively priced and I can afford it.  It's one of the few sedan designs that I like and isn't boring to look at.  I've wanted a Jaguar ever since I was old enough to know what one was.  But they used to be such lemons... which I'm pondering about now.  I hope it's a quality automobile.  Guess I'm going to have to start putting more $$$ away for it.  It's something I'd probably want to buy rather than lease.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »
It's something I'd probably want to buy rather than lease.

???

Something like this I would NOT want to own out of warranty, given the history...plus can't you write off leases as a business expense?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:39:07 am »
X-Type is gone after all too.

Jaguar kills X-Type in N. America

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
October 15, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES — Jaguar Cars will yank its dismal-selling X-Type sedan from the North American market.

Production for North American dealers will end in December. The sedan will disappear just as the XF arrives in showrooms next spring to replace the mid-sized S-Type sedan.

"This will reposition the brand upscale," a Jaguar source said.

Killing the X-Type will restore the brand's prestige, says dealer Ken Gorin, chairman of Jaguar's business operations council.

"There shouldn't be an X-Type left on the day the XF is shown to the public," said Gorin, co-owner of The Collection in Coral Gables, Fla., a multiline store of high-end luxury car brands. "The X-Type is the exact opposite of where we need to be."

Owner Ford Motor Co.'s attempt to compete with the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class was a flop. Sales in the United States have fallen steadily since the X-Type's launch in 2002, when 33,018 units were sold.

Even generous lease deals have failed to move the metal, as shoppers frowned on the cheap plastics and poor packaging of an old design on a Ford Mondeo platform.

Sales fell to 21,542 units in 2004 and 10,941 in 2005. At that time, Jaguar left the car out of its new "Gorgeous" marketing campaign. Sales plunged to 5,214 in 2006. Through September of this year, just 2,403 units were sold.

The X-Type will be sold elsewhere in the world through 2010, when production is expected to end. In Europe, Jaguar sold 22,240 X-Types in 2006 and 9,901 through August.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:25:58 pm »
X-Type is gone after all too.

Jaguar kills X-Type in N. America

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
October 15, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES — Jaguar Cars will yank its dismal-selling X-Type sedan from the North American market.

Production for North American dealers will end in December. The sedan will disappear just as the XF arrives in showrooms next spring to replace the mid-sized S-Type sedan.

"This will reposition the brand upscale," a Jaguar source said.

Killing the X-Type will restore the brand's prestige, says dealer Ken Gorin, chairman of Jaguar's business operations council.

"There shouldn't be an X-Type left on the day the XF is shown to the public," said Gorin, co-owner of The Collection in Coral Gables, Fla., a multiline store of high-end luxury car brands. "The X-Type is the exact opposite of where we need to be."

Owner Ford Motor Co.'s attempt to compete with the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class was a flop. Sales in the United States have fallen steadily since the X-Type's launch in 2002, when 33,018 units were sold.

Even generous lease deals have failed to move the metal, as shoppers frowned on the cheap plastics and poor packaging of an old design on a Ford Mondeo platform.

Sales fell to 21,542 units in 2004 and 10,941 in 2005. At that time, Jaguar left the car out of its new "Gorgeous" marketing campaign. Sales plunged to 5,214 in 2006. Through September of this year, just 2,403 units were sold.

The X-Type will be sold elsewhere in the world through 2010, when production is expected to end. In Europe, Jaguar sold 22,240 X-Types in 2006 and 9,901 through August.

Some good deals to be had on the remaining X-types now.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 04:44:48 pm »

I disagree.  There shouldn't be the current X-Type, which is one of the weakest entries in its segment.  However, having a compact sport sedan does not take anything away from a luxury brand.  Indeed, it's oftentimes the best seller.  I can't imagine BMW without the 3-Series, MB without the C-Class, or Audi without the A4.  Having a compact sedan is even more important when your midsizer doesn't even come with a six-cylinder (the XF only has a V8 and a supercharged V8).

Jaguar should concentrate on building a better X-Type--either based upon the new Mondeo (which is getting rave reviews) or the Australian Ford Falcon (inline-six and rear-wheel-drive...sound familiar?).  The XK and XF are good halo cars, but without a solid entry into the compact sport sedan segment to benefit from this halo, what's the point?

Cortina

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:07 pm »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 10:08:01 pm »
It's one of the few sedan designs that I like and isn't boring to look at.

The concept was beautiful...I find the "real" car much less so...especially the front end.

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 12:41:11 am »
It's one of the few sedan designs that I like and isn't boring to look at.

The concept was beautiful...I find the "real" car much less so...especially the front end.

I feel the same way.  I was really excited about the C-XF, but the XF left me cold.

I kept hoping that they'd introduce a compact sport sedan faithful in design to the C-XF (since it's targeting a younger audience which values sleekness and aggressive front ends, more and rear headroom less).  But word is, Jaguar is out-and-out abandoning the compact sport sedan market.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 02:50:40 pm »

Jaguar should concentrate on building a better X-Type--either based upon the new Mondeo (which is getting rave reviews) or the Australian Ford Falcon (inline-six and rear-wheel-drive...sound familiar?).  The XK and XF are good halo cars, but without a solid entry into the compact sport sedan segment to benefit from this halo, what's the point?

Bang on. While getting rid of the S-type for the FX is a start, if Jag really wants to pull themselves out of the water, they really need the entry level sport sedan. Or dare I say it: Entry level hatch?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »
Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but...

XF Luxury $59,8
XF Premium Luxury $65,8
XF Supercharged $77,8

baumer00

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »
The more I see this car, the less I like it.  At least the prices seem somewhat reasonable

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »
Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but...

XF Luxury $59,8
XF Premium Luxury $65,8
XF Supercharged $77,8

Does the $19,000 rebate you mentioned in the "Current Incentives" apply yet?   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:41:56 pm »

Bang on. While getting rid of the S-type for the FX is a start, if Jag really wants to pull themselves out of the water, they really need the entry level sport sedan. Or dare I say it: Entry level hatch?

Rumor is that Jaguar is planning a 911 competitor. A 2 seater sports car that will be slightly bigger than the F-type concept that almost got produced. This new sports car will also more or less fill up the empty space which will be left by phasing out the X-type, as Jaguar intends to keep a 4 model program.  ;)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
I was invited to the XF unveiling next Wednesday by a friend of mine at Ford of Canada.

I've never been to one before...and given some of the reviews of the car, I might be lonely there.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 03:15:47 pm »
I've never been to one before...and given some of the reviews of the car, I might be lonely there.

From the limited amounts of review I've read, they're surprisingly high on the car.

Go and report back  ;D

robarakira

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:41 pm »
an XF coupe is on it's way too  :)     them jag coupes are easy on the eyes