Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT  (Read 17646 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 06:52:21 pm »
Actually Mazda only needs to make a 2L Turbo having around 200HP and 200TQ and it would work perfect in the Mz5 for those who want a little more.  Of course their 2L diesel would be even better.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 06:52:54 pm »
I know I’m probably getting carried away, and a fully loaded MazdaSpeed 5 would than probably cost more than a base CX-7….But it’s just a dream right now anyways.

:iagree:

It could be an interesting vehicle for sure - and I don't think as pricey as you might think.
JWW

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 06:53:27 pm »
...  Of course their 2L diesel would be even better.
Now we're talking!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
We test-drove a Mazda5 last week and might have bought one if it weren't for the way we were treated by the dealer, but that's a whole 'nother story. The car itself was very nice, beautifully designed and a much better driver than I expected. I liked the interior layout, especially up front, but the seats were a bit narrow and confining. I'm an average-sized male, so that was probably because of the aggressive bolsters - my wife found them quite uncomfortable.

There were a few details neither of us liked - the main one being the lack of three-across seating in the second row.  :thumbdown: I know Mazda offers this feature in other markets and I'm not sure why it's not an option here, or why a full set of airbags is only standard in the GT. Add these features, lengthen the wheelbase by a couple of inches to make the back seats usable by actual people, give it at least 30 more horsepower and Mazda would have a perfect 5. :drive: :lick: :love:

Just a note to Mazda and the rest - can we PUH-LEEEEZ go back to a-la-carte options? The way options are packaged right now drives me NUTS!!  :banghead: You can almost never get the options you want without buying a whole load of other crap.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:18:12 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

gottarondo

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 08:02:24 pm »
Just a note to Mazda and the rest - can we PUH-LEEEEZ go back to a-la-carte options? The way options are packaged right now drives me NUTS!!  :banghead: You can almost never get the options you want without buying a whole load of other crap.

Ain't THAT the truth.  It took us about 50 seconds to decide we wanted the Rondo, and 5 hours to decide which model to buy. 

And ditto on the seat bolsters in the Mazda 5; that was another aspect of the seating I didn't like.  I'm in and out of the car sometimes a dozen times per outing, and climbing over that bolster on every entry and egress was simply not on the menu.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 10:17:29 pm »
That could be winner. What I meant by offering the customer a long list of optional equipment, was exactly what you listed. I would also like to see on the option list:
-Suspension components & wheel packages
- Engine & Transmission fluid coolers
-6 speed manual Transmission
- Locking center Differential
-Limited slip differential front and back.

I know I’m probably getting carried away, and a fully loaded MazdaSpeed 5 would than probably cost more than a base CX-7….But it’s just a dream right now anyways.

This could work, but in a smallish market like Canada you need to keep in mind that too many configurations could be counterproductive...too many possible permutations of factory only options might make it very difficult to find the config you want or force you into paying for featuers you don't want just to get ones you do.

"Option packages" do this in a way but on the other hand they allow standardization which should in theory lower production costs...

Dealer installable stuff doesn't suffer from this, of course, but the cost to the customer who wants it would probably be higher as its not amortized over all units sold, and you have to remove the old stuff, plus dealer not as economically efficent as factory assembly, etc....

In short, forget the LSD, be happy with a Haldex clutch. :P :)

EDIT: regarding the reducing displacement comment...whats the marginal tradeoff of bore vs. stroke? assuming same overall displacement..
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »

In short, forget the LSD, be happy with a Haldex clutch. :P :)

Good advice. Nobody ever got flashbacks from using a Haldex....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 06:26:54 am »
There were a few details neither of us liked - the main one being the lack of three-across seating in the second row.  :thumbdown: I know Mazda offers this feature in other markets and I'm not sure why it's not an option here, or why a full set of airbags is only standard in the GT. Add these features, lengthen the wheelbase by a couple of inches to make the back seats usable by actual people, give it at least 30 more horsepower and Mazda would have a perfect 5.

They use to have that and it was called the MPV. Too bad they dropped it from our market.

boytoys

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 08:03:34 am »
Been with a Mazda 5 community before it started shipping in Canada.  Love the styling and everything else. I changed from Odyssey, Element, to Mazda5 since Aug 1, 06 because of the new born.

We regularly have the baby (now 15 months) set in 2nd row, 8 year old seating at 3rd row, mom seating 2nd row or
mom seating next to driver or driving then 8 year old seating at 2nd row. Lots of grocery. can fit full size stroller.
Occasionally, for short commutes, we had 4 adults one 8 yr old, 1 yr old travelling without any issue.

The sliding door, lower step in height, are awesome compared to the Element that I had (which
Space is not an issue. I moved my entire store + inventory with this Mazda5 + 1 day rental of a Cargo Van.
I moved away from Odyssey for Element because of the bigger engine, weight and increasing fuel cost; the Element was perfect at the time when my 8 year old (then 6)... but when the baby comes, it had to be the 5.

15 months using the 5GT.
I have the following issues

- CEL on for what is believed to be gas cap pressure sensor (got reset) ; various mazda5 forum members all have similar issues
- I have a bubble/deformation on the  side wall of the Toyo stock.17" (terrible size to find reasonable replacement tires); personally i like the 16" better, comfortable and easier to find replacement tires.
- The silver alum-look trim in door/gearstick area are cheap and scratched easily..

My 06 GT does not have air vents for A/C to the back. I believe the 07 has this for GT. which is a plus otherwise it can get stuffy on hot days. My 06 GT doesn't have traction control either, i believe the 07 GT also has this.

Overall. I told my wife i like this Mazda5 after 16 months and i like to keep it. The only thing that may sway us will be how cheap the cars are in US nowadays..

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:16 am »
There were a few details neither of us liked - the main one being the lack of three-across seating in the second row.  :thumbdown: I know Mazda offers this feature in other markets and I'm not sure why it's not an option here, or why a full set of airbags is only standard in the GT. Add these features, lengthen the wheelbase by a couple of inches to make the back seats usable by actual people, give it at least 30 more horsepower and Mazda would have a perfect 5.

They use to have that and it was called the MPV. Too bad they dropped it from our market.

:iagree: The MPV was just about perfect as a people-mover IMHO. A lot smaller than the bloated 'minivans' sold by Chrysler, Honda, Toyota etc. but still large and versatile enough and much more economical. My feeling is Mazda dropped it because of the negative image associated with minivans. If Mazda were still selling the MPV, I don't think I would've even looked at the 5. :thumbdown:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 01:48:28 pm »
..3 Diaper loads per trip to GrandMas................... ??? ::) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 03:31:37 pm »

:iagree: The MPV was just about perfect as a people-mover IMHO. A lot smaller than the bloated 'minivans' sold by Chrysler, Honda, Toyota etc. but still large and versatile enough and much more economical. My feeling is Mazda dropped it because of the negative image associated with minivans. If Mazda were still selling the MPV, I don't think I would've even looked at the 5. :thumbdown:

We have one of the last 2006 MPV GT's (bought in February 07).  It's a brilliant car and doesn't cast a shadow like the Hindenburg-like dimensions of the current supersized 'minivans'.   7 passengers and luggage in the footprint of a Mazda 6.

The next up for Mazda muti-passenger is the CX-9 at $40 large to start - yowza!  They've outright abandoned this market.  Glad I've got mine  ;D!

Fortune favours the bold!

boytoys

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 07:01:42 pm »
Been with a Mazda 5 community before it started shipping in Canada.  Love the styling and everything else. I changed from Odyssey, Element, to Mazda5 since Aug 1, 06 because of the new born.

We regularly have the baby (now 15 months) set in 2nd row, 8 year old seating at 3rd row, mom seating 2nd row or
mom seating next to driver or driving then 8 year old seating at 2nd row. Lots of grocery. can fit full size stroller.
Occasionally, for short commutes, we had 4 adults one 8 yr old, 1 yr old travelling without any issue.

The sliding door, lower step in height, are awesome compared to the Element that I had (which
Space is not an issue. I moved my entire store + inventory with this Mazda5 + 1 day rental of a Cargo Van.
I moved away from Odyssey for Element because of the bigger engine, weight and increasing fuel cost; the Element was perfect at the time when my 8 year old (then 6)... but when the baby comes, it had to be the 5.

15 months using the 5GT.
I have the following issues

- CEL on for what is believed to be gas cap pressure sensor (got reset) ; various mazda5 forum members all have similar issues
- I have a bubble/deformation on the  side wall of the Toyo stock.17" (terrible size to find reasonable replacement tires); personally i like the 16" better, comfortable and easier to find replacement tires.
- The silver alum-look trim in door/gearstick area are cheap and scratched easily..

My 06 GT does not have air vents for A/C to the back. I believe the 07 has this for GT. which is a plus otherwise it can get stuffy on hot days. My 06 GT doesn't have traction control either, i believe the 07 GT also has this.

Overall. I told my wife i like this Mazda5 after 16 months and i like to keep it. The only thing that may sway us will be how cheap the cars are in US nowadays..

What economy figures are you getting?

Full tank ,believed to be 60L. Filled once to 56L and travelled mixed HWY/City 450Km.. city driving 400 is easily achievable.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 08:08:59 pm »
Can't be right, can it? You in stop and go all the time Boytoys? Most reviews of the 5 I've read report something between 9 - 10L/100kms overall.

Have to check the tank size as I don't think it's that large. EDIT: Checked and it is 60L. When you give the mileage you get per tank are you on emply or 1/4 or??? Re-reading your statement leads me to think you travelled 450 and put in 56L to top up which is the way I normally would relate it as well, hmmmm  :-\

I would have thought it much better. Still better than most SUVs or minivans, but always hope for more.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:15:39 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 06:24:54 pm »
Now we're talking!

That's what this vehicle needs alright, 44.9 mpg combined HW/City according to the UK site, no automatic though.  As it stands, the Sienna does almost as well on the fuel economy front and carries a lot more.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 08:22:20 am »
Now we're talking!

That's what this vehicle needs alright, 44.9 mpg combined HW/City according to the UK site, no automatic though. 
One could easily be fitted for NA consumption - although I wouldn't buy it - a good strong diesel always wants to be mated with a solid stick.  :skid:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 09:01:20 am »
I think a good strong diesel would be a happy combination with an automatic.  It should be easier to keep the engine in its power band with an auto with some suitable gearing and therefore give some really good economy numbers AND good performance.

I say this as a committed 40+ years manny tranny driver who has driven many diesels in Euland over the last 20 years.
I also agree tho' that a Mazda 5 with a diesel would be a great everyday vehicle.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

banfield

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 11:04:34 am »
I recently rented a non-GT version for two weeks. Wonderful vehicle except for:
. slit-like view through the extremely-raked windshield.
. thick, forward-thrusting A-pillars can block view of other vehicles when you make a turn.

Current Honda Civic has the same A-pillar problem  although the windshield is bigger top to bottom so the "slit-like view" effect is not as pronounced.

boytoys

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 10:32:49 pm »
Can't be right, can it? You in stop and go all the time Boytoys? Most reviews of the 5 I've read report something between 9 - 10L/100kms overall.

Have to check the tank size as I don't think it's that large. EDIT: Checked and it is 60L. When you give the mileage you get per tank are you on emply or 1/4 or??? Re-reading your statement leads me to think you travelled 450 and put in 56L to top up which is the way I normally would relate it as well, hmmmm  :-\

I would have thought it much better. Still better than most SUVs or minivans, but always hope for more.

daily driving is Mavis/403/401 to 401/Dixon  Dixie/403  Eglinton/403.. etc. agree. definitely more stop and go than i would like. I don't do hard driving.. but the numbers i quote is pretty much repeatable. I fill up almost 53-56 most cases and get 440-450 km..sometimes worst if A/C is on and hot day and lots of traffic.

Went to Buffalo last week and the week before to St. Catherines with nice flowing traffic. I can feel the numbers improving although i don't have actual data or log to tell ya.

Leviathan

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 11:41:37 pm »
So 12.4L/100km for the 56L in the city? For a 4cyl that's not very appealing.
Depends on the conditions. My Tribute is of similar weight, uses pretty much the same engine as the 5 and on a 12Km route I've seen gas usage from 1.0L to 1.5L  (as recorded by my Scangauge II) under similar temp & weather conditions. The difference is purely traffic. You simply cannot get good mileage if you are forced to wait 2 or 3 lights to get through intersections  >:(