Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT  (Read 17644 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:28:33 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Mazda5 GT

2007 Mazda5 GT5-speed manual: More "urban friendly" than a typical minivan, the six-passenger Mazda5 "micro-van" is an attractive and affordable alternative for young families, says Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: CD Article: 2007 Mazda5 GT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:17 am »
I've had my 2007 GT for a month and a half - it's great from a utility perspective.  I hauled a (dismantled) crib and the four of us in it using the 2-1-1 seating arrangement he noted. Couldn't do that with a wagon, hatch or sedan.  ;D 

I toyed with a 3 GT, but decided the 5 GT has an incredible versatility advantage at a minor performance penalty at the same price point.  Third row isn't as bad as one would think, especially since the second row slide front/back to increase legroom.

Rondo is terrific as a 7 passenger, V6 option when compared to a similalry optioned 5 GT- plus their warrantee - but their lease rates were double Mazda.
Fortune favours the bold!

chris

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:23:05 am »
I have an 06 Base with manual and find it the perfect car for my family of three.  We purchased it in October and I did not notice any undue noise from the suspension at all during the Calgary winter. 

Personally I think the power is fully adequate... sure it's no rocketship but, c'mon!  It's a wagon/van!!!  It's peppy (due mainly to low gearing I think) around town, relaxed on the highway and has sufficient power for all reasonable maneuvers.  It handles far better than I expected making it a not unpleasant experience to drive the beast solo on some interesting roads unlike any real minivan I've driven.

The wierdnesses are that there are no 'outboard' armrests for the middle seat passengers as the sliding doors do not incorporate them and the map pockets don't hold maps well.  Maybe one but not several as they'll fall out.

I'm continually surprised by the features on my base model.  Cruise and radio controlls on the steering wheel, auto wipers that really do work properly are things I didn't expect in a base vehicle.

Great car for my needs.
Chris.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:17 am »
I have been a fan of the 5 since it debuted here in Canada. We travel fairly regularly to the UK where space-vans/people movers have been all the rage for at least a decade. IMO, we could use a few more options in this category to make things interesting - the Toyota Verso (not to be confused with Nissan's Versa) is an excellent example - it has gobs of space and great driving characteristics.

Given the target market for the 5, I doubt that the lower overall performance from the 3 GT is much of a bother to many folks. The price is certainly good and the list of standard features is excellent. I hear that the A/C is more powerful now than it was in original models which was reportedly barely adequate to cool the tall greenhouse down quickly. As I recall there was some regulation that prevents Mazda from shipping these with standard privacy glass from the B pillar back. Zebart should be making some $$ applying tint to new deliveries of these  ;)
JWW

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:20:38 am »
Kudos to Mazda for entering the Mazda5 with a stick, but what percentage of Mazda5's are sold with manual transmissions ? I'm just trying to determine the demographic profile of a (north American) Mazda5 stick driver, given the vehicle's people hauling aspirations ?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:48:38 pm »
Why review the outgoing '07?

I had come really close to buying a Mazda5 with manual. Unfortunately the driver's seat down have a long enough track to go back (maybe they will fix this for 2008MY?) and just seemed a little 'much' for me lacking some options I wanted. Glad to see it's a sales success here - they have really hit the young demographic with child well, as I see MANY with child seats in the back.

They sure are improving upon the model for '08. I would be very pleased with one. Driven 2 Auto equipped models in town and on the highway and I found power satisfactory... if I owned it I wouldn't think of it as a minivan substitute, but rather a more versatile and smart compact.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:51:09 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 04:56:42 pm »
My only complaint of the one we test drove a couple months ago was the lack of power, especially when merging on the highway.    Make a MazdaSpeed5 and I'd buy one in a second.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 01:31:53 am »
I have been a fan of the 5 since it debuted here in Canada. We travel fairly regularly to the UK where space-vans/people movers have been all the rage for at least a decade. IMO, we could use a few more options in this category to make things interesting - the Toyota Verso (not to be confused with Nissan's Versa) is an excellent example - it has gobs of space and great driving characteristics.

:iagree:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:10:37 am »

Here are some pics for ya.

Rolling

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 12:11:57 pm »
Kudos to Mazda for entering the Mazda5 with a stick, but what percentage of Mazda5's are sold with manual transmissions ? I'm just trying to determine the demographic profile of a (north American) Mazda5 stick driver, given the vehicle's people hauling aspirations ?

I agree that putting a 5 speed manual transmission is one of the best things that Mazda has done to increase this vehicle’s appeal. I don’t think that prospective buyers who are considering the Mazda 5 are mainly drawn by its “people hauling” capabilities.  You can get a bigger “people hauler” for less in a Dodge/Chrysler Caravan.

Mazda is going the right way to separate the Mazda 5 from its competition and give this vehicle some uniqueness.

My only complaint of the one we test drove a couple months ago was the lack of power, especially when merging on the highway.    Make a MazdaSpeed5 and I'd buy one in a second.

I also agree with Y2chuck!!  If Mazda wants to create a truly unique vehicle that could have a huge following like the Mazda 5 Miata, make a MazdaSpeed 5. I too would buy it a heart beat if it had:
- The drive train of the departed MazdaSpeed 6, but still has the third row seats (probably easier said than done)
- Power that rivals many V6 engines, but consistently delivers better fuel economy (also easier said than done)
- A long list of optional equipment to allow for creative individuality.
(Make it affordable, but allow the buyer to load it up with toys if they desire)

Probably won’t happen though because Mazda wouldn’t want to take anything away from their own CX-7 or CX-9….Oh but what a sweet “people hauler” it would be. ;)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 12:20:42 pm »

Here are some pics for ya.

Oooooooooooo, that's nice! Thanks jww, the only time my husband thinks about giving up the Camry is to get a vehicle with more flexible spacing arrangement. We're not really enthusiastic about SUVs, CUVs, or mini-vans. Something like this would fit the bill nicely......

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 12:27:27 pm »

I agree that putting a 5 speed manual transmission is one of the best things that Mazda has done to increase this vehicle’s appeal. I don’t think that prospective buyers who are considering the Mazda 5 are mainly drawn by its “people hauling” capabilities.  You can get a bigger “people hauler” for less in a Dodge/Chrysler Caravan.

I have a friend who was so happy when she discovered the 5 existed: She is a young mom who was not looking forward to the minivan options because she still wanted some fun-to-drive and a manual.

Since they are offering this in Canada, I think it will fly.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 02:23:37 pm »

Mazda is going the right way to separate the Mazda 5 from its competition and give this vehicle some uniqueness.

I also agree with Y2chuck!!  If Mazda wants to create a truly unique vehicle that could have a huge following like the Mazda 5 Miata, make a MazdaSpeed 5. I too would buy it a heart beat if it had:
- The drive train of the departed MazdaSpeed 6, but still has the third row seats (probably easier said than done)
- Power that rivals many V6 engines, but consistently delivers better fuel economy (also easier said than done)
- A long list of optional equipment to allow for creative individuality.
(Make it affordable, but allow the buyer to load it up with toys if they desire)

Probably won’t happen though because Mazda wouldn’t want to take anything away from their own CX-7 or CX-9….Oh but what a sweet “people hauler” it would be. ;)

A modestly sized turbo adjusted to provide a wide torque curve and a Haldex differential in the middle shouldn't be so hard to do. Mazda already offers MS3, MS6, and CX7 with turbos, and a number of Haldex based AWD offerings. Turbo fours can and do deliver better fuel economy than some V6s, albiet they tend to use premium gas and synthetic oil. But when you look at the 2.0T from VWAG getting 6.5L / 100km on the highway and having a torque curve flatter than Kansas, it's uplifting.

As to your other point, do you mean adding toys or adding individuality? The former I think of as "options", like Satnav, XM radio, multirow climate control, power liftgate...the latter I think of as somewhat more "accessories" type of thing, like roof diffusers, body kit, bike carrier, Thule / roof rack, aftermarket alloys....

I see the latter being possible and profitable for dealers...don't have to install at the factory which improves things.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 02:27:18 pm »
I really like the look of the M5.  :) A more powerful engine option would definitely be a nice addition.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 03:10:47 pm »
Had it been available when I bought the Vibe, I would have bought the 5 instead. Both people I know who own them have manual GTs, and love them.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

gottarondo

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 03:20:27 pm »

I had come really close to buying a Mazda5 with manual. Unfortunately the driver's seat down have a long enough track to go back (maybe they will fix this for 2008MY?)  

We were also really excited about the Mazda 5 when it first came out, and figured that it was our car, until we sat in it.  We're both fairly tall, and the car just seems made for shorter people, or maybe tall people with different proportions... didn't think we were that abnormal.  We never even test drove it, and when you consider that we went on to buy a Rondo, were obviously pretty much in the target demographic.  The seating wsa the primary thing that ruled out the Mazda 5 for us, before the Rondo was even on the market, though the gap between the second row seats when they're down was also a bit of a deal breaker.  

I do think the retention of the manual option is a good idea.  Might swing many a buyer from Rondo to 5, if they're below the height threshold!

The Rondo 7-seater shares the second-seat folding mechanism described for the 5 in this review, pulling up the seat cushion before dropping the seat backs, and it is indeed a limiting factor in the usability of the space (and in the Rondo you also have to take off the headrests = more hassle than I like).  The 5-seater Rondo folds "normally" I think.  I'm curious as to what drives this choice by the manufacturer - does anyone know?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:58:48 pm by gottarondo »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 03:38:34 pm »
The Rondo 7-seater shares the second-seat folding mechanism described for the 5 in this review, pulling up the seat cushion before dropping the seat backs, and it is indeed a limiting factor in the usability of the space (and in the Rondo you also have to take off the headrests = more hassle than I like).  The 5-seater Rondo folds "normally" I think.  I'm curious as to what drives this choice by the manufacturer - does anyone know?

To allow the seatback to fold flat normally. If there's no space under the cushion bottom for it to lower with the backrest to collapse on top, it must flip forward so the backrest can fold into that spot providing a flat floor. At least that's what I always thought.

My previous Golf's back seat bottom needed to be flipped, but provided flat floor. My new Golf's seat bottom is fixed so it doesn't but the seatback isn't flat (angles up a bit... not a big deal but takes up space).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:40:18 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »
The Rondo 7-seater shares the second-seat folding mechanism described for the 5 in this review, pulling up the seat cushion before dropping the seat backs, and it is indeed a limiting factor in the usability of the space (and in the Rondo you also have to take off the headrests = more hassle than I like).  The 5-seater Rondo folds "normally" I think.  I'm curious as to what drives this choice by the manufacturer - does anyone know?

To allow the seatback to fold flat normally. If there's no space under the cushion bottom for it to lower with the backrest to collapse on top, it must flip forward so the backrest can fold into that spot providing a flat floor. At least that's what I always thought.

My previous Golf's back seat bottom needed to be flipped, but provided flat floor. My new Golf's seat bottom is fixed so it doesn't but the seatback isn't flat (angles up a bit... not a big deal but takes up space).

Exactly the situation in the '03 Sorento, to name just one SUV.  To fold the rear seats flat, one must first flip up the seat bottom and THEN lower the backs.  However, the seat bottom takes up the room normally used by the headrests so off they come.  It also allows a manufacturer to make a smaller wheelbase / vehicle and still maintain decent seating / cargo space.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 06:13:15 pm »
My wife had never noticed the 5 before until we happen to be at a Mazda showroom a few weeks back.  She loved it and wished that Subaru would copy it exactly and add AWD and sell a mid-level equipped version for $24K or so.  I think her suggestion was brilliant.

Hhhm.  Impreza Sedan, Impreza hatch and Impreza "wagon/mini-mini-van?"  Geez, if Subaru brought in a little AWD Yaris competitor and added a three-way Impreza line-up, who would need anything else?

Rolling

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 06:35:43 pm »
A modestly sized turbo adjusted to provide a wide torque curve and a Haldex differential in the middle shouldn't be so hard to do. Mazda already offers MS3, MS6, and CX7 with turbos, and a number of Haldex based AWD offerings. Turbo fours can and do deliver better fuel economy than some V6s, albiet they tend to use premium gas and synthetic oil. But when you look at the 2.0T from VWAG getting 6.5L / 100km on the highway and having a torque curve flatter than Kansas, it's uplifting.

As to your other point, do you mean adding toys or adding individuality? The former I think of as "options", like Satnav, XM radio, multirow climate control, power liftgate...the latter I think of as somewhat more "accessories" type of thing, like roof diffusers, body kit, bike carrier, Thule / roof rack, aftermarket alloys....

I see the latter being possible and profitable for dealers...don't have to install at the factory which improves things.
[/quote]

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. If Mazda used the motor that’s in the MazdaSpeed (3&7) and tuned it a bit to deliver all that juicy torque down low ,and keep it flat as the VW’s, it could  probably be decreased in displacement(decrease the bore). That could strengthen the block, and with new technologies maybe they can make it run on regular gasoline, or get better fuel economy than the current turbo 4.

What I was suggesting for this fictional vehicle, could be an opportunity for Mazda. If Mazda were to build it, and it was:
-   Lower in base price than the current CX-7.
-   Maybe had a two liter 4 cylinder Turbo engine with the flat torque curve.
-   AWD, and still maintained the 2/2/2 seating.
-   5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
-   Came with enough standard options that satisfied most sports minded buyers.

That could be winner. What I meant by offering the customer a long list of optional equipment, was exactly what you listed. I would also like to see on the option list:
-Suspension components & wheel packages
- Engine & Transmission fluid coolers
-6 speed manual Transmission
- Locking center Differential
-Limited slip differential front and back.

I know I’m probably getting carried away, and a fully loaded MazdaSpeed 5 would than probably cost more than a base CX-7….But it’s just a dream right now anyways.