Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe  (Read 8377 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:56 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Nissan Altima coupe

2008 Nissan Altima coupeYou can get all the performance you need from the base four-cylinder Altima Coupe, even when equipped with the optional continuously variable transmission, says Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.  But the stylish Coupe lacks headroom and trunk space, he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12408
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 10:02:11 am »
Good review. I was also pleasantly surprised at the performance delivered by the 2.5l / CVT combo and found that the CVT really seemed particularly well-matched to this engine, getting the most out of it without ever feeling strained in so doing.

Re: "I question the need for the optional 270-hp V6."  Dude, it has absolutely nothing to do with need and absolutely everything to do with want.  I drive the 3.5 SE 6MT sedan and I can tell you that the VQ snarl and frenetic rush are quite addictive.  I could be perfectly content with the 2.5, but with the VQ I am grinning constantly.

Things I don't like so much about the coupe:

1) The rear and rear three-quarters styling is dramatic and attractive (I see way more G35 and 350Z here that anything Pontiac), but they could have done a bit more with the front end styling to distinguish Coupe from sedan.  Have a look at the pic below and see how fast you can spot which is which:

2) 18" wheels should at least be optional equipment and a moderate drop to reduce the huge wheel gap should be standard.

Overall, I think  Nissan did an excellent job with this vehicle.  While I still cling to the hope that one day they will resurrect an affordable rwd coupe such as the dearly departed 240SX, this one should have broader appeal.

On the utility side of the equation, the Altima suffers from traditional Coupe limitations.  It is interesting that Honda took a very different route - delivering an Accord Coupe fully 8" longer than its Nissan counterpart (indeed, longer than the Altima Sedan).  I would guess that it will deliver more rear-seat and trunk space, but it remains to be seen whether sporty coupe shoppers will buy into the "big is beautiful" dimensions.

Jaeger

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:16:15 am »
One of the features mentioned in the article that is  included in the bundled package " console lighting "  what exactly is this feature? I assume it must be ambient lighting of some sort that lights uo the gear shifter area?

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 02:23:53 pm »
Well all the Nissan cars looks a like now except for the Versa so you shouldn't expect them to make the coupe different from the sedan.

Anyhow it's a great car but for me the 350Z is still the best, although way more expensive, Nissan coupe.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:39:19 pm »
Well all the Nissan cars looks a like now except for the Versa so you shouldn't expect them to make the coupe different from the sedan.

Anyhow it's a great car but for me the 350Z is still the best, although way more expensive, Nissan coupe.

:iagree:

I am starting to see this coupe market as being a bit ho-hum as they all are startig to look the same to me. I don't get the segment very well - turn a family sedan into a two-door, give it front wheel drive, call it a coupe, and everyone suddenly thinks they are driving a sports car?? Gimme a break. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the coupes per se, but if I were after a two-door car I could have fun with, it wouldn't have front wheel drive.
JWW

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12408
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 04:08:19 pm »
I don't get the segment very well - turn a family sedan into a two-door....

I'm not in the segment personally, but I get it - much as I did in '98 when I bought an Accord Coupe.  No kids, recently married, needed a modicum of praticality but wanted a bit more style than the more pedestrian 4-door with the same reliability.  I think that pretty much describes who will be buying the Accord and Altima coupes.  As for "turning a family sedan into a 2-door" - platform-sharing is really the only answer for what will be a comparatively low-volume product.  These things are expensive enough - I can't imagine the cost if a dedicated platform were factored in.

give it front wheel drive, call it a coupe, and everyone suddenly thinks they are driving a sports car?? Gimme a break.

See above re. platform-sharing.  They didn't so much "give it FWD" - that's the platform they used.  There have been more than a few successful FWD coupes in the past - particularly at affordable price points.  Besides, not everyone wants to hang the tail out.  As for "everybody thinks they're driving a sports car" - who is "everybody", exactly?  I have read a good bit about both the new Altima and Accord Coupes and have yet to see them so-described.  They are meant to be sporty, practical, stylish and fun-to-drive.  They are not hard-core sports cars, nor do they pretend to be.  Nobody is going to cross-shop the Accord Coupe and the S2000.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the coupes per se, but if I were after a two-door car I could have fun with, it wouldn't have front wheel drive.

Nothing wrong with your preference here - but it is far from universal.  Prelude and RSX drivers managed to have no small amount of fun behind the wheel of their rides.  Plus, what have you really got to choose from at a remotely comparable price point in a RWD coupe?  Not everyone wants a Mustang - and  the hard-core domestic fans aren't shopping Accord and Altima anyway.  I'm still hoping that Nissan will bring back a contemporary RWD 240SX - but I can understand the economics behind why they haven't.

Jaeger

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 03:24:31 pm »
Once can argue well that some of these "imports" FWD with LSD performs a whole lot better then the mustang around a corner.

Also the only real difference between the RWD and FWD in everyday use isn't that great. Unless you go to a track does it really matters?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:29 pm »
I saw one in traffic today.  Found the rear end unattractive and akin to the old Chev Coupe product (Monte Carlo?) that I thought didn't work very well.

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 06:40:28 pm »
Once can argue well that some of these "imports" FWD with LSD performs a whole lot better then the mustang around a corner.

Also the only real difference between the RWD and FWD in everyday use isn't that great. Unless you go to a track does it really matters?

You can feel a difference in the way the car turns.  It's not entirely about which performs better, but the way the car reacts when you're turning the wheel.  I like the RWD rotation vs a FWD push. 

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 08:07:30 pm »
Great info Jaegar, thanks.

I am looking forward to trying the V6 coupe. (A friend of mine wants me to test drive it for her. She is paraplegic and would require a special set-up installed after she takes possession of the car, so cannot drive it before purchasing.... Yes, my friend is an amazing woman.  :))

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 08:15:25 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the coupes per se, but if I were after a two-door car I could have fun with, it wouldn't have front wheel drive.

Nothing wrong with your preference here - but it is far from universal.  Prelude and RSX drivers managed to have no small amount of fun behind the wheel of their rides.

Not to mention the hordes of GTI, Cooper S, and Mazdaspeed3 fans.

mdxtasy

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:06:25 am »
I saw one in traffic today.  Found the rear end unattractive and akin to the old Chev Coupe product (Monte Carlo?) that I thought didn't work very well.

I prefer the coupe's regular lights over the sedan's gimmicky and outdated 'altezza' style ones. 

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:11 am »
Not to mention the hordes of GTI, Cooper S, and Mazdaspeed3 fans.
Personally, I don't see either of these three as being comparable to the new sedan-conversion-to-coupe products like the Accord and Altima. I have every confidence that they will continue to sell - I just wouldn't put my $$ into one, that's all. Now - a Cooper S or GTI - that's a very different story indeed.

I did see an Altima coupe for the first time on the road on the weekend, and it didn't really do much for me. Not that I found it unattractive per se - it just didn't do much for me, that's all.

ghost

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:28 am »
The Altima coupe joins the ranks with the like of G6 coupe, accord coupe and the eclipse. It's not bad. Interior's much improved although I didn't like the weird looking steering wheel.

see what I mean?

Banzai!!!!

Dare I say a poor-man's G35 coupe?...  most buyers wouldn't really care about the driving dynamics b/t an RWD vs FWD these days.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:44:52 am by ghost »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 12:41:06 pm »
I must admit that I do like the looks of the interior - such a huge improvement over the previous gen model Altima for sure.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:21 pm »

I prefer the coupe's regular lights over the sedan's gimmicky and outdated 'altezza' style ones. 

I agree. My sentra has the gimmicky ones and each time I look at them I think eeeeeee too much silvery bits. But that's only when close up.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 01:05:45 am »

I agree. My sentra has the gimmicky ones and each time I look at them I think eeeeeee too much silvery bits. But that's only when close up.

:iagree: I'm sure glad Nissan didn't give the Versa the same treatment. Luckily, it - and the Maxima and Altima Coupe - managed to dodge the tacky-tail light bullet.

Generally, I like the looks of the Altima Coupe. It's evocative of the Infiniti G37 in profile but unfortunately looks too much like a Pontiac G6 from the rear. That and the fact that it's FWD wouldn't deter me from driving one, though... ;D
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 10:20:36 am »
.... I'm sure glad Nissan didn't give the Versa the same treatment. Luckily, it - and the Maxima and Altima Coupe - managed to dodge the tacky-tail light bullet.

Jeweled tail lights have been quite popular in Japan and Europe over recent years, but mostly with the tuning crowd. Every time I go to the UK I see plenty of tuned pocket-rockets with them. They look kinda neat at first, but grow old very quickly. The winter played havoc with the jeweled tail lights on our 02 Alitima. Lots of smalls scuffs and scratches.