Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP  (Read 80183 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:33 am »
I wonder how hard it is to take off, it could be good for the winter time
Our hardtop for the 323 CIC takes two about 3 min to put on or off

mar1990

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2007, 08:06:29 am »
Bah.

I wonder if its available in black, and if a casket will fit in it.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2007, 10:26:23 am »
Thanks for the test-drive, Wing.  Interestingly, you gave it a more positive review than either MT or C&D.

For those concerned about practicality, here's a solution to both the roof problem and the cargo problem.  Transform your Solstice GXP into an affordable, RWD three-door hatchback.  So long as "convertible" isn't a necessary part of "toy" for you, this would offer an amazing mix of fun, practicality, and affordability:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/16/detroit-show-wrapup-edag-pontiac-solstice-wagonlet-in-the-flesh/

EDAG hasn't released a production hardtop roof yet, I think, but it's only a matter of time until somebody does.

I think I just threw up. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

UmroAyyar

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:21 am »
I am waiting for someone to come forward and compare this hardtop with the M Coupe.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2007, 10:29:53 am »
 :hurl:

That's similar to the transformation that Britney Spears made....
Everyone hates us until they need us.

mdxtasy

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2007, 10:32:43 am »
Thanks for the test-drive, Wing.  Interestingly, you gave it a more positive review than either MT or C&D.

For those concerned about practicality, here's a solution to both the roof problem and the cargo problem.  Transform your Solstice GXP into an affordable, RWD three-door hatchback.  So long as "convertible" isn't a necessary part of "toy" for you, this would offer an amazing mix of fun, practicality, and affordability:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/16/detroit-show-wrapup-edag-pontiac-solstice-wagonlet-in-the-flesh/

Does adding the hardtop remove that big hump in the trunk?  The space still doesn't have a flat floor for anything. 

avtoller

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2007, 10:59:42 am »
Bah.

:laugh:  Anyone else remember the modified XKE from "Harold and Maude?  ??? :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12407
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 11:18:22 am »
Bah.

:rofl: Damn, that was funny!  :rofl:

I am not sure I could live with the trunk space even if practicality were near the bottom of my purchase criteria.  Small trunk is one thing, zero trunk is quite another.

And for sure there is no way I part with $40k when they couldn't even bother to design a decent top.  I mean, this thing was designed from the ground up as a convertible right?  A top that opens and closes is what makes it a convertible, right?  How in the world does the design of the top get relegated to the afterthought status that this wretched thing seems to suggest?  It's not like they haven't had several years worth of Miatas as an example of how to do it right.  Unbelievable.

I know, I know - it scoots along quite nicely and hugs a corner - but is there any reason why those commendable attributes should preclude a modicum of cargo capacity, or why they should require proficiency in kung fu just to work the top?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2007, 11:19:35 am »
Anyone remember this thread?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,53834.0.html

The haters, they be hatin'.

I still love the look of these things. The extra boost makes it that much better. Then again I commute by bike/motorcycle 8 months of the year.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

avtoller

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 11:27:17 am »
The top is a "retro feature" - it takes one back to the 1950s and the likes of the MGA and TR3.  ;D ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 11:27:27 am »

Even if one would fit, I still wouldn't be caught dead in it.  ;D

avtoller

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 11:29:29 am »

Even if one would fit, I still wouldn't be caught dead in it.  ;D

O0 O0 O0 O0 :halffro: :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 12:38:31 pm »
Some food for thought.

The Lotus Elise, holy grail of small roadsters, has a roof that removes, rather than folds, so I assume you can't open the top while sitting in the car.  When it removes, it uses up much of the trunk (which is only four cubic feet to begin with).  Yet I have never once heard a thread about a Lotus Elise go on a tangent about its cargo space.  To compare, that's ALL people ever say about the Solstice GXP and Sky Red Line.  Why the discrepancy?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-07-15-lotus_x.htm

The Elise's trunk:
http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1358

When CanadianDriver test-drove the Elise, the vast majority of the review was about the driving experience.  This is the extent of moaning that occurred about the trunk:

While the Elise is a blast to drive, there are a few negatives. The trunk is smallish. It's right behind the engine and accessed through the same opening. There is no front trunk, the space being reserved for the radiator.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/06elise.htm

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2007, 01:11:31 pm »
Some food for thought.

The Lotus Elise, holy grail of small roadsters, has a roof that removes, rather than folds, so I assume you can't open the top while sitting in the car.  When it removes, it uses up much of the trunk (which is only four cubic feet to begin with).  Yet I have never once heard a thread about a Lotus Elise go on a tangent about its cargo space.  To compare, that's ALL people ever say about the Solstice GXP and Sky Red Line.  Why the discrepancy?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-07-15-lotus_x.htm

The Elise's trunk:
http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1358

When CanadianDriver test-drove the Elise, the vast majority of the review was about the driving experience.  This is the extent of moaning that occurred about the trunk:

While the Elise is a blast to drive, there are a few negatives. The trunk is smallish. It's right behind the engine and accessed through the same opening. There is no front trunk, the space being reserved for the radiator.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/06elise.htm

:fiver:

It is because it’s a domestic car, if it were from Japan or Europe it would be an acceptable compromise to enjoy the driving experience.

mdxtasy

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2007, 01:17:32 pm »
Would it make you happier if people complained about the trunk of the Elise too?   Would that make the Solstice trunk space more acceptable?  It is what it is...trunk space blows.  Elise, Solstice....it sucks.  Happy?   ::)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »
Even with a small 4 cf of space you can still put something in it compared to almost nothing in the Solstice.

From the article.

Trunk space is sufficient for the removable top and a couple of backpacks, gym bags or briefcases.

Still, if all people can find wrong with the car is that the trunk is too small or non existent that I think that speaks volumes about the Solstice.

Personally the Solstice would come off my list even if we kept the wagon.  I would still want a small car that I could use to run errands for get out of town for the weekend.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:07 pm »
How is the trunk space in the 911, MD?  :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:41 pm »
Would it make you happier if people complained about the trunk of the Elise too?   Would that make the Solstice trunk space more acceptable?  It is what it is...trunk space blows.  Elise, Solstice....it sucks.  Happy?   ::)

One down 600 million to go :)  Mitlov makes a valid point and I cannot figure out why all the bashing... so I threw in the GM thing as many love to bash GM despite their efforts.

Mitlov

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2007, 01:27:25 pm »

I'm not asking you to like the Solstice GXP.  But for the record, when CanadianDriver reviewed the Elise, you didn't say "the trunk space blows; it's too impractical; I'd never want to own this car."  You said:

A shop in Calgary!  WOOHOO!

Should make for some serious hoots around the race track.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,45294.0.html  Are you seriously going to tell me that you haven't been harder on the Solstice than the Elise, when both are good for "serious hoots around the race track" and neither are practical daily drivers?  Just saying.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2007, 01:34:57 pm »
Some food for thought.

You raise a good point, Mitlov.  However, few articles I've read about the Elise suggest it's anything but a raw, track-ready performance machine.  To that end, one expects compromises (bumpy, loud, contankerous in some ways) because it is the best machine for the task it was designed for, short of an Ariel Atom.  The Solstice -- even in GXP guise -- is not raw and sporting enough to pull the "true track-ready car" excuse -- especially when Pontiac claims to target the likes of Miatae, Z4s and 350Zs as their direct competitors.  

Sandman, it's unfair to say that we're critical of the Solstice / Sky because it's a domestic.  You know I'm open-minded enough to applaud great cars when it's warranted, but you can't deny that GM seems to have simply pulled the Solstice out of the oven before the engineers had fully baked it.  That top design is simply silly in this day and age.  The Corvette is a world-class sports car.  I'd do many awful things to have a new C6.  Nobody seems to understand the full-szie pick-up market the way the domestic makers do (the new Sierra / Silverado?  Truck masterpieces).  Even the little neon SRT-4 was remarkable for all its faults because it was dedicated to being the meanest, baddest performance economy car around and succeeded.  The Solstice is not a stand out in anything even if it does a number of things pretty well.

There's no doubt in my mind that the GXP is a remarkable performance machine and is a lot of fun to drive.  And, following James' praises of driving the car (indeed, very high praise from a hard-drivin' S2000 owner!), I'm willing to heap even more kudos on GM for producing a legitimate sports car -- and at what seems to be decent value.  :thumbup:

BUT, if the competitors can produce fun-to-drive, sexy sports roadsters that are reliable, have functional cargo space AND easy-to-operate tops, then there's no excuse for GM to have not been able to do the same.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:44:01 pm by Giant Dwarf »
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla