Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP  (Read 80182 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 05:51:48 pm »

Another aspect to consider of the practical-minded, James writes about lowering the top, "Swing the latch down, hit the “trunk” release button, hop out and flop the top down and slam the “trunk” down and you are away."  Without exaggeration, in the time it takes to simply READ that statement (let alone perform the actions), I can drop the top, then raise and latch it again on the MX-5. 

This by FAR my biggest reason for not liking this car (apart from the styling and the shabby interior materials).  There is NO WAY that you should have to get out of a roadster to lower the top. It's so offensive to me.  Imagine it starts to rain, and you are in traffic or at a light.  You have to jump out to put the top up??  Stupid, poor design.  I could live with the trunk space issue.  But not the BS you have to go through to put the top down...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 05:54:08 pm »

Another aspect to consider of the practical-minded, James writes about lowering the top, "Swing the latch down, hit the “trunk” release button, hop out and flop the top down and slam the “trunk” down and you are away."  Without exaggeration, in the time it takes to simply READ that statement (let alone perform the actions), I can drop the top, then raise and latch it again on the MX-5. 

This by FAR my biggest reason for not liking this car (apart from the styling and the shabby interior materials).  There is NO WAY that you should have to get out of a roadster to lower the top. It's so offensive to me.  Imagine it starts to rain, and you are in traffic or at a light.  You have to jump out to put the top up??  Stupid, poor design.  I could live with the trunk space issue.  But not the BS you have to go through to put the top down...

Atleast I can sit in the Solstice with the top up, I cannot say that with a MX-5

Mitlov

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 06:01:55 pm »
I can't believe we've had three pages of discussion about the practicalities of the roof and trunk on a turbocharged-frickin-roadster and essentially no discussion of the driving experience.  :o  Jeebus folks, get out and live a little.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 06:08:49 pm »
hang on Miltov... where just trying to get the roof down  :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 06:12:19 pm »
I can't believe we've had three pages of discussion about the practicalities of the roof and trunk on a turbocharged-frickin-roadster and essentially no discussion of the driving experience.  :o  Jeebus folks, get out and live a little.

That's fine for YOU.  Some of us not only appreciate good driving dynamics, but good design as well......

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 06:20:15 pm »

Is that kinda like discussing having a supermodel for a wife, and complaining her lack of ... of ... of ...cooking ability?  :)

Those people I see driving the Solstice are using them as a 2nd, or 3rd vehicle, only come out on weekends and on good weather days.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »
^^^^Maybe..but as with all car styles, there are some basic "rules" that should be adhered to as closely as possible.  And for me, you should NOT have to get out of a roadster to put the top down. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »
Then how would you feel about putting up plastic side curtains in the 1st gen Viper during a rain storm?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 06:41:46 pm »
My biggest complaint about the Viper (my buddy has one) is that your leg begins to cook/burn/melt from the extreme heat coming from the tunnel.  It's VERY uncomfortable, and I have never felt heat like this from the inside of any road car....The snow would feel pretty good in this case.  :)

Sir Meow

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 08:03:23 pm »
Funny wing always leaves the post, that I post if don\\\\\\\'t make sense. :-*

Putting it back up, though, is another adventure all together and probably why most all Solstice and Sky roadsters I see running about have the top up. The process is simple enough: pop the “trunk,” pull the top out and slam the trunk down, re-latch the top and clip the top back onto the “trunk” lid. Sounds simple until you try it. The top never aligns itself with the window frame, so you flip it up and get in and realize it’s misaligned, move it around a bit and get the pins lined up — then comes the hard part — latching it down. The latch does not fit well at all, at least not on my tester, and it requires a good pull a whack with your hand and maybe some prying.

Haha so in other words totaly naff....How could GM get that so wrong. 40 grand motor too...hahaha.  :rofl:

ghost

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 08:09:46 pm »
Solstice is so pretty, but the license plate sure kills it. Interestingly I have yet to see too many Saturn Sky considering it looks even better.

Mitlov

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 08:57:53 pm »
And for a different flavor (including discussion of how it is to drive, which I can't help but mention is missing from both Day 1 and Day 2's reviews):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0610_sport_convertible_coupe_comparison/

Third place: Nissan 350Z roadster
A smart choice with generous helpings of fun and practicality--and serious good looks. And wouldn't a lighter, cheaper version sans the power top machinery be neat?

Second place: BMW Z4 3.0si
If you can afford the best, we're envious. The Z4 recalibrates your expectations of how involving a sports car can be--peerless in quality, with pinpoint accurate road manners.

First place: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Despite its sizeable warts, the GXP is a seductress blurred and standing still. The price of admission to big-league sports car performance and style has just been slashed.

Unfortunately, their full article does not appear to be online.  It was about four times as long as what you see there.  Their conclusions: it offers comparable performance (if not refinement) to the BMW for half the price, and it handles far better, and is generally peppier, than the heavy 350Z.  They were hard on the interiors of both the Pontiac and the Nissan, but for different reasons.

Mitlov

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 09:09:02 pm »
To clarify, I'm not a Solstice GXP fanboy, I just get tired about hearing about the car's roof and trunk and not the rest of the car.  It's a toy.  We all know the two practical shortcomings by now.  So let's talk at least a little bit about whether or not it's a fun toy, no?

The Pontiac Solstice GXP was no more powerful than the Mazdaspeed 3, but it turned a slightly quicker lap, owing to its balanced rear-wheel-drive layout. Its handling is remarkably neutral, with sharp turn-in and a touch of oversteer while powering out of a corner that gets more pronounced as the tires heat up. With the wide ratios in the roadster’s gearbox, we could run the entire course in third and fourth gears, with one brief drop into second for Turn 12 (Oak Tree). Thanks to the dealer-installed heavy-duty brake pads and brake-fluid-reservoir extension, the smallish binders maintained their stopping ability even after several hard laps. The GXP’s willing and stable behavior provides convincing evidence that the car was no stranger to the racetrack during its development process.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/13178/2007-pontiac-solstice-gxp.html

There’s nothing like a big power boost to enliven an already capable chassis. Even though the GXP still likes to understeer at the limit, picking apart corners is much more entertaining now that the rear tires have a chance of breaking loose under power. In fact, this chassis so easily accommodates the added power that we hope Pontiac has plans to add at least another 50 horsepower, if not more. A big flaw that will keep drivers guessing, however, is nonlinear steering with effort that doesn’t seem to build appropriately.

The engine is responsive, but it does take a second to wake up from idle, a penalty of the high-boost turbo. After a startlingly abrupt clutch engagement, the GXP pulls smartly through the first two gears, but by the top of third, it starts to taper off. The sound is now a constant moan as it oozes through the revs; it’s not invigorating, but gone is the harshness as well as offensive noise of the base Solstice. Interior sound is 5 dBA quieter at wide-open throttle.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11596/2007-pontiac-solstice-gxp.html

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16:53 pm »
My biggest complaint about the Viper (my buddy has one) is that your leg begins to cook/burn/melt from the extreme heat coming from the tunnel.  It's VERY uncomfortable, and I have never felt heat like this from the inside of any road car....The snow would feel pretty good in this case.  :)

Bah, once it scars over a few times you can barely feel it.   ;D
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 09:18:48 pm »
Heheheh....I wish.  LOL  It's like having all of the heaters in your car on full blast just pointing at the side of your leg.  But more of a burning sensation than warm.  It's terrible...(but the car is a torque monster!)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 10:09:27 pm »

Ahh... but that's exactly the point.  Why should we only 'get out and live a little' when we've not got any groceries to pick up?  Or luggage to bring?  Or when it's sure not to rain?

I get out and live every trip I take to work, to the store, or simply takin' the long way home from anywhere.  ;)

If we're lookin' for a raw, fair-weather-and-weekends-only vehicle for $40k, I'd rather a very slightly-used S2000 or build a replica Lotus 7... with a Miata engine.   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 10:13:20 pm »
I place cars like this in almost the same category as motorcycles in terms of being suited strictly for fun and being basically useless for everday use. Complaints about the top or trunk on a Solstice are like complaining that your new sport bike can't carry your clubs or that your feet get wet in the rain.

And yes, I realize that some people use a motorcycle as a daily driver but everyone knows they're weirdos.  :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Wolfe

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 12:03:08 am »
And for a different flavor (including discussion of how it is to drive, which I can't help but mention is missing from both Day 1 and Day 2's reviews):

Wing's general formula is as follows:

Day 1: Intro, some basic specs, initial impressions

Day 2: discussion of design, interior, features/equipment, quirks and any unusual issues

Day 3: Driving impressions

Day 4: Verdict/conclusion

IMO it makes good sense to leave driving impressions until later so as to get more seat time before writing.

BTW day 3 blog is up now and I'm very surprised at the close comparison to the S2000. I would have expected the Solstice's turbo engine to have a very different character to the high reving Vtec of the S2000.

mdxtasy

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2007, 12:12:01 am »
I place cars like this in almost the same category as motorcycles in terms of being suited strictly for fun and being basically useless for everday use. Complaints about the top or trunk on a Solstice are like complaining that your new sport bike can't carry your clubs or that your feet get wet in the rain.

And yes, I realize that some people use a motorcycle as a daily driver but everyone knows they're weirdos.  :)

The primary purpose of a toy car is to have fun.  I had fun driving my Miata and have loads of fun driving my 911 now.  I drove my Miata to the store to pick up groceries, to go run errands and pick up a few things from Costco or Staples.  I took it to work.  I took it out for fun.  It was my toy but it was also somewhat practical by offering limited space.  My Porsche does the same thing (but with car seats).  The purpose of a toy car is NOT only for a Sunday cruise or to take out for a dinner and a movie.  A toy car is not like a motorcycle.  A car occupies a larger footprint....and to take up so much more space but still offer the same cargo carrying capacity of a motorcycle is laughable. 

Mitlov

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2007, 04:01:26 am »
Thanks for the test-drive, Wing.  Interestingly, you gave it a more positive review than either MT or C&D.

For those concerned about practicality, here's a solution to both the roof problem and the cargo problem.  Transform your Solstice GXP into an affordable, RWD three-door hatchback.  So long as "convertible" isn't a necessary part of "toy" for you, this would offer an amazing mix of fun, practicality, and affordability:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/16/detroit-show-wrapup-edag-pontiac-solstice-wagonlet-in-the-flesh/

EDAG hasn't released a production hardtop roof yet, I think, but it's only a matter of time until somebody does.