Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP  (Read 80181 times)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 11:20:21 am »
Solstice owners need to get a small trailer to compensate for the lack of a trunk.  Wing tows a trailer (for other reasons) with his S2000.   ;D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 11:27:30 am »
Aftermarket Boot Rack, and color matching suitcases.  :)

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 11:41:28 am »
that really enhances the look of the car  :hurl:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 11:44:13 am »
Personalize the vehicle, make it more unique and distinct.  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 11:57:07 am »
Mission accomplished?
Sales have completely tanked of the Solstice in the US.

Sales have tanked in the States?  Link please?  As of December 2006, it was out-selling the Miata by 20%.

Despite being a little rough around the edges, the Pontiac Solstice over the last 11 months, has outsold the Zoom-Zoom Miata. To date Pontiac has moved 18,361 Solstices to Mazda's 15,873 Miatas. So stunning styling is a victor over a decade-plus of refinement.

So a big "Congrats!" goes to the Pontiac boys.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1984

The Solstice has taken nearly a 20% dip in 2007 (which places it at the same sales numbers as the Miata, unless Miata sales numbers jumped in 2007 compared to 2006), but there's still a waiting list to get a Saturn Sky.

The sales of the Pontiac Solstice have been down 19 percent for the first half of 2007. Also, according to Autodata, sales of other Pontiac models are down 17 percent as compared to other GM brands which are down 9 percent.

On the other hand, the Saturn Sky, which is also built on GM’s Kappa platform like the Solstice, is flying sky high. GM only has about one month’s worth of the Sky available as buyers wait several weeks for their Sky to be delivered.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/08/24/pontiac-solstice-sales-down-starun-sky-still-flying-sky-high/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.egmcartech.com%2F2007%2F08%2F24%2Fpontiac-solstice-sales-down-starun-sky-still-flying-sky-high%2F&frame=true

See also:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-solstice-sales-decline-saturn-sky-still-in-demand.html

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:07 pm »

(4)  I've heard that the Solstice is doing great in autocross right now against the Solstice.  It's got a fantastic chassis for racing.

So, who's winning?  The Solstice, or the Solstice?   :D

I always admire this car when I see it; it's got great proportions.  However, having driven the MX-5, and being the type of buyer for whom functionality is paramount, I would find it difficult to plunk down $40K for a very impractical toy.

Off with your head.

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 12:58:20 pm »
What happens when the average person wants to take the car on a run to the golf course

Can you fit a golf bag (not to mention two golf bags) into a Miata's trunk?  How about an S2000?  Or the two mini-trunks on a Boxster?  I'd like some photographic evidence.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »
What happens when the average person wants to take the car on a run to the golf course

Can you fit a golf bag (not to mention two golf bags) into a Miata's trunk?  How about an S2000?  Or the two mini-trunks on a Boxster?  I'd like some photographic evidence.

Just show up at the course alone and put the clubs in the passenger seat  ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »

I take my truck  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:57 pm »

Of course, that works in the Solstice too  ;)  The point I was trying to make is that the Solstice's competition aren't exactly Camrys when it comes to practicality.  We're talking about a trunk that's too small 95% of the time instead of 80% of the time.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 01:25:23 pm »
What else is in the price zone of the GXP?

MX-5/Miata?

Sky? - I know - it's the same vehicle

The Solstice is FWD, right? What about Mistubishi Eclipse Spider?

Just curious what else is really in this category to see what the apples-to-apples comparison would be.

And for the record - I suppose I would be less worried about golf club space as I would be about ability to carry luggage for 2 people on a road trip over a few days.

JWW

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 01:27:57 pm »

Mitlov my buddy has a the hardtop convertible MX5 and yes he can JUST get his clubs/bag in the trunk, I have seen him do it, you clould never get 2 bags in though..

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:29 pm »

No, the Solstice is RWD.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 01:33:30 pm »

MX-5/Miata?

Just curious what else is really in this category to see what the apples-to-apples comparison would be.

And for the record - I suppose I would be less worried about golf club space as I would be about ability to carry luggage for 2 people on a road trip over a few days.

If it is FWD, that would make it a rear engine vehicle.  :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 01:35:46 pm »
Off with your head.

Talk to me when YOU buy a freaking two-seater convertible with no trunk, peckerhead.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 01:36:16 pm »
But can you tow a camper with it?  :P

Mitlov

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 01:39:10 pm »

MX-5/Miata?

No other roadster on the market competes in terms of both power and price with the Solstice GXP. 

The 350Z and S2000 might be comparable if they weren't significantly more expensive (in the States, the price difference is $28k versus $34k or $35k...a huge difference).  The Miata compares nicely with the base Solstice, but has a 90 horsepower deficit compared to the GXP.  The Eclipse Spyder is FWD--heck, it's based on the Galant midsize sedan--and it can't handle with a proper RWD roadster like the Solstice GXP.  The Mustang offers power and a softtop, but could never handle like a Solstice.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 01:39:54 pm »
But can you tow a camper with it?  :P

Camper? Depends what you want to be sleeping IN or ON.  :) Might be Mighty Happy Campers with what the Solstice can provide.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 02:10:24 pm »
Off with your head.

Talk to me when YOU buy a freaking two-seater convertible with no trunk, peckerhead.

Not going to happen.. :(

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:18 pm »

Yes you can fit a golf bag in the trunk of the MX5 (albeit with the drivers removed).
http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=39231

Sure the trunk issue isn't the only topic of discussion about the Solstice, but it certainly helped a LOT of us make the decision early on.

MX-5 has been outselling the Solstice in Canada for a number of months I believe (search elsewhere in forum if you've got the time) -- the introduction of the folding hardtop this year couldn't have hurt the sales State-side either.  I'm sorry I don't have time to go diggin' for links right now for proof. 

A few other bones of contention?  My car with 42,000 hard-driven kms on it so far has been damn-near flawless.  According to CR, my experience is pretty typical.  The Sol/Sky twins are not recommended, if I recall correctly.

Another aspect to consider of the practical-minded, James writes about lowering the top, "Swing the latch down, hit the “trunk” release button, hop out and flop the top down and slam the “trunk” down and you are away."  Without exaggeration, in the time it takes to simply READ that statement (let alone perform the actions), I can drop the top, then raise and latch it again on the MX-5. 

My car is a daily-driver.  It is (relatively-speaking), cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, reliable and exceptionally fun.  With a set of snow tires it merrily goes about its business all year long.  I take it on long-weekend trips away with my wife and the trunk packed with our luggage.  The Solstice simply could not work for me.

I will concede that the Sky has sexier styling than the MX5.  The Solstice was interesting when it came out -- now it just looks like a faded fad to me.  Styling is subjective.

The GXP has a lot of power and makes it a formidible performer.  Mazda is bringing a Mazdaspeed version to market and I'd bet it won't cost as much as the GXP. 

Pontiac has done a good job of offering an Auto-X ready package for the Solstice and they're doing well in SCCA.  However, a few minor adjustments to the MX-5 places them right up there with the Solstices by what I've been reading.  At that point, the MX-5 makes a great track-ready car that's reliable, efficient, more practical and competitive.  The Solstice is still a (horribly impractical) Solstice.

I'm not so closed-minded to not applaud GM for the kappa twins, but let's face it, Mazda has had a couple decades to perfect the Miata now and it shows.  There's still room for improvement, and for the first time, there's real, genuine competition for the world's best-selling roadster (the MR-S, Del Sol and Capri never really lived up).
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla