Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP  (Read 80159 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:33 pm »
Picture Gallery:  2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Day 1:

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Click Image to Enlarge
Finally, I get a convertible I can test. Oh, wait, I did have the New Beetle... anyway, a convertible! Hopefully the weather network is wrong and it doesn't rain all week, as this week's ride is the Pontiac Solstice GXP, the turbocharged performance car from GM that has been turning heads since it was revealed in Detroit a few years back. More ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:21:55 am »
Think the MSRP of $40,000 is a good and competitive price for this car. Love the looks of it. Seen a few around here already.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:12 am »
Very impressed with the power it gives out, but I don't know...the Miata has been top notch for almost 20 years.

I'd rather get the Sky over the Solstice though. Looks better, IMO.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:44:56 pm »
When I noticed this car in the parking lot I made sure that I walked by it to check it out. I should have know it was your new tester. It looks really nice both inside and out. I like the  Sky also. $40 K does seem a bit steep but in keeping with what car manufactures normally do is start high and work your way downs from there to hit the sales that you want.
This car isn't priced to sell and move big numbers.
P.S. This car is 28K US across the border!!
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:07:32 pm »
but if you were shopping for a 2 seater sport car, and it was choice between a Solstice or a Miata. I know what I rather have.

If you want a 260hp turbo engine (which the GXP has) instead of a naturally-aspirated 170hp engine, there is no contest.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:41:24 pm »
Really like the looks :thumbup: there are a few in the nieghbourhood and they are real head turners with the roof down..  But an american four banger, especially with a turbo turns me off.. if it had a V6 now your talking and maybe I could get my head around $40K

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:05:35 pm »
Really like the looks :thumbup: there are a few in the nieghbourhood and they are real head turners with the roof down..  But an american four banger, especially with a turbo turns me off.. if it had a V6 now your talking and maybe I could get my head around $40K

Mallett offers a conversion for GM's 400hp LS2 V8:

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »
wow :o thats better but why not go all the way to

Turbocharged LS7 Package - $86,320.50

Everything in the Loaded Package PLUS:
900HP Turbocharged LS7 Engine
Dry Sump Oil System
6-speed Tremec Transmission
3.73 Differential
Custom Built Drive Shaft
Custom Built Half Shafts
750HP Rear Wheel

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 02:46:25 pm »
I am intrigued by the Solstise, but find that it looks are good with the top down, but not so good when it's up.

What I can't figure out is why this car is better than a Miata (or MX-5 or whatever Mazda is calling it now-a-days). I even find that the Mazda looks good with the top up. And at least there is some boot space with the ragg top down.
JWW

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 03:09:30 pm »
I am intrigued by the Solstise, but find that it looks are good with the top down, but not so good when it's up.

What I can't figure out is why this car is better than a Miata (or MX-5 or whatever Mazda is calling it now-a-days). I even find that the Mazda looks good with the top up. And at least there is some boot space with the ragg top down.

(1)  Availability of a 260-horsepower turbocharged engine (remember that this review is a review of the turbocharged GXP, not the base-engine Solstice which competes directly with the Miata).

(2)  Aesthetics.  Maybe this doesn't matter so much with people movers, but it does matter more to people with "toys" like roadsters.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, Sky > Solstice > Miata, looks-wise.

(3)  A more planted feel than the Miata.  The Miata is agile, but according to some reviewers, skittish-feeling.  This is the opposite.  Once again, a personal taste issue.

(4)  I've heard that the Solstice is doing great in autocross right now against the Solstice.  It's got a fantastic chassis for racing.

There's more to cars than good trunk space--especially when we're talking about performance and enthusiast cars--and I wish that not EVERY thread about the Solstice/Sky turned into a discussion of the Solstice's trunk.  The point has been made, now let's talk about the rest of the car.

mdxtasy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 03:34:20 pm »

(1)  Availability of a 260-horsepower turbocharged engine (remember that this review is a review of the turbocharged GXP, not the base-engine Solstice which competes directly with the Miata).

(2)  Aesthetics.  Maybe this doesn't matter so much with people movers, but it does matter more to people with "toys" like roadsters.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, Sky > Solstice > Miata, looks-wise.

(3)  A more planted feel than the Miata.  The Miata is agile, but according to some reviewers, skittish-feeling.  This is the opposite.  Once again, a personal taste issue.

(4)  I've heard that the Solstice is doing great in autocross right now against the Solstice.  It's got a fantastic chassis for racing.

There's more to cars than good trunk space--especially when we're talking about performance and enthusiast cars--and I wish that not EVERY thread about the Solstice/Sky turned into a discussion of the Solstice's trunk.  The point has been made, now let's talk about the rest of the car.

Objection.  Heresay.  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:57:44 pm »
Objection.  Heresay.  ;)

Can you imagine how quiet internet car forums would be if people only posted from personal, first-hand experience?   ;)

mdxtasy

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 03:59:59 pm »
Objection.  Heresay.  ;)

Can you imagine how quiet internet car forums would be if people only posted from personal, first-hand experience?   ;)

I'd have 1/10 my post count.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 08:22:08 pm »
Remind us again how you have to get out of the car to put the roof up or down...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:50:25 am »
Hey, where is the front plate?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 07:04:07 am »
Bob and GM delivered exactly as promised and if all people can complain about is the lack of trunk space I would say mission accomplished.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16:01 am »

So, who's winning?  The Solstice, or the Solstice?   :D

I always admire this car when I see it; it's got great proportions.  However, having driven the MX-5, and being the type of buyer for whom functionality is paramount, I would find it difficult to plunk down $40K for a very impractical toy.

Sir Meow

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 10:53:09 am »
This is a GM that even a GM hate could love, dispite the naff roof. Great loud colour too.

The question is, if shopping for a 2 seater sports car. Solstice or Miata. I know what I rather have.

What I find strange is that I'm being sensor, I wonder if thats the deal with getting these cars, Wing can only get these cars if user say nice things, so more an ad, than a real car
test. B/C he has aloud me to post on other topics here. I was banned for break the rules, just simple for not being like by a few user about 3 of them, and not being like, that is not against the rules.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 11:03:57 am »
Meow, glad that english as a second language course is having such good results :rofl2:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:29:50 am by Allen »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 11:16:01 am »
... People love the looks then buy it and within a year they realize it is about as useful for trips as a motorbike due to no storage space.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car as I mentioned in my first post but dismissing the roof and trunk issues is simple for anyone who doesn't have to drive one on a regular basis.
I am with you on this one - I too like the car (prefer the Sky looks to the Soltice, but appreciate the aesthetics of both cars).

What happens when the average person wants to take the car on a run to the golf course - or worse yet, take off on a 2 or 3 day tour of the eastern townships or new england, or wherever. You gotta be able to live with a vehicle other than to drive around town or make trips that are close to home - which is what you would be limited to if you can't pack anything in it. I think that the trunk issue is going to continue to haunt this car until folks figure out an alternative - like luggage racks a-la MGs of the 60s. I have yet to see any such solution for this.

Having said all this - I'd still like to get one out on a nice sunny day on the Ottawa River Parkway - that would be a nice experience for sure.