Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XR  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XR
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:16:38 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Saturn Outlook XR

2007 Saturn Outlook XRWith the most conservative styling of GM's three new crossover vehicles, the Saturn Outlook is a "great family hauler" with a "stellar ride", says contributor Haney Louka.  However, it's a big vehicle and its 3.6-litre V6 does "struggle."

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Rolling

Re: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XR
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:02:07 pm »
I’m quite impressed with these new Lambda based crossovers from GM. They all consistently show marked improvements in areas that GM has been known in the past to be lacking in.

With the almost “criminal” price difference we Canadians have to pay for a Highlander or Pilot here, as apposed to costs for the same vehicle down south. It makes these GM products that more inviting.

I’ve read that some dealers in Oregon get so many Canadians buying their Toyota’s from them. That they are already getting warning letters from Toyota Head office to “stop selling to Canadians”.

Yeah!!! It’s probably because the Toyota dealers in Canada are crying to Toyota Canada wondering were all their customers are buying Toyotas from.

With a savings of $10,000 - $14,000 Cnd on a Highlander (depending on model & options). I too would do all the paper work and preparation necessary to save that much money. With my luck, by the time I’m ready Toyota and Honda Canada will have put enough pressure on the American dealer to make these transactions much harder to do.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »
I’m quite impressed with these new Lambda based crossovers from GM. They all consistently show marked improvements in areas that GM has been known in the past to be lacking in.

With the almost “criminal” price difference we Canadians have to pay for a Highlander or Pilot here, as apposed to costs for the same vehicle down south. It makes these GM products that more inviting.

I’ve read that some dealers in Oregon get so many Canadians buying their Toyota’s from them. That they are already getting warning letters from Toyota Head office to “stop selling to Canadians”.

Yeah!!! It’s probably because the Toyota dealers in Canada are crying to Toyota Canada wondering were all their customers are buying Toyotas from.

With a savings of $10,000 - $14,000 Cnd on a Highlander (depending on model & options). I too would do all the paper work and preparation necessary to save that much money. With my luck, by the time I’m ready Toyota and Honda Canada will have put enough pressure on the American dealer to make these transactions much harder to do.

Can we have everything in red moved to US vs CDA pricing  ::)

Rolling

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:36:18 pm »
[/quote]

Where is that thread, it sounds like it would be an interesting read?

Rolling

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »

Where is that thread, it sounds like it would be an interesting read?
[/quote]

It's OK I think I found the thread. :)

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:19:27 pm »
The lambda platform almost makes me wanna drive one. Bring on a large diesel engine - as Hyundai has announced for the VeraCruz in 2010.
JWW

Rolling

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:11:36 am »
The lambda platform almost makes me wanna drive one. Bring on a large diesel engine - as Hyundai has announced for the VeraCruz in 2010.

I was in Belgium in 2002 and attended the annual Brussels auto show while I was there. There was a new large Hyundai Terracan 4x4 at the time that had an optional Diesel engine. It had the latest in common rail diesel fuel injectors, and I swear it was also a turbo inline six.

When I go back to the Hyundai’s European sites I see that they only offer a 4 cylinder diesel for that same vehicle now.
 http://www2.hyundai-europe.com/en/showroom/line_up/

Hope they offer a Turbo 6 diesel in the Veracruz sooner than 2010 as they know how to make them, and the rest of the world is already enjoying them. Actually a diesel option on one or more vehicles in Hyundai’s North American line up would do great things.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:38 pm »
Hope they offer a Turbo 6 diesel in the Veracruz sooner than 2010 as they know how to make them, and the rest of the world is already enjoying them. Actually a diesel option on one or more vehicles in Hyundai’s North American line up would do great things.

:iagree:

Greg B.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 07:52:51 pm »

Having a diesel in one of these would make it even more Peterbilt-like than it already is. These things are just too big. 5000 pounds is just a ridiculous size. It's like we're back in 1972 again -- except oil is now $80 a barrel.  :'(

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:22:13 am »

Having a diesel in one of these would make it even more Peterbilt-like than it already is. These things are just too big. 5000 pounds is just a ridiculous size. It's like we're back in 1972 again -- except oil is now $80 a barrel.  :'(
Not sure that would be the case - today's diesels are fast, quiet, and very efficient. The last time I drove a diesel, you could barely tell the difference between it and gasoline.

Besides - these are great big vehicles which are starting to pop up in some of the driveways where there mini-vans used to be. It's not likely that purchasers of the Outlook or it's siblings are looking for performance or handling.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:59:58 am »
Hope they offer a Turbo 6 diesel in the Veracruz sooner than 2010 as they know how to make them, and the rest of the world is already enjoying them.

Just because they know how to "make them" doesn't mean they know how to make them pass diesel-unfriendly North American emissions regulations.

Actually a diesel option on one or more vehicles in Hyundai’s North American line up would do great things.

Agreed.

[/quote]

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »
Just because they know how to "make them" doesn't mean they know how to make them pass diesel-unfriendly North American emissions regulations.
That's what the 2010 date is all about. I remember reading somewhere (Edmunds perhaps?) that the product plan has this engine North-American ready by mid 2009 at the latest.