Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Honda Accord  (Read 14462 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Honda Accord
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:16:24 pm »
Today's First Drive:
2008 Honda Accord

2008 Honda AccordBigger in all key interior and exterior dimensions and offering more horsepower,  the redesigned 2008 Honda Accord sedan and coupe "seem entirely more substantial and advanced," says Senior Editor, Paul Williams.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Shemp

Re: CD Article: 2008 Honda Accord
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:16:31 am »
Front end looks like an old Camry.LOL. Take note GM the 6cyl only comes with a 5 speed too. Whatever.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:21:23 am »
Like someone else noted in the Parking Lot thread on the new Accord, it looks to me like they borrowed the grill from my Sonata and stuck a Honda "H" on top of the Hyundai "H". So what gives - Honda now imitating Hyundai, who were accused of imitating Honda ???

The rear is much better styling than the previous gen, that's for sure, but it still misses the mark for me.

It'll sell really well, I am sure - after all, it's a Honda.
JWW

Sir Meow

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:47:34 am »
The design is so muddle, it doesn\'t flow, this very un-honda.

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:32:58 pm »
I'd be interested to read a back-to-back test of the four-cylinder EX Accord versus the Acura TSX.  Not only does the Accord EX get the more powerful four-cylinder, but it apparently gets a sport suspension according to Motor Trend.

Aesthetically, I think this car is a train wreck, but it sounds like it will be a great transportation appliance for non-enthusiasts and slight-enthusiasts.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »
The design is so muddle, it doesn\'t flow, this very un-honda.
I have always thought that the 03-07 Accord was a muddled design. I think since that time, Honda have been struggling to figure out where they want the Accord to fit in from a design perspective.

They have done well in other arenas with, e.g. the Civic (especially the hatch in Europe and the UK), the Element (love it or hate it - it is the ultimate of economy utility) and the Ridgeline (out-trucking the Americans in the full-size-but-less-than-huge pickup category). Too bad they are leaving it on the table with the Accord - as I think that this car could and should be so much more.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:52:21 pm by jww »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 03:16:56 pm »
I think the front end is quite dramatic - and attractive too!  From my perspective, that front end borrows a lot from the new Camry and a little from the Fusion.  Banded grilles are in the air I guess.  Certainly when put side by side with the previous generation, it stands out as fresh and very much in tune with the current ideas of automotive design.

The dash is also quite nice.  Functional yet elegant with a nicely integrated Navigation screen.  Honda will sell a lot of these puppies.  :)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Design

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:26:43 pm »
From the design standpoint,

this vehicle would have to constitute another miss in a demanding world of vehicular exterior design. In my view, HA 2008 design represents from a distance a "shrunk down" version of latest Acura RL. A number of contributors to this forum have already noticed similarities in between this Honda's grill and Hyundai Sonata's front end. In a similar way, I would add, look at the photo of this car's rear end - it is a rendition of Saturn LS300, now a defunct model. It is quite hard for me to understand why did Honda repeat similar design mistake as it did with previous Accord: mishandle design. Not wanting to blast the distinguished manufacturer, an automotive journalist called the rear end design of the previous Honda "frumpy". To put it out in a polite way, I might add. This time, Toyota Camry won the challenge, as their new sedan has finally emerged from the realm of car design that was always reserved for poorly constructed and cheap, no name Chinese tin car toys. Unfortunatelly, Accord will remain there. At least for one more generation.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 04:13:27 pm »
The Coupe is absolutely gorgeous, the sedan however, is an exercise in derivative styling.  It looks like the lovechild of a Camry and a Sebring.

ghost

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 04:36:46 pm »
Coupe looks good. Better than the Altima Coupe. But the sedan reminds me of Jack Palance if he is a car. New Mazda6 will take the Accord to school in terms of styling.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 04:56:46 pm »
Coupe looks good. Better than the Altima Coupe.

Can't agree with you there.  I love the Altima coupe.

New Mazda6 will take the Accord to school in terms of styling.

The version unveiled in Frankfurt certainly does.  But let's see if we get that in North America, or if we get the Camry-esque car that Car & Driver warned of.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 06:12:30 pm »
Shares no parts cept the door handle and mirrors between the coupe and sedan? Isn't that a bad thing in terms of cost for Honda?

Oh wells.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 07:27:59 pm »
Shares no parts cept the door handle and mirrors between the coupe and sedan? Isn't that a bad thing in terms of cost for Honda?

Oh wells.

When you make money hand over fist, sometimes image is more important than monies. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 08:06:35 pm »
I don't mind either Accords, I'll judge in the flesh.  As for the Altima coupe I feel it's the hottest thing for the buck right now.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 09:02:24 pm »
I often don't like cars in pictures that I like in the tin, and vice versa, so I now reserve judgement until I see it.  However, I think the Accord is getting too big.  The TSX is a noticably tighter product and I think no Accord should be larger than that.

James R.

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 10:10:55 pm »
How much did Honda pay you to say nice things about the new accords Mr. Williams? The sedan looks absolutely dreadful. Do Honda and Subaru share the same design studio? Somebody should be drawn and quartered for this mess. Tasteful?, eye-cacthing?,presence?, I think not.

jack daniels

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 10:42:33 pm »
Coupe looks like a 10% G35 coupe and 90% hyundai tibouron (which is also a train wreck).  Was trying to get exited for this new accord however it looks pathetic.  You can bet the lease and finance rates will be ridiculous for the next 3 years.  After owning 4 hondas over the past 14 years I said good bye last year - got real tired of the cocky dealers here in sw ontario.  In fact getting tired of the cockiness of both toyota and honda.   Anyone drive a new GMC 1500 truck?  how did they like it? 

Have a good night

Cortina

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 01:14:43 am »

All I see is a re-badge Saturn L Serries :)

Sir Meow

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 12:34:30 pm »
The design is so muddle, it doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t flow, this very un-honda.
I have always thought that the 03-07 Accord was a muddled design. I think since that time, Honda have been struggling to figure out where they want the Accord to fit in from a design perspective.

True....although I thought they most had trouble with people liking the back lights, rather than the whole car, With the coupe they always seamed to get that right.

Let say with the reliability issues and other electrick clitches, I think it will go down as the worst accord ever, I guess every car maker makes a turkey at least once ever decade.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 12:37:51 pm »
I often don't like cars in pictures that I like in the tin, and vice versa, so I now reserve judgement until I see it.  However, I think the Accord is getting too big.  The TSX is a noticably tighter product and I think no Accord should be larger than that.

Exactly my thoughts, like to see it in person, but not fond of the pictures at this point.

It is getting rather large for sure. Only slightly shorter than a Chrysler 300... :o :o
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White