Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL sedan  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL sedan
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:07:47 am »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL sedan

2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL sedanSedan: The well-equipped Nissan Versa 1.8SL sedan is a "compact car at a subcompact price", reports Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.  "The Versa is bigger, roomier and more comfortable than its similarly-priced competitors," he says, "but not as sporty".

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL sedan
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:44:45 am »
Interesting to see the overall average consumption figures. They depend so much on where you live and the traffic conditions and also the weather. High winds can make a big difference. To add to the list of figures we have averaged 35.6 miles per Canadian gallon over a total distance of 25,000 km. summer and winter in the Toronto area. The milage consisted of about 40% highway, 50% city (moderate to heavy traffic). This was in the latest 4 door Hyundai Accent. Our highest one way average was 48.29mpg. Canadian (highway) over a distance of 300km. flat terain, 2 occupants. There was a good tailwind that day.
These figures were computed from fill up to fill up versus distance travelled and the driving was ordinary keep up with the traffic style. They are not to be confused with advertised ratings.
Don't like the instrument cluster on the Versa. Like other designs it is badly compromised by fitting in a useless tach. thereby making the important data (speed) smaller and harder to read especially for bifocal users.
BTW. your 31 average o/all fuel consumption is par for the course. 81% of sales literature figures. The other vehicles you mentioned in the article are the same 81 or 82% of their quoted ratings. Generally I think 80% is about right.
Perhaps these 81% figures should be the ones quoted in the sales literature for vehicles so that every one would be on the same page and purchasers would not be dissapointed with the results that they get. I suppose that the tests for the official figures are made under standard conditions that can not be duplicated on the highway in actual use.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 09:09:59 am by Rupert »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:50:57 am »
I like the hatch well enough, but am not a fan of the sedan. Nevertheless, this is a very well-packaged vehicle albeit a bit on the high side for a sub-compact. Having cruise in the SL is a nice option - you can't get that on some of the other sub-compacts.
JWW

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:08:23 am »
I think the Versas are a good choice for an everyday driver. Great price, equipment, space, wide seats, reasonable power, and comfy ride. And am really thrilled to see the Versa Sedan so boxy and useful in profile. For some funky reason, I admire and think it nearly handsome that way. Guess I'm turned on by space and a design that doesn't compromise it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:13:24 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Sir Meow

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:46:37 pm »
I remember a time when buying a Nissan was a no brainer, now days I\'m not so sure, since Renault merge they are not so great. Time will tell on if the Versa has broken the trend.

I test drove one a while back, thought it was very nice car and felt very Renualt, thats cause it is. ;D

I think more people will buy the saloon over that hatch, simple because you can over automatic. although Nissan right now build the best CVT :)

Sir meow

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 12:50:48 pm »
I\'ll try that again  ;D

I think more people will buy the saloon over that hatch, simple because you can get automatic. although Nissan right now build the best CVT if if that tickles you fancy. 

Offline BlackS40

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Körglädjen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 01:26:57 pm »
I\'ll try that again  ;D

I think more people will buy the saloon over that hatch, simple because you can get automatic. although Nissan right now build the best CVT if if that tickles you fancy. 

Try again.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 01:54:49 pm »
Good review. Visited the parents in BC the other day and checked on how their CVT equipped SL Versa Hatch has held up since Jan.

Turns out just fine. Still as eerily quiet as ever on the highway, with the same big, high quality interior. No mechanical issues. The Nokian WR's they swapped the OEM tires for are performing well as summer tires, don't seem to be wearing and are pretty much silent, impressive for a winter capable tire.

Chrysler should steal some of their engineers. Personally I'd like the looks, ground clearance, and stability control of the Caliber combined with the drivetrain refinement and interior of the Versa.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 02:55:08 pm »
I\'ll try that again  ;D

The 1.8 S hatch has a four-speed auto (or 6MT).  The 1.8 SL hatch has a CVT (or 6MT).  You fail.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 03:44:11 pm »
I seem to be a bit at odds with everyone else about the Versa.

I drove a 2007 Versa S hatch with convenience package last week and liked the ride and visibility.

I loved the fact that the power windows worked without having to have the key in the ignition, until the doors were opened.

The soft touch materials on the door were nice and I was very impressed by the suede door material, but I wonder how long these materials will last. I seem to have memories from somewhere in my childhood about such materials drying out and cracking.  ??? ::)

I didn't like the central console - which I thought cheap and plasticy. That radio looks nasty and the slide lever governing the airflow is really cheap. The 'strap' releases on the rear seatbacks, used to collapse the seats, seem awkward to use and not very durable.

I hated the auto drivers up power window. I tried to stop it with my hand to see if it had an automatic cutoff (nothing like abusing the rental!), but I chickened out when it continued to close. That’s convenience overriding common sense IMO.

Reinforcing my opinion that the car is done ‘on the cheap’ is its poor toxic chemical report card from http://www.healthycar.org/vehicle.searchclass.php?getclass=Small%20Car

Overall, I thought that it was a well designed car, but that it is spoilt by a ‘more is better’ mentality. I would have preferred less, better executed. To my mind, the competition does better, admittedly with some obvious compromises (spartan interiors, older engines, suspensions, etc).

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:17:33 pm »
I have to say that I'm not nearly as impressed with the S interior as that in the SL, at least by looking at an S.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:24 pm »
I have to say that I'm not nearly as impressed with the S interior as that in the SL, at least by looking at an S.

You may be right - I'm looking at the specs and there are some differences (the radio, for instance). I thought the main difference was the seat fabric.

BTW, to clarify, I rented an S with the value option package.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 08:20:58 pm »
I remember a time when buying a Nissan was a no brainer, now days I\'m not so sure, since Renault merge they are not so great. Time will tell on if the Versa has broken the trend.

I test drove one a while back, thought it was very nice car and felt very Renualt, thats cause it is. ;D

I think more people will buy the saloon over that hatch, simple because you can over automatic. although Nissan right now build the best CVT :)

Maybe Renault should look at bringing some of their european offerings here under the nissan moniker. I'd love to see the Megane on our roads, for one.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:32:24 pm »

Maybe Renault should look at bringing some of their european offerings here under the nissan moniker. I'd love to see the Megane on our roads, for one.

You can see the Megane. It's disguised as the Sentra.

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:19:32 pm »

True.  The 2007 Sentra is built on the Megane platform, and Motor Trend commented upon driving it how the ergonomics were typically French, as was the suspension tuning.

Here's the article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0707_2007_honda_civic_vs_2007_hyundai_elantra_vs_2007_mitsubishi_lancer_vs_2007_nissan_sentra_comparison
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:22:48 pm by Mitlov »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 11:24:20 am »

Pretty clever disguise 'cos they don't look anything like each other to me.

Renault Megane:

Nissan Sentra:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:31:28 am by jww »

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
Well yeah, aesthetically they're completely different.  But with the same platform, and according to Motor Trend the same ergonomics and the same suspension tuning, I still consider them to be very very close cousins.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:59:34 pm »
Well yeah, aesthetically they're completely different.  But with the same platform, and according to Motor Trend the same ergonomics and the same suspension tuning, I still consider them to be very very close cousins.
Fair enough.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:02 pm »

Pretty clever disguise 'cos they don't look anything like each other to me.

Renault Megane:

Nissan Sentra:

The Megane Sedan gives us a better idea

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 06:23:46 pm »

The Megane Sedan gives us a better idea

In all the time I have spent traveling in the UK - I have never seen a Megane sedan. Nevertheless, I do now see the resemblance between the two.