Author Topic: Preview: 2009 Opel Vectra (aka Saturn Aura)  (Read 13718 times)

Cortina

Preview: 2009 Opel Vectra (aka Saturn Aura)
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:28:42 am »

From: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/preview-2009-opel-vectra-aka-saturn-aura/

Opel gave us a preview of the styling direction for the new Vectra sedan when it unveiled the GTC Concept car back at March’s Geneva Motor Show. There’s a lot of significance riding on this model because this is the car that will be sold in the US as the next-gen Saturn Aura and it may even make it to other markets where GM cars are sold such as Australasia and South America.

The new model features a wider and taller body than the current generation Vectra/Aura and will be built on GM’s new Epsilon II platform. This means the car will retain its FWD configuration and will be available in sedan, five-door hatch, and wagon bodystyles. The larger body will position it better against its main rivals in the US such as the Toyota Camry and new Honda Accord, both of which have grown considerably in size recently.

Powering the new car will be a range of four-cylinder and V6 engines including both petrol and turbodiesel units. The US-spec Aura may also be available with a new V8 engine as well as a new hybrid option similar to that used in the new Chevrolet Malibu.

Europe should see the new Vectra debut early in 2009 but Saturn fans won’t get to see the car until 2011 at the earliest. The US models will also likely get some minor styling revisions to suit North American tastes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:30:22 am by Cortina »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Preview: 2009 Opel Vectra (aka Saturn Aura)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:58:28 am »
"Europe should see the new Vectra debut early in 2009 but Saturn fans won’t get to see the car until 2011 at the earliest. The US models will also likely get some minor styling revisions to suit North American tastes."

Very nice! However, these two sentences spoil any hope to see a Camcord killer in N/A any time soon.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 11:31:12 am »
This new rendition of the Vectra looks to have much greater influence from the current Aura than the original Aura did from the Vectra. Nevertheless - I think it'll be a find vehicle. I have driven Vectras on plenty of occasions in the UK, and they are a pretty good vehicle.
JWW

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:24:58 pm by MKII »

Cortina

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:55:33 pm »

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:11:36 am »
"Bob Lutz says the new Vauxhall/Opel Insignia, given its global debut at London, will be the basis for the new Saturn Aura.

While the cars will share sub-systems, suspensions and powertrains, the Aura will have a completely different skin and interior."

New Insignia will be offered with some very impressive new techo stuff. I wonder if North America version will have some of the new stuff and also if AWD will be offered on the Saturn version.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:31:10 am by MKII »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28:14 am »
"Powering the new car will be a range of four-cylinder and V6 engines including both petrol and turbodiesel units. The US-spec Aura may also be available with a new V8 engine as well as a new hybrid option similar to that used in the new Chevrolet Malibu.

Europe should see the new Vectra debut early in 2009 but Saturn fans won’t get to see the car until 2011 at the earliest. The US models will also likely get some minor styling revisions to suit North American tastes."
"While the cars will share sub-systems, suspensions and powertrains, the Aura will have a completely different skin and interior."

Sounds to me as if we will get an over engined Buick clone instead of a proper crisp euro sedan.  That has happened before at GM ( Catera for instance)    I guess some of the old guard are still in there fighting.  I hope I am being too cynical.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:53:29 am »
Opel Insignia becomes the next Saturn Aura its official. :)

Great another Euro Saturn.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be another Euro Saturn, but just another plain Saturn like the current Aura.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:59 am »
kevlar, in fact M-B, BMW, VW/Audi  DO change the cars for NA tastes.   They replace the  all-the-world legal  amber rear indicators with red ones. Not all the time and not on all models admittedly but more often than not.    And they DO  fit different engine families... mostly because of emissions in the case of the diesels and in the case of gas engines I suspect because NA buyers/car magazines put more emphasis on 0-60  than on economical high speed cruise.

But the Euro manufacturers tend not to change the appearance of the cars for our market.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:03:25 am »

But the Euro manufacturers tend not to change the appearance of the cars for our market.

This is exactly the opposite of what GM did with the Aura.

Having a choice of I4 and V6 engines wouldn't be an issue for me - I think GM's classic 2.4L and 3.6L coupled to a 6 A/T would be in order for this car in NA, but changing the design and tune-up to the point where the cars only vaguely resembles is the issue. Aura is the perfect example for this.
For example, Aura's interior has nothing to do with Vectra's. And I think Vectra had 2 front cup holders and an armrest so no need for change for NA.

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 07:18:46 pm »
kevlar, in fact M-B, BMW, VW/Audi  DO change the cars for NA tastes.   They replace the  all-the-world legal  amber rear indicators with red ones. Not all the time and not on all models admittedly but more often than not.    And they DO  fit different engine families... mostly because of emissions in the case of the diesels and in the case of gas engines I suspect because NA buyers/car magazines put more emphasis on 0-60  than on economical high speed cruise.

I agree too with this statement. They also soften the suspension for the sake of "NA Taste" Unfortunately in the case of BMW, the same car was launched in Europe and was slated for not being as good as the last version of any 3,5,7 Series BMW. Audi also changed the RS4 for example because fat American bums could not fit into the Euro seats so all of NA had to make do with a over inflated S4 and what was with taking out the square bottomed Steering wheel??/ But I digress:

With regards to Saturn. It's sad that the Suits at GM haven't learnt a thing about launching World cars, except in the case of the Saturn Astra which was largely unchanged (except for changing the Rear lights to Red signals,  WTF!!) but because the Americans are screaming that they cannot find a cup holder for their Super large drink in the Astra, the Aura will suffer the same fate it did with the current version which basically is a glorified Malibu. No wonder that GM are drowning!!!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:31:02 pm »
snip

With regards to Saturn. It's sad that the Suits at GM haven't learnt a thing about launching World cars, except in the case of the Saturn Astra which was largely unchanged (except for changing the Rear lights to Red signals,  WTF!!) but because the Americans are screaming that they cannot find a cup holder for their Super large drink in the Astra, the Aura will suffer the same fate it did with the current version which basically is a glorified Malibu. No wonder that GM are drowning!!!
THe head man at BMWNA said a couple of years back that the most complaints they got from NA customers were about cup holders. His reply, paraphrased, was, you want a manual transmission, you don't get much in the way of cup holders.

here is a thought:  If everybody who insists on drinking coffee/big gulps /whatever while driving was taken by the Rapture or some secular equivalent then:   a) no traffic jams in NA b) no need for Kyoto c) we could have sensible speed limits d) Cam Wooley would be out of a Job.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 10:24:35 am »
The Astra's cup holders and armrest issue is blown out of proportions. For a long time now, an armrest with a built in usable cup holder was available through Saturn dealers. GM should just install the damn thing in every car sold here and end this silly issue.
Here is the link: http://www.astraarmrest.com/

The real problem with the Astra is that is too expensive considering its powertrain. As far as I'm concerned, the Astra is a B/C car and its direct competitor is Nissan Versa which is a few thousands cheaper well equipped.

Maybe GM could build the Euro Astra and Insignia/Aura in North America and get competitive pricing without having to change the original design and quality.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:28:26 am by carcrazy »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 06:54:23 pm »
No Saturn version for NA til 2011 at the earliest?....If GM doesn't start moving a little fastest they won't be here in 2011!  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Cortina

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 11:45:03 am »
Sadly my excitement on the prospect of Euro Insignia was short lived.  ::)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 01:20:52 pm »
I have no clue why the Big 3 tailor their products to the North American market.  ::)

Looks like I'll just have to get a Toyota Avensis..not available here? OK the Civic Type R...also not available in NA. Fine, I have to step up to the five door 1 series...Ah, I see...rest of the world only...

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Cortina

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
I have no clue why the Big 3 tailor their products to the North American market.  ::)

Looks like I'll just have to get a Toyota Avensis..not available here? OK the Civic Type R...also not available in NA. Fine, I have to step up to the five door 1 series...Ah, I see...rest of the world only...

I think a lot has to do with restrictions on imports. Is more likely the reason why the manufacturers are not offering all there models ranges in NA.  :-\

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:17 am »
The Brits liked the Insignia almost as much as the Mondeo, which tells a lot.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/226374/new-insignia-hits-road.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:04:59 am by carcrazy »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:55:00 am »
The real verdict will be from Top Gear and Car, both UK magazines are ruthless in their reviews... 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 01:37:42 pm »
Fresh out of the oven, meet the Insignia Sports Tourer.
Every time I see the new Opel/Vauxhall models I keep shaking my head not understanding why GM doesn't bring them over here ASAP and UNCHANGED.
Instead, they give us the G8 ST....  :banghead:  :bang: