Author Topic: Volkswagen Golf VI  (Read 12313 times)

loser40

Re: Volkswagen Golf VI
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 03:31:20 pm »
huota - I agree.

Generally price rises are minimal at launch, and, when you look at the extra kit a new model usually has, in theory at least, it works out cheaper.  In fact, when the new model sales hype and initial sales stampede die down, specs are increased further for no extra cost.

I read recently that the Audi A3 2.0 litre will shortly be available with a Quattro option in the EU & USA - I wouldn't be surprised that the Golf/Rabbit follow suit with a 4Motion option in Canada & other markets.

I'm looking forward to a fast diesel AWD model, an evolution of the GTDi FWD Turbo we have in Europe, that will be a great car.

Oh, and they should drop the Rabbit name, and call it what it is, a Golf.

M.

mtlrabbit

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 07:45:58 pm »
[.

Oh, and they should drop the Rabbit name, and call it what it is, a Golf.

M.
[/quote]

I hope so too, then I will keep my Rabbit and make some money after 10years. Ha ha

vdk

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:26 am »
Nice evolutionary design. I like it.
I hope it will come to NA with a smaller, powerful enough, more fuel-efficient engine and priced in line with the new Mazda3 and Focus (Euro). VW should get real, drop their "premium" aspirations and sell their cars in volumes.

But w/o the premium why would I be paying $110 for an oil change?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:31 am »
I hope it will come to NA with a smaller, powerful enough, more fuel-efficient engine and priced in line with the new Mazda3 and Focus (Euro). VW should get real, drop their "premium" aspirations and sell their cars in volumes.

Don't know. Maybe the service is premium?  ;D

At Mazda I pay around $40, but I only get a coffee and watch TV while waiting. Not even a free car wash at my dealership.

vdk

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 09:52:59 pm »

At Mazda I pay around $40, but I only get a coffee and watch TV while waiting. Not even a free car wash at my dealership.

Nope, no adult entertainment where I go... although I do get half a car wash ;D

mtlrabbit

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 11:20:16 pm »
why people think $100/16000km is more expensive than $40/5000km, before I picked my rabbit, every other dealer "kindly" warn me that service with VW is very expensive,then I take a look at Honda, Acura, Subaru.etc, service schedule on their wall, calculate the 4year dealer service total amount. VW is the cheapest, believe or not.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:05 pm »

You don't have to.  You can change the oil yourself.  I think some of us here will do oil changes for a few cold beers.  :)

vdk

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 12:09:46 am »

You don't have to.  You can change the oil yourself.  I think some of us here will do oil changes for a few cold beers.  :)

:thumbup:  :cheers:

you guys got me all wrong... I was just joking...  :D
On a more serious note I'd rather pay $100 every 16k than $50 every 8k or thereabouts. The service itself is not expensive, I think the oil itself is over $65 and the filter's ~$20 that makes $85(ish) before tax w/o labour and whatnot, which is not bad at all.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 12:13:22 am »
So the oil is synthetic then??  Can't be much more than 6 litres of oil...so you're paying $10+ per litre of oil.  And an oil filter for $20??  Wow...must be a good filter.... :o
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 12:24:40 am »
So in the end, you are not receiving "premium" service, they are just charging more for parts and labor.

Since we are at it, how much for the other service, for example 12 mo., 24 mo., etc.? Mazda and Mitsu both have a "major service" which is around $200 every 12 mo.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:47:46 am by carcrazy »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:11 am »

I wouldn't want anyone washing my car, other than me.

vdk

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 01:54:16 am »
So in the end, you are not receiving "premium" service, they are just charging more for parts and labor.

Since we are at it, how much for the other service, for example 12 mo., 24 mo., etc.? Mazda and Mitsu both have a "major service" which is around $200 every 12 mo.

I can't talk about parts yet, I'll see exactly how much oil+filter cost me tmrw.
Labor is $100/hr, I know that for sure.

Oil change, tire rotation blah blah - every 16k ~$110
Major Service - every 32k ~$200-300 (?)
Full Service - every 64k  ~$500 (?)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 09:22:23 am »

Hey, you do service half as often as Mazda.
If you make $50/hr, you save 2 hours which equals $100!  ;D
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Greg B.

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
The Mk 6 version looks very good to me, sort of what the transition of what the Mk 4 to Mk 5 should have been. I find the current Mk 5 to look very awkward, with that too-prominent proboscis and an unattractive transition at the rear greenhouse on 2-door models. The Mk 6 is a big improvement in that regard. The Mk 5 will have had a very short lifespan -- is it not selling well?

I suppose this will spell curtains for the City Golf here in Canada?

vdk

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 05:35:23 pm »
The Mk 6 version looks very good to me, sort of what the transition of what the Mk 4 to Mk 5 should have been. I find the current Mk 5 to look very awkward, with that too-prominent proboscis and an unattractive transition at the rear greenhouse on 2-door models. The Mk 6 is a big improvement in that regard. The Mk 5 will have had a very short lifespan -- is it not selling well?

I suppose this will spell curtains for the City Golf here in Canada?

The MK5's been out since 03 in Euroland... 6 yrs in production is not too bad :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »

Hey, you do service half as often as Mazda.
If you make $50/hr, you save 2 hours which equals $100!
  ;D

I service my car in my free time when I don't get paid anyway or during my work ours when I still get paid.  ;D

Cutting the service visits without a major increase in price is a convenience benefit indeed, but it still doesn't have anything to do with the "premium" status we were talking about. Using Synthetic oil in almost any car would do the same isnt't it?

BTW: Does the Rabbit require Synthetic oil or it's optional?

vdk

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 05:51:01 pm »
All VWs should run on synthetic... and all this since the 1.8T issues we've all heard about...   ;)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Cortina

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2008, 10:41:49 am »
First Drive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/228054/vw-golf-mkvi-20-tdi.html

Quote from: autoexpress
FIRST OPINION

While the fresh look is best described as cautious, huge strides have been made in developing refinement. No rival in this class exudes the same degree of comfort and quietness on the move. Yet the driving experience has suffered, and the MkVI can’t quite offer the involvement of the MkV. But few long-distance motorists will mind, as the Golf will devour motorway journeys like an executive car.

AT A GLANCE

Price: £18,500 (approx)
Engine: 1,998cc four-cylinder diesel, 138bhp
0-62mph: 11.2 seconds
Top speed: 140mph
Economy: 58mpg
CO2: 129g/km
Standard equipment: Electric windows, multifunction steering wheel, climate control, DCC active chassis control, split/fold rear seats, seven airbags
On sale: January