Author Topic: Volkswagen Golf VI  (Read 12313 times)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Volkswagen Golf VI
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 11:15:44 am »
The Touareg style tail lights does make the back look heavy.
The front is very nice.

Alright North America should expect to see this in 2011?  ???
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:26 am »
Nice evolutionary design. I like it.
I hope it will come to NA with a smaller, powerful enough, more fuel-efficient engine and priced in line with the new Mazda3 and Focus (Euro). VW should get real, drop their "premium" aspirations and sell their cars in volumes.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 11:49:39 am »
It may make more financial sense to sell a few premium priced cars than a lot of low margin cars. The strategy you mention is more in line with that of Hyundai. If VWs lost their premium feel, they'd be competing with Honda and Toyota. I for one, would not buy a VW if they felt any less substantial. I'm already saddened by the loss of nice interiors in the Rabbit/Jetta.

loser40

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 12:09:41 pm »
From what Ive read, the new Golf 6 has much higher quality materials in the cabin than the Golf 5, it's also rumoured to be better equipped... VW is keen to re-establish the Golf as the benchmark quality leader in the hatchback crowd.

I also read that the profit margins on the Golf 5 weren't as high as VW had hoped & that the new 6 is actually cheaper to make than its predecessor.

In the metal the rear light clusters may look OK or even great, but in these pics they just look wrong, .

M.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
It may make more financial sense to sell a few premium priced cars than a lot of low margin cars. The strategy you mention is more in line with that of Hyundai. If VWs lost their premium feel, they'd be competing with Honda and Toyota. I for one, would not buy a VW if they felt any less substantial. I'm already saddened by the loss of nice interiors in the Rabbit/Jetta.

My point is that today other manufacturers are putting out cars with interior materials and fit-and-finish as nice as the VW so it's hard to justify the premium on the VW.
For example, if you put side by side a current Mazda3 Sport and a Rabbit, it's hard to justify any price premium on the Rabbit.

However, few years ago, the MKIV Golf was indeed premium compared to the Mazda Protege5, but that's not the case anymore.

I think we need to wait and see the new iterations of those cars and their prices to judge.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »
For example, if you put side by side a current Mazda3 Sport and a Rabbit, it's hard to justify any price premium on the Rabbit.

True. As it stands, it is hard to justify a premium for the current Rabbit over Mazda3.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:50 pm »

True. As it stands, it is hard to justify a premium for the current Rabbit over Mazda3.

I just checked the Canadian MSRPs for these two, similarly equipped, and while there are differences in equipment, the prices are within $500 with Mazda3 being the more expensive one. Now, the game could change since Mazda will drop the 2009 prices by $2000 on all Mazda3s IIRC.
I hope it will stay the same for the new models and the price will remain under $25K for the well-equipped models.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 01:24:14 pm »

I just checked the Canadian MSRPs for these two, similarly equipped, and while there are differences in equipment, the prices are within $500 with Mazda3 being the more expensive one. Now, the game could change since Mazda will drop the 2009 prices by $2000 on all Mazda3s IIRC.
I hope it will stay the same for the new models and the price will remain under $25K for the well-equipped models.

I too have looked at prices of Rabbit and Mz3 Sport GT and found them very close. I think there is more dealing room right now on Mazdas and Mazda MSRP is dropping for 2009 MY.

These two cars are on the plate, along with Mini Copper Clubman to replace wife's HL in Spring 09.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »

I too have looked at prices of Rabbit and Mz3 Sport GT and found them very close. I think there is more dealing room right now on Mazdas and Mazda MSRP is dropping for 2009 MY.

These two cars are on the plate, along with Mini Copper Clubman to replace wife's HL in Spring 09.

Do you think the new models will launch here by then or you are looking at the current models? If I had time (which I do), I would wait to see what Ford is doing with the Euro Focus too. This would be my third contender.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:37:08 pm by carcrazy »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 01:59:57 pm »
We're not doing anything until the Spring (we think), and by that time, the new Mz3 should be out as a 2010 MY (according to my friend who owns the local Mz shop here). I am told that the new Mz3 will be based on the new Euro Ford Focus. Does anyone know if that is true?

There may also be further reductions in price on some of these cars by then if the markets continue to be poor for auto sales.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 02:07:35 pm »
This redesign looks pretty sombre if you ask me - "Rabbit" looks a little silly on this. Rear lights don't quite fit IMO and far too squared. I'll really miss the gloss black front on GTI/GLIs. And I sure hope they didn't lower the damn roof!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:23:28 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »
We're not doing anything until the Spring (we think), and by that time, the new Mz3 should be out as a 2010 MY (according to my friend who owns the local Mz shop here). I am told that the new Mz3 will be based on the new Euro Ford Focus. Does anyone know if that is true?

There may also be further reductions in price on some of these cars by then if the markets continue to be poor for auto sales.

I see. I heard the same rumors in terms of platform, which makes sense. Any idea when the model will be officially showed? I would guess sometime this fall.
However, the new Rabbit may not come to the US until then. Today’s press release did not say anything other than it will follow the Euro launch this fall.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 03:04:17 pm »
This redesign looks pretty sombre if you ask me - "Rabbit" looks a little silly on this. Rear lights don't quite fit IMO and far too squared. I'll really miss the gloss black front on GTI/GLIs. And I sure hope they didn't lower the damn roof!

The grill looks more like the Mk IV now. I doubt they'd lower the roof. More likely, they'll widen the car by an inch or two. I dislike the tail lights also... look wayy too mainstream.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:09 pm »
I feel like they went backwards in time a little bit on the exterior.

Interior looks very nice though.

Wonder if they will do anything about the 2.5? Rather drive a 160-170hp 1.8T and pay for premium gas.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
I feel like they went backwards in time a little bit on the exterior.

Interior looks very nice though.

Wonder if they will do anything about the 2.5? Rather drive a 160-170hp 1.8T and pay for premium gas.

was told by a salesperson the 2T runs fine on reg

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 09:19:20 pm »
Looks pretty nice.  I just got my MKV and will be enjoying it for the next four years. I'll probably have a close look at the new one at that time.  This is my first VW an I gotta say I'm lovong it.  Buy the way I think the interior of my car is pretty nice.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 11:53:27 pm »
Looks pretty nice.  I just got my MKV and will be enjoying it for the next four years. I'll probably have a close look at the new one at that time.  This is my first VW an I gotta say I'm lovong it.  Buy the way I think the interior of my car is pretty nice.

From Acura to VW, where have I seen that before?  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 05:26:06 am »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 09:37:32 am »
From http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2395.shtml

So what does this mean for the U.S? Well first, lets squash the rumors that the Golf VI isn't coming to the U.S. While anything can change with VW, the current plan is to sell both the Golf/Rabbit and the GTI six generation here in the U.S. However we won't see both cars here till September of 2009. The Golf VI goes on sale in Germany before the end of this year. That means production of the Golf/Rabbit/GTI V will stop before the end of the 2008. That also means there will be a period of time in 2009 where there won't be any Rabbit or GTI models available till the new ones arrive in September. So our advice is if you're in the market for a Rabbit or GTI based on the Golf V platform, scoop one up in the next few months.

Details on the U.S. specific Golf/Rabbit/GTI VI are minimal at best, but we have a few solid guesses. First the price of the Golf/Rabbit VI will go up with the new model. How much remains to be seen, but if it goes up significantly we'd bet that VWoA drops the Rabbit name from the model and goes back to Golf. The GTI however will stay close to the existing price point. The 2.0l four-cylinder turbo (2.0T) will continue to be offered in new Golf VI models *and* in the new Jetta VI coming in late 2009. Given the mediocre fuel economy of the current 2.5l inline-five our guess is that VW is under pressure to find a new base engine to put under the hood that won't break the bank but delivers better economy. The 2.0 FSI (normally aspirated) may fit the bill nicely giving better economy and decent performance - plus the parts and warranty guys will probably like it too since it shares a base with the 2.0T. Look for both the Golf VI and the GTI to be available here in September of 2009.

All this talk about a 'cheaper to produce' model, yet prices are being raised on the car both in Europe and here.

It's starting to grow a bit on me, but as a much more mature & serious looking compact.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:43:07 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 10:50:57 am »
All this talk about a 'cheaper to produce' model, yet prices are being raised on the car both in Europe and here.

According to some magazine sources in Europe the prices will rise by about 200 euros. I think that's insignificant considering that you're getting more car for the money.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth