Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Corolla LE  (Read 17643 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Toyota Corolla LE
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:38:23 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Toyota Corolla LE

2007 Toyota Corolla LEThe Toyota Corolla is a "driving appliance", and that's meant as a compliment, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh, who finds it roomy and comfortable but not up to her interior-fit standards.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:07:01 pm »
Many people I know have this Corolla. One 05' Sport, 04' CE, and an 06' SE. All silver.  :rofl:

The engine with the AT is gutless, and the engine sounds boomy, but it delivers reasonable performance. Interior is roomy also.

Extremely dependable, but I'd rather drive a Civic or 3 anyday.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:26:13 pm »
Horrible fluff piece.

Lets call the Corolla what it is: Outdated and tired. I didn't even put it into my consideration when picking cars just these past weeks.

Toyota has issues lately with the feel and quality of their products. Our 2005 Camry looks and feel like the interior of our 97 Explorer in terms of how plasticky it feels. Haven't been inside the new Camry yet maybe I'll drop by a dealership sometime and just poke my head in and take a look. From the sounds of it the 2007 review model was continuing the trend of outdated looking plastic interior.

Features and crash safety wise the Corolla's starting to look a lot like an American car. Actually in many cases it has been exceeded by American cars, in particular Toyota's whole line up suffers in the rear collision whip lash tests. For me if I am looking for a transportation appliance for sure I am interested in the safety.

My conclusion: Corolla cost about the same as a Civic with less feature while providing you with an outdated look, less performance and worse safety. Who are the idiots who are buying them new?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:37 am »
This particular generation of Corolla started selling in 2002 as a 2003 model. Industry has changed a lot since then and this Corolla is long overdue for overhaul.

It still sells in astonishing numbers compared to its rivals' newer generation cars (almost all of them have got newer cars now). This is a very good starter family car though. Its 1.8litre 126hp engine at its launch was one of the best and quite gutsy engine.

Cortina

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:37:36 pm »
If there ever is a no brainer car then this is it.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 04:28:05 pm »
They need a hatchback version to spice things up a bit.

I've driven a Corolla and it was the most mind-numbing experience to date.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:35 pm »

Its amazing, it suspends time, pretty much every sensation and gets the job done.  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:45 pm »
I'm wanting ONE.......but ma Banker is dubious????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:26:28 pm »
Wifey tells me that the BCTF seminars for teachers about to retire suggest they buy (if they need one) a car such as a Toyota Corolla so they will have dependable and economical transportation during their retirement. And that is what the Corolla is for - dependable and economical. Nothing else. Most of us on here wouldn't even consider driving one, period.

It does what it is intended to, and nothing more. Excitement? - move on, nothing to see here.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:11:48 pm »
I was going to buy a Corolla LE 2 years ago.  ;D

I wasn't into enthusiast cars before. A Corolla was an obvious contender for me, given my excellent experiences with my previous Corolla and our Camry.

I hesitated because of the cheap interior. On my way to buy the Corolla, I made a last minute decision to check out the Honda Civic. Then began my descent ascent into car enthusiasm  ;D (descent for wallet, haha!)

I loved the excellent visibility, excellent maneouvrability. And yeah, its fuel economy is amazing.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:17:09 pm »

Hatchback version is the Matrix...which is built at the same plant, and is also outdated.

Julie, I disagree with you on the interior. It looked better than other competitors at the time. I find the fit and finish excellent.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 08:21:58 pm »
Really needs updating, but for some people, this is the right car.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 08:32:45 pm »
Julie, I disagree with you on the interior. It looked better than other competitors at the time. I find the fit and finish excellent.

The fake wood trim looks good in the article's pictures, but I remember it as looking obviously fake in 2005  ???  Anyways, it was the whole feeling sitting inside. As if, "This is it? This is their top of the line? No tilt/telescoping wheel, plastic-y++ steering wheel, loud-ish turn signal... Well, it's subjective huh. Depends on what your expectations too. Guess I was wanting more at the time. The Honda Civic's EX's interior impressed me. Soft touches, etc.

There were things I missed about the Corolla after I got my Civic.......

I will always have a sentimental attachment to this car (I had an older generation though). I almost bought a mini-Corolla die-cast model the other day at Toyota...

Greg B.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:06:14 pm »
Horrible fluff piece.

Lets call the Corolla what it is: Outdated and tired. I didn't even put it into my consideration when picking cars just these past weeks.

I looked at one back in '03 when I was car shopping and the value for money just wasn't there. I imagine that equation has only gotten worse in the years that have passed.

Interesting that she made no mention of the horrible driving position -- which every other review seems to mention -- and the 4-speed autobox gets a pass as well. Yet just about every GM review criticizes them for having a 4-speed auto in their cars. Hmmm...

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:07 pm »

2003 called.  It wants its idea back.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:51 pm »

The fake wood trim looks good in the article's pictures, but I remember it as looking obviously fake in 2005  ???  Anyways, it was the whole feeling sitting inside. As if, "This is it? This is their top of the line? No tilt/telescoping wheel, plastic-y++ steering wheel, loud-ish turn signal... Well, it's subjective huh. Depends on what your expectations too. Guess I was wanting more at the time. The Honda Civic's EX's interior impressed me. Soft touches, etc.

Okay, maybe not the fake wood, but compared to lets say, a Cavalier/Sunfire or a Impreza...i'd prefer the interior of the Corolla.  :)

Cortina

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 12:20:45 am »

They did, although not here.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 12:50:49 am »
  Man you guys seem harsh on the corolla. when I bought mine in 05 I had a set budget, a limit to how far I was willing to drive to a dealer and a daily hour drive to and from work so fuel economy was important. Where I live, in this size of car it was a choice of focus , cobalt, neon, the corolla or the civic.
  the Honda dealer acted like I had the Plague, so that's a lossed sale for them, can't say what it drives like. The neon failed to impress me, the focus I test drove had a rattle that was annoying, the cobalt actually seemed pretty decent and I seriously considered it but for the same level of equipment a Corolla CE C package was just over 2 grand cheaper and seemed to have better fit and finish then the others. It is only the fact that I'm able to pay more and my willingness to drive farther has changed which has let me start to look for something more interesting. In the same situation I was in then I would still be one of the "idiots buying one".
  Are there better options out there? depending on where you live and what the dealers are like not necessarily.  Is it kind of boring to drive daily? Yeppers. But it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that hasn't Had a single thing go wrong in over two years or almost 70000 KM and I still have to say it has been great value.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

coldcase

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 04:24:52 am »
Wifey tells me that the BCTF seminars for teachers about to retire suggest they buy (if they need one) a car such as a Toyota Corolla so they will have dependable and economical transportation during their retirement. And that is what the Corolla is for - dependable and economical. Nothing else. Most of us on here wouldn't even consider driving one, period.

It does what it is intended to, and nothing more. Excitement? - move on, nothing to see here.
:iagree:

cbr663

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:06 am »
I am so amazed after reading the story that the Corolla still gets a thumbs up.  It is a bland, boring and uninspiring car and if any of the American cars had such poor fit and finish it would have been blasted.  Let's face it - Toyota and Honda have lost considerable ground in the past few years to their American counter parts.  GM is producing amazing vehicles - the Aura, Enclave, STS, SKY, outstanding pick ups and large SUVs and now the new Malibu.  It's exciting to watch what's next with GM.

Toyota and Honda - snoozers.  BORING with a capital B.  The next generation Corolla does not create any excitement either.  And with quality continuing to slip I have to wonder why anyone even bothers anymore?