Author Topic: 2008 KIA Rondo's have arrived in Canada  (Read 8670 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
2008 KIA Rondo's have arrived in Canada
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:18 am »
via info from another forum, a member has just took delivery of a 2008 Rondo in Calgary.
Not many changes as it was a new model for 2007:
- CD player now has AUX input in the lower console tray (next to the power plug) with a pass through to the upper tray
- parking foot brake is a "push on - push off"
- "security system" sticker on window, but not sure of the details relating to this.

Prices not confirmed (KIA Canada still showing 2007 info) but about a $150 - $200 increase over the 2007 model

possible the roof rack side rail end caps are black instead of matching body colour (it was on his white colour), but not confirmed for the other colours.  Colour range not confirmed if any changes from the 2007 model.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: 2008 KIA Rondo's have arrived in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:04 am »
There seems to be an expanded model line-up for 2008MY with more 3-row seating offerings.

2007MY:
I4 LX $19,995
I4 EX $21,995
I4 EX Premium $23,995
V6 EX $22,995
V6 EX Luxury $25,995

2008MY:
I4 LX $19,995
I4 EX $22,095
I4 EX w/3rd row $22,895
I4 EX Premium $24,095
V6 EX $23,095
V6 EX w/3rd row $23,895
V6 EX Luxury $26,095
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:22:19 pm »
I realize I posted somewhat negatively on the Rondo in a previous thread, but on closer examination, the 2008 Rondo is an attractive vehicle that I might consider to replace my trusty 2000 Neon. I looked at one at the local Kia dealer the other day and it looks very well screwed together and much better looking in real life than in pictures. The Mazda5, which I thought was a better choice just a few months ago, has gotten quite a bit more expensive, and I hear that the '08 Rondo will be offered with a MT. My main concerns now are Kia's less than stellar reliability record and possibly very expensive repair costs. Has anyone had any experience with the Rondo? I'd be very happy to hear from you. Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:07:32 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 06:55:41 pm »
I'm sure we are ALL agog with a SCHMENGIE BROTHER who is also a trusty NEON owner telling us about tha Rhonda's Value................... ;D :stick: :spam:..oy can ya NOT see the HUMMER in that................ :D..I hope and KNOW the 3 of U will be happy........j/k.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:05:44 pm »
I'm sure we are ALL agog with a SCHMENGIE BROTHER who is also a trusty NEON owner telling us about tha Rhonda's Value................... ;D :stick: :spam:..oy can ya NOT see the HUMMER in that................ :D..I hope and KNOW the 3 of U will be happy........j/k.................

I know it'll ruin your day, Saffy ol' boy, but in 8 years, my Neon has never let me down. Repair costs so far are $5.49 for a broken sunvisor clip. Sounds trusty to me.

PS - All the best to you and your unfortunate psychiatrist. The poor bastard
 probably needs a psychiatrist of his own by now... ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:33:11 pm by Schmengie »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:38:21 pm »
j/k = JOKE...Plus 3 Humour ayyy LERTS in the text(Schmengie,TRUSTY & Rhonda!!!)   ............butt Schmegnster. doan see nuffin' but his NOSE....therefore in my books..is a TOOL...wot can ya do............but ratchet him UP a bit.....next..................... ;) :rofl2:............relax Bro yer so wound UP waitin fer yer NEON ta BLOW....that ya can't see straight.....................................Oops I've done IT again.........BRITTNEY TEARS
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:45:05 pm by safristi »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:45 pm »
The Rondo is indeed a nice package with plenty of levels to choose from. I am seeing more and more of these on the road and I like them very much. I could even see myself driving one. All they need is an AWD model with a bit more clearance and slightly stiffer chassis.

JWW

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 11:02:03 pm »
j/k = JOKE...Plus 3 Humour ayyy LERTS in the text(Schmengie,TRUSTY & Rhonda!!!)   ............butt Schmegnster. doan see nuffin' but his NOSE....therefore in my books..is a TOOL...wot can ya do............but ratchet him UP a bit.....next..................... ;) :rofl2:............relax Bro yer so wound UP waitin fer yer NEON ta BLOW....that ya can't see straight.....................................Oops I've done IT again.........BRITTNEY TEARS

Turn up your oxygen tank a little, Saf. I think you're getting anoxic again. ::)

gottarondo

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:07:35 am »
All they need is an AWD model with a bit more clearance and slightly stiffer chassis.

I think the Rondo is just not aimed at the AWD/SUV market, and I for one am glad.  Although I'm not geriatric yet, I do have creaky hip joints (especially now that I've just spent the day laying flagstone) and I really appreciate the ease of entry/exit which is in part due to the low floor (Mazda 5's is a tad lower even).  I clambered into and out of every remotely similar vehicle at the last car show, and did not find another one that was so comfy to get into.  The HHR was close, actually, but the wide running board messed it up.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 02:03:19 pm »
All they need is an AWD model with a bit more clearance and slightly stiffer chassis.

I think the Rondo is just not aimed at the AWD/SUV market, and I for one am glad.  Although I'm not geriatric yet, I do have creaky hip joints (especially now that I've just spent the day laying flagstone) and I really appreciate the ease of entry/exit which is in part due to the low floor (Mazda 5's is a tad lower even).  I clambered into and out of every remotely similar vehicle at the last car show, and did not find another one that was so comfy to get into. 

I agree that the Rondo's very nicely done and it seems to have more total interior volume than tha Mazda5 in what looks to be a smaller package. I haven't driven the vehicle, so I can't comment on that aspect of the Rondo, but I have gotten into one, including the admittedly small third row seat, and it's an amazingly roomy car. It also has an open, airy feel which I like and is missing from the now much more expensive Mazda5. My major concern about this car is Kia's reliability record, which isn't great. My brother owns a relatively new Kia Spectra (2005) and it's been in the repair shop too many times for me to make the decision to go with the Rondo a comfortable one. It had a major engine-related breakdown this summer which prevented him from driving out to see us, so you can understand my reluctance.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 02:06:23 pm »
..LUCKY Flagstone..................... ;)............. :run: :pimp:

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:46:48 pm »

I think the Rondo is just not aimed at the AWD/SUV market, and I for one am glad.  Although I'm not geriatric yet, I do have creaky hip joints (especially now that I've just spent the day laying flagstone) and I really appreciate the ease of entry/exit which is in part due to the low floor (Mazda 5's is a tad lower even).  I clambered into and out of every remotely similar vehicle at the last car show, and did not find another one that was so comfy to get into.  The HHR was close, actually, but the wide running board messed it up.

It does not need to be "aimed" at the SUV market to be also aimed at the AWD market.  I no longer consider them the same.  I would consider a Rondo or even the upcoming Soul as a replacement vehicle IF it had AWD.  Subaru can do it, why not Kia or anyone else for that matter? :think:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 08:35:02 pm »

It does not need to be "aimed" at the SUV market to be also aimed at the AWD market.  I no longer consider them the same.  I would consider a Rondo or even the upcoming Soul as a replacement vehicle IF it had AWD.  Subaru can do it, why not Kia or anyone else for that matter? :think:

Which is precisely the point I was making in my previous post. When I think if AWD non-SUVs I think not only Subaru, but also the Matrix AWD which, when it was new was quite popular - and for good reason. I am simply suggesting that an AWD option could round out the lineup nicely, that's all.

Either way, I agree it's an impressive vehicle.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 08:37:09 pm »
I think I'll be a huge fan of the Soul once it arrives. Eagerly awaiting it.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:54 am »
I think I'll be a huge fan of the Soul once it arrives. Eagerly awaiting it.
It's a pretty scary looking concept though. I am sure that it will be honed down somewhat for production, but agree it could be another Kia winner.

perfecto

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 04:01:30 pm »
So, is the rumor true, does the 2008 Rondo offer a manual transmission?

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »
So, is the rumor true, does the 2008 Rondo offer a manual transmission?

Nope, it looks like it's not to be. :( According to the brochure I just downloaded from the Kia website, the only trannies available are 4 and 5-speed slushboxes. Dynamically speaking, the Rondo's a bit on the soft side, so I don't think a MT wouldn't appeal to it's target audience anyway. It's still an attractive vehicle, but it  would be nice if Kia offered people like me a slightly lowered Sport version with MT, stiffer shocks/springs and a Sport wheel/tire package. If they could keep the price a couple of grand below an equivalent Mazda5 GT, Kia would have something.  Oh, well.... :brkhrt:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:31:05 pm by Schmengie »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 06:04:16 pm »
they do offer a manual transmission for the Carens (Rondo in the rest of the world).  I think the sportier version maybe something like some of the new vehicles in the Ceed family, but unfortunately all this is currently not available in North America.

Manual transmissions generally do not sell well in sufficient volume for a lot of vehicles in North America.  A good example is the CR-V, when prior to 2007 they offered a manual and auto, but when they redesigned it for 2007 they dropped the manual as they said it only accounted for 5% of their sales and judging from there sales success with the new model, it was a wise decision.  The Rondo does have a manual operated auto transmission called the Steptronic.

The Specta 5 and Rio 5 both have available manual transmissions, but no where near the room of the Rondo.  I did a side by side comparison at the dealers and still prefer the Rondo.  I believe KIA has come a long way in the last couple of years with there quality control which should translate into reliability.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 08:36:20 pm »
A week ago I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a 2008 KIA Rondo EX, 5-seater with the 4 cylinder engine.  It is in Aqua silver.
Very impressed with the power from the 2.4L, its quiet, smooth and a joy to drive.  Also like the heated seats and exterior heated mirrors.  The fit and finish is hard to fault and I went over it in detail.  The standard stereo system sounds fantastic through the standard six speakers.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 11:59:16 am »
Congrats on the new Rondo conwelpic!!!

:ttiwwp: