Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe  (Read 20179 times)

mdxtasy

Re: CD Article: 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 03:45:26 pm »
A G37 M6 in Canada is just under $50K, a similar equipped 335i coupe is just under $60K. A roughly $10k difference in Canada. But, as Mitlov says, the G37 may depreciate faster. You make the call as to which one you'd buy - I know my choice.  ;D

In the US we're talking a difference between a $36,000 car and a $45,000 car.  80% of the price.  And the extra interest from financing the Bimmer would wipe out the benefit of slower depreciation.

ovr50 would likely take the Bimmer.  I'd be tempted by the G37, because, among other things, I like my cars to have dipsticks.

Hubba, hubba, daht coupe is nice...

Mitlov, I had been reading up on the RX8, and thought, Whoa, that's the car for Mitlov. Now this. Aaahhh, it's a toss-up again!   ;D

RX8 is quite a bit cheaper than the G (and the cheaper Z). 

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 03:46:42 pm »
And the RX8 has four doors.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 04:02:19 pm »
Yes, the RX8 has four doors, and is considerably cheaper than either the G37 and the 335i BUT: 1. it is not considered a competitor to these two, 2. the Rotary engine requires you to keep it at a boil as the torque is low (ie. you have to work harder at it, as IMO, there is no substitute for torque) and 3. I predict resale of the RX8 to be much poorer than the other two as they are hard sells new, and much discounting is going on with the RX8. To me, the RX8 would not enter into a 335i vs G37 decision.

And yes, I have driven the RX8 (before anyone asks).  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mdxtasy

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 04:14:03 pm »
Yes, the RX8 has four doors, and is considerably cheaper than either the G37 and the 335i BUT: 1. it is not considered a competitor to these two, 2. the Rotary engine requires you to keep it at a boil as the torque is low (ie. you have to work harder at it, as IMO, there is no substitute for torque) and 3. I predict resale of the RX8 to be much poorer than the other two as they are hard sells new, and much discounting is going on with the RX8. To me, the RX8 would not enter into a 335i vs G37 decision.

The RX8 is a 350Z competitor....and recently beat it in the C/D showdown.  It does take high rpm runs to get the most out of that rotary, but it also takes some skill to drive that car and keep it up in the higher rev band.  Torque is good, and flexible to get you out of trouble if you're caught out of gear.  But, the RX8 offers fast spinning sounds and smooth revs that seem to go on forever.  The RX8 needs more power, but it's handling is so crisp.

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 04:28:20 pm »

I agree that the RX-8 is in a totally different price class than the 335i and G37 (even more so when you're looking at used RX-8s from around 2005, like I am).  Price-wise, the RX-8 is comparable to the 350Z, but it also offers day-to-day practicality and comfort that the 350Z lacks.  On the other hand, if you like torquey engines instead of rev-happy engines (and that's a vanilla versus chocolate question, not a better versus worse), the RX-8 won't make you happy.

Nissan made the Foria concept car a couple years ago, which would have been a more direct competitor to the RX-8 (except for the engine), but I haven't heard any rumors about it reaching production.  Maybe they could use it to bring back the Silvia nameplate...but I digress.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:35:07 pm by Mitlov »

Wolfe

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 10:16:33 pm »
An optional Four-Wheel Active Steer system (4WAS) uses a series of sensors, including vehicle speed and steering angle, and separately directs both the front and rear actuators that can change steering gear ratios and the wheel rear geometry (by up to one degree).

From a driver perspective the difference is subtle. During my short time in cars with and without 4WAS on dry roads, the most notable difference was during quick lane changes. The G with 4WAS did it with ease and was more stable.

4WAS eh, my rusty 15 year old Nissan has the Super HICAS system which fits that description exactly. :rofl2: It does make a noticible difference in how the car corners. You feel the back end of the car coming around and the nose tucks in a bit differently in a turn. Because the system is speed sensitive it can seem unpredictable at first. The first time I felt the HICAS cut in at highway speed going around a bend I nearly soiled myself. I haven't noticed the HICAS system working when changing lanes though.

If I were buying a G37 I would not get the 4WAS. Not a chance.

Anyone planning to track a G37 with 4WAS had better know how the 4WAS works at the handling limit very very well or else. :foil:

It looks great :drool:, but IMO there's too much luxo-junk in this car (I know it's a luxury brand but I'd love a stripped version of this car.)

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 01:07:06 am »
I love the stock exhaust note of the previous G35 coupe...wonder what this one sounds like.  :drool:

Still sounds really good from these previews....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Zd0MeuTOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGFP3TZFeg

But I agree, it could still be a bit louder...

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 02:20:00 am »
It looks great :drool:, but IMO there's too much luxo-junk in this car (I know it's a luxury brand but I'd love a stripped version of this car.)

Do you need four seats?  Because I'm sure that there's a 370Z just around the bend.

mdxtasy

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:19 am »

Do you need four seats?  Because I'm sure that there's a 370Z just around the bend.

Even that car has a bunch of gizmos....friend has a 350Z, great car but geez, nobody needs all those things.

Wolfe

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 03:27:25 pm »

No I don't need four seats, but I don't like the looks of the 350Z so unless they do a wholesale redesign when they introduce the 370Z  :-\.

mdxtasy

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 03:34:32 pm »

No I don't need four seats, but I don't like the looks of the 350Z so unless they do a wholesale redesign when they introduce the 370Z  :-\.

She's rather portly...and there's no intention of hiding it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:33 pm »
 From a Portia Homey...... ::) ??? :P :halffro: :banana:... :stick: :stick:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Wolfe

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 05:50:17 pm »

:o So she is! I just looked up the curb weights for the G35 coupe and 350Z, 3500+lbs and 3400+lbs respectively. I knew they'd weigh over 3000lbs but I figured it would be much closer to 3000 than 4000lbs.

For comparison my front engined, rear wheel drive Nissan weighs 2747lbs. The coupe version of the 240SX weighed a bit less than that.

ghost

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:51 pm »

The old G35 Coupe was a competitor to the RX-8 btw.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/4346/2003-ford-svt-cobra-v-2003-infiniti-g35-v-2004-mazda-rx-8.html

Being a coupe with back seat, it makes the G-coupe a competitor to the rx-8 around the same price range. For those who prefers the visceral experience, the G coupe will be a disappointment. But apart from that the G-coupe is handsomely nice car! More cohesively designed than the Z. If money is a non-issue, I'd get the 335i and Vishnu-fied it.Then again, I'd prolly buy a Cayman S as I prefer driving feedback.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 10:26:55 pm »

:o So she is! I just looked up the curb weights for the G35 coupe and 350Z, 3500+lbs and 3400+lbs respectively. I knew they'd weigh over 3000lbs but I figured it would be much closer to 3000 than 4000lbs.

For comparison my front engined, rear wheel drive Nissan weighs 2747lbs. The coupe version of the 240SX weighed a bit less than that.

It will be rare that any car coming out these days will be under 3000 lbs - especially when small economy cars like the Mini Cooper are over 2700 lbs.   Even "bigger" economy cars like the Mazda 3 and the Rabbit are over 3000 lbs. Everyone supposedly wants airbags, high crash test ratings, high quality plastic interiors, and additional luxury features.

Supposedly the G37 is heavier than the G35 because of the additional reinforcements required for the longer doors.

Offline Canadiain

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 Civic, '07 Legacy Wagon
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 05:09:32 pm »
There has been some discussion here on price comparison between the G35, Bimmer and RX8

What I want to know is how Infinity justify selling this for a base of $47k in Canada, Compared to $US 31.5k  ($CDN 34k at current exchange rates) south of the border.  OK, so the canadian dollar is strong at the moment, but its been at least 4 years since the US dollar was worth 40% more than the loonie.

Compare the 40% markup on the Infinity with 30% for the Mazda and only 17% for the BMW, and it looks like a pretty expensive daylight running light module to justify a price differential of over 10 grand! For that reason alone I wouldnt do business with them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:11:25 pm by Canadiain »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 07:15:35 pm »
I'd take the BMW as well. Its only money.

My boss had a G35 coupe which he liked a lot, I found it uncomfortable to sit in  ( he and I are about the same build). I preferred the G35 sedan.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »
I noticed that Infiniti has a G37 Couple at the new Cirque du Soleil show at the corner of Cherry St and Commissions.  I'll have to see if they will let me in the gate to look at the car on my way home tomorrow. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 10:20:04 am »
I think this is just a terrific coupe.  It's strong point compared to the BMW is style.  Sure, that's completely subjective, but the G37 gives you a lot more visual drama as compared to it's sedan stablemate than does the BWM, which is handsome enough, but you have to count the doors to distinguish it from the sedan.  Great effort by Infiniti, IMHO - and a huge saving over the BMW. 

When considering whether the 10k price difference might be offset the better resale of the BMW, don't forget to factor in the interest you would earn on that 10k with the G versus the tax and interest you would pay on that 10k with the 335.  The price gap widens significantly.

Oh, and did I misread, or did somebody describe the torque on the RX8 as "good"?  :rofl:

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.